GiantsFan

How much Ammo can you legally keep at home in NJ?

I'm not advocating fear but ignoring reality based on your perception of legal/illegal is almost ignorant. What you seem to be missing is that there are times that it doesn't matter how right you are, how clear the law being on your side is, or how many people know you are in the right, if are in a system that is flawed to begin with. I certainly am not saying anyone needs to be scared and paranoid, and not do legal things because of it, but if you think you are immune to the system, you may need to take a deeper look.

In the end it is your choice and you are free to do as you please. In fact, many people are perfectly content with not knowing, and I can't blame them. Because after all, if you don't know, and it isn't effecting you, why care? Fair point.

the law CLEARLY says I can openly carry a gun on my property.. clear as day...

the law says to be more specific..

e. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him

PERIOD...

if you fear prosecution for carrying on your property.. then you might as well fear for simple ownership.. or transport to a range.. the law is specific.. there is no gray area here..

I think it's cute that you think 2000 rounds is "buying in bulk."

Not sure how much I have, but I think many, many people have 5K+ rounds of 22LR sitting about...

500rds and up is buying in bulk if your talking about anything larger then a .22...., when ammo is sold in boxes of 20 or 50 and you buy a "lot" of boxes its called bulk. Purchasing in bulk has nothing to do with what you personally have in stock. The best prices on 9mm and 5.56 are the 1000rd bulk cases. In fact most of the time 500rd and 1000rd cases are the largest bulk purchases u can make on most ammo. You can of course purchase multipile cases but the "bulk" factor doesnt chage, as in it doesnt get cheaper the more cases you buy.

Buying in bulk is relative to the round being purchased. Where you are purchasing multiple retail boxes(ussually the amount that is shipped from factory. for a discounted price. I went to ramsey outdoor and they had 1000rd cans of loose 5.56 for like $450, that to me is not bulk. They are retail cans and show retail price. However, u can go online and purchase bulk packs of 20rd boxes (50boxes) for $325 of the same exact stuff, that to me is bulk. When i get low on inventory i purchase another case since there is no benefit to buying more then 1 at a time other then having a stock pile.

It's easy to make jokes when your buying 5k+ rounds of 22lr for 200 bucks, hell i have 5k rounds of just 22lr from my bulk purchase, but i also buy 9mm per 1000 and 5.56 per 1000 as those are the best prices and normal all that is availibe. It doesnt get cheaper from their so unless your stock pileing ammo its personal opinion as to how much to have at any given time.

I have to say, personally I really appreciate vlad's point of view (probably because if his screen name is any indication our backgrounds are similar). I can also understand how most people want to avoid any trouble and stay off the law's radar. The thing is that the laws aren't going to get better when everybody complies with worse versions of what's currently the law. If the law is vague, yes exercise caution, but if the law is crystal clear I would never fear overzealous LEO. If I'm not willing to stand up for my rights how can I expect others to stand up for them.

Anyway, obviously do whatever you feel comfortable.

Like others have said, ammo is unlimited. Buy it cheap and stack it deep. You may want to consider ammo cans for storage and easy management of calibers as well. Plus its easier to move and stack in cans.

As for powder its 35 pounds, then it has to be stored in a wooden box capable of resisting fire for one hour. Me, personally I would invest in a steel cabinet and designate it flamable. Some guys go one step further and put a 1.4S hazard placard on their window so in case their house catches fire, the first responders don't blow them selves up. But its up to you.

And Salem county DOES have local PD's :lol: . I forget who mentioned we only have State Police, but its not true.

the law CLEARLY says I can openly carry a gun on my property.. clear as day...

the law says to be more specific..

PERIOD...

if you fear prosecution for carrying on your property.. then you might as well fear for simple ownership.. or transport to a range.. the law is specific.. there is no gray area here..

You are right the law is as clear as day, and I agree with you. BUT, what is going to happen, is the nosey neighbor that does not know anything about guns (because guns are so "TABOO" in NJ) is going to call the police saying there is a madman next door in his yard waiving a gun around. At that point the entire PD in your town will be alerted, and 20 cruisers and 10 unmarked cars will come to a schreaching halt in front of your house. 30 officers will surround your house with guns drawn while your whole neighborhood looks on. You will be sitting at your picnic table cleaning your handgun with your "NJ LAW BOOK" open to the page where it states that you are totally in the right, but it will not matter. Most cops will not know NJ gun laws, they just don't deal with them enough. So, your "NJ STATUES BOOK" will mean nothing at this point.They will handcuff you and take you out front of your house and put you in the car for all your neighborhood to see. You will get a lawyer, and will get off, but it will cost you in one way or another.

Im not trying to be negative, but I can see this happening very easily. Especially in a city like area where everyone is on a 40x100lot and your backyard is their backyard.

you should do your homework. I dont know where you got an idea that there was a limit!

Its very important for gun owners to learn the laws.

Which is why I came here to pose the question, right? What better place then this forum to learn the law, not just the written letter of it but opinions from others who know the ropes better then I at this point.

By the way, I had a strong suspicion when I posed the question in the first place that having a simple couple of thousand rounds would indeed be nothing and that (unless there was a law limiting it) many gun owners would probably have way more then that. I learned alot from this post and the many answers to both questions. By the way, buying in "bulk" to me means buying .40 Cal in 1000 round cases because it seems that is the biggest lot in which it is sold and the lowest price break, regardless of how many cases you order.

you should do your homework. I dont know where you got an idea that there was a limit!

He is new here and that is exactly what he is doing, I know I sure have learned a lot in my just over a year of being here.

UPS backs up their trucks into my driveway when I order ammo.... :)

I am just glad my UPS and FedEx guys both shoot and understand when I order ammo and supplied. However the heaviest order to date was only around 175 lbs and that's only 1 hand truck to my door. :icon_lol:

Now when I order from Delta Precision, they usually come USPS, I have a great mailman, but while he doesn't like the heavy boxes, he knows whats in them and does what ever he need to do, so no issue there. :icon_mrgreen:

you should do your homework.

As noted before, he is, in this thread.

What law is he supposed to learn here? There is no law. He may have looked at the NJSP site but it didn't mention anything or maybe he googled it and found no hard limits. A similar example would be the amount of powder you are allowed to have. You have to hunt for an answer, it isn't obvious.

I dont know where you got an idea that there was a limit!

Hmm. Not sure about you, but every article I read where a "dangerous madman" has any quantity of ammo larger than what fits in the magazine, it's called an "Arsenal" or "Cache" of ammunition. They often go on to say "They found 600 rounds of ammunition in the vehicle" or some other quantity in a tone of abject terror. Saying "He had a brick of 22, a box of 9mm and a box of .38 special" just doesn't inspire the same amount of fear and loathing.

There was a proposal in Brady Bill 2 which proposed an arsenal license back in the 1990's and it was supposed to be nationwide. Occasionally the 'arsenal license' question does come up on forums. Luckily this piece of tripe never got traction.

http://www.firearmsandliberty.com/brady2.html

SEC. 204. FEDERAL ARSENAL LICENSE.

(a) Offense.--Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, as amended by

section 203(a), is amended by adding at the end the following new subsection:

"(x) It shall be unlawful for a person to possess more than 20 firearms

or more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition unless the person--

"(1) is a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed

dealer; or

"(2) has been issued an arsenal license pursuant to section 923(m).".

"(iii) paid an arsenal license fee of $300 for a 3-year license

period; and

"(B) the Secretary has determined that the information in the

application is accurate, based in part upon name- and fingerprint-based

research in all available Federal, State, and local recordkeeping

There was a proposal in Brady Bill 2 which proposed an arsenal license back in the 1990's and it was supposed to be nationwide. Occasionally the 'arsenal license' question does come up on forums. Luckily this piece of tripe never got traction.

Thank god. My range trip load out typically exceeds 1000 rounds, not that I ever shoot that much, but because I bring 200+ in each caliber and usually have 5+ firearms of different calibers.

Its not bulk untill theres partial pallets and/or crates arriving at home LOL

Also, I wouldnt buy a gun safe just for ammo. Its not like it can be used wrongly if the guns are locked up. I keep mine in a pile in the basement. I used to keep it upstairs untill the load bearing walls on the floor below started cracking. No joke. You will (should?) outgrow that safe in no time...

On a side note: Under Brady 2 there was a proposal for a National One handgun a month and it looks like the NJ One Gun a Month law looks a lot like the one proposed under Brady 2 back in 1994.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

EC. 301. PROHIBITION ON MULTIPLE HANDGUN TRANSFERS.

(a) In General.--Section 922 of title 18, United States Code, as amended

by section 204(a), is amended by adding at the end the following new

subsection:

"(y)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any

person to--

"(A) receive transfer of more than 1 handgun during any 30-day

period;

"(B) transfer to another person more than 1 handgun during any 30-day

period; or

"© transfer a handgun to another person if the transferor knows or

reasonably should know that such person has received transfer of another

handgun during the previous 30-day period.

"(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to--

"(A) a transfer of a handgun to a person who is licensed under

section 923;

"(B) a transfer of a handgun by inheritance;

"© a transfer of a handgun if another handgun is given by the

transferee to the transferor in exchange; or

"(D) a transfer of a handgun that has been approved by the chief law

enforcement officer of the State of residence of the transferee in

accordance with regulations issued by the Secretary under subsection (b).

"(3) As used in this subsection, the term 'chief law enforcement officer

of the State' has the meaning stated in section 922(u)(7) of title 18, United

States Code.".

(b) Regulations.--Not later than 60 days after the date of enactment of

this Act, the Secretary shall prescribe regulations that--

(1) provide procedures for a chief law enforcement officer to approve

the transfer of more than 1 handgun during a 30-day period if--

(A) the transferee is a private security company licensed to do

business in the State where the transfer takes place; or

(B) the transferee is replacing a handgun that had been received

and then stolen within the 30-day period; and

(2) require a person who is licensed under section 923, before

transferring a handgun, to receive a sworn statement from the transferee

that the transferee has not received transfer of another handgun during

the prior 30-day period.

© Maintenance of Records.--Section 923(g)(3)(B) of title 18, United

States Code, is amended by striking all of the paragraph after "entity" and

by inserting "other than Federal, State, or local law enforcement

authorities.".

(d) Penalty.--Section 924(a)(1)(B) of title 18, United States Code, as

amended by section 101©, is amended by striking "or (u)" and inserting

"(u), or (y)".

(e) Effective Date.--Subsections (a) and (d) shall become effective on

the date that is 30 days after the effective date of the regulations

prescribed under subsection (b).

You are right the law is as clear as day, and I agree with you. BUT, what is going to happen, is the nosey neighbor that does not know anything about guns (because guns are so "TABOO" in NJ) is going to call the police saying there is a madman next door in his yard waiving a gun around. At that point the entire PD in your town will be alerted, and 20 cruisers and 10 unmarked cars will come to a schreaching halt in front of your house. 30 officers will surround your house with guns drawn while your whole neighborhood looks on. You will be sitting at your picnic table cleaning your handgun with your "NJ LAW BOOK" open to the page where it states that you are totally in the right, but it will not matter. Most cops will not know NJ gun laws, they just don't deal with them enough. So, your "NJ STATUES BOOK" will mean nothing at this point.They will handcuff you and take you out front of your house and put you in the car for all your neighborhood to see. You will get a lawyer, and will get off, but it will cost you in one way or another.

Im not trying to be negative, but I can see this happening very easily. Especially in a city like area where everyone is on a 40x100lot and your backyard is their backyard.

we will simply agree to disagree.. because the same could be said with putting rifle cases in your car...

"hello.. 911"

"my neighbor snapped... he is loading up all these guns into his car.. I don't know what he is doing or where he is going.. send cops right away!"

making the assumption that a 911 call of a man with a gun on his property is going to lead to an automatic arrest and never ending legal battle is fear mongering... you are assuming the police are completely brainless.. they will ask questions.. did you threaten your neighbor.. did you point your gun at the neighbor.. obviously NO you didn't.. you will explain CALMLY you just got back from the range.. and it is a nice day out.. so you were cleaning your gun.. outside.. on your property..

treating guns as if they are some automatic ticket to jail.. treating them like they are something to be hidden in the darkness.. just keeps us that much further behind other states.. if WE treat guns like they are evil and need to be hidden.. it is no wonder that others do the same...

but like I said.. no worries.. I guess we agree to disagree..

• Like 1

Never enough...

If this is actually you garage or shed, I am totally jealous!

I will show this picture to my wife, she thinks I'm nuts, she ain't seen nuttin yet!

I usually have 10 cases of 12 gauge as my bare minimum, we both like to shoot shotguns a lot, well maybe I like to more than she does, but still, it goes FAST!

Other ammo, I try to keep at least 1000 rounds of each caliber around, .22 is a joke, must have 20K rounds or more, when it's on sale I buy it. Takes-up very little room compared to my Mosin stuff and shotgun cases!

As far as walking-around my property with my guns, I really don't. My neighbors know what I have, some like it, some don't like guns. They have known me for a long time, they aren't nervous. My one neighbor laughs when he sees the long gun bags being loaded into one of the cars/trucks, he knows where we're going and wants to join! I only carry the stuff between the garage and house when cleaning them, or from the house to the cars when going to a range. Other than that, I don't carry them around. The police in my town, well, my friend is the detective in charge of all the firearm ID's and PPP's, he's jealous of what we have bought and wants to go shooting with us. :)

Gee thanks fof helping to intimidate honest law abiding citizens. I have been hassled by the police for having a gun on me, on my property. Yes, they are idiots and so are the people that called them. They pushed the envelope while giving me the third degree and treated me like a criminal. I walked a fine line between really pissing them off and educating them. Cops do not like to corrected.

The folks in NJ that are shocked and frightened when they see a gun need to be desensitized!

Would anyone even bat an eye in Texas or Montana if they witnessed me carrying a gun on my own property? Hell no! Why should they intimidate me here?

I refuse to be intimidated. I have stickers on my car, stickers on my front door, and wear NRA and other shooting related apparel. I don't expected to be targeted for robbery or burglary and I do live on the edge of the jungle.

I have about $100,000.00 worth of tools and equipment in my place too. Should I take down my sign advertising auto repair so nobody is tempted to steal my tools?

JMHO

• Like 1

They pushed the envelope while giving me the third degree and treated me like a criminal.

JMHO

Not trying to intimidate. I am just being realistic. Just trying to save people headaches, harassment, embaressment, time, and money. LIke you said, you were treated like a criminal. And you will be treated like a criminal no matter how right you are. This is NJ, guilty until proven innocent.

And no, no one would bat an eye in Texas, VA, FL etc. But we are in a State that considers guns to be taboo.

I really have no need to walk around my property with a gun for all my neighbors to see. If I lived on a large property in a rural area with bear sightings being normal, then maybe. But no one would see me anyway.

Not trying to intimidate. I am just being realistic. Just trying to save people headaches, harassment, embaressment, time, and money.

And no, no one would bat an eye in Texas, VA, FL etc. But we are in a State that considers guns to be taboo.

I really have no need to walk around my property with a gun for all my neighbors to see. If I lived on a large property in a rural area with bear sightings being normal, then maybe. But no one would see me anyway.

it is NOT the "need to walk around your property with a gun" it is the "FEAR" that doing so while you are within your rights will lead you down a never ending legal death spiral..

Didn't you move to PA to avoid NJ's insane ways?

in the process of...

I am moving to PA for a LOT of reasons.. firearms being one.. cost of land and property another.. taxation yet another.. getting "away" from some many people.. another.. I could make you a list a mile long.. doesn't change the fact that I would LOVE to see NJs ways change.. you have to understand.. for me.. it was a no brainer.. to leave.. for others the choices is not "so easy".. so for those people.. I would like to see change.. change is not going to come from treating a hobby you love.. like it is some dirty secret to be hidden.. something to be afraid of.. especially if you are within the boundaries of the law.. that is all I was saying..

in the process of...

I am moving to PA for a LOT of reasons.. firearms being one.. cost of land and property another.. taxation yet another.. getting "away" from some many people.. another.. I could make you a list a mile long.. doesn't change the fact that I would LOVE to see NJs ways change.. you have to understand.. for me.. it was a no brainer.. to leave.. for others the choices is not "so easy".. so for those people.. I would like to see change.. change is not going to come from treating a hobby you love.. like it is some dirty secret to be hidden.. something to be afraid of.. especially if you are within the boundaries of the law.. that is all I was saying..

It's not a dirty little secret. When the laws change and I am sure I will not be harrased for being within my rights, I will start open carrying on my property. Until then, I will just carry concealed on my property if i feel the need to..... :D

freedom and justice are priceless to me.. and they are a fight worth having.... I am sure if I was arrested.. processed.. placed in jail for something unjust.. when the law is CLEARLY on my side.. I would have no problem obtaining legal council.. and further not too much trouble pushing back and suing for reimbursement of all the wrongs the "system" cost me.. while that is a fight I do NOT welcome.. it is a fight I do NOT fear..

AMEN ! Been there ,done that.

It's not a dirty little secret. When the laws change and I am sure I will not be harrased for being within my rights, I will start open carrying on my property. Until then, I will just carry concealed on my property if i feel the need to..... :D

the law is already on your side.. that is the point of this whole discussion.... ;)