NJdiverTony

Mark III vs. Ruger 22/45 vs. M&P.22 vs. GSG-1911

I just cleaned mine after this thread reminded me i put it away dirty. It's so easy to do now, it takes a couple times to really get the hang of it. I feel so bad whacking it with a 2x4 to get the barrel on/off but hey, it works lol.

I'm in the market for a .22 cal, but the whole lengthy, involved breakdown procedure for the Ruger MKIII or the Browning Buckmark, is a total turn-off. I'll pass on these, even though I know they are great guns at the range. Its too bad they didn't consider the disassembly involved when they designed it. Especially since the .22 is an inherently dirty round.

I'm looking to get the new Ruger SR22 when my new permit arrives.

I'm in the market for a .22 cal, but the whole lengthy, involved breakdown procedure for the Ruger MKIII or the Browning Buckmark, is a total turn-off. I'll pass on these, even though I know they are great guns at the range. Its too bad they didn't consider the disassembly involved when they designed it. Especially since the .22 is an inherently dirty round.

Lengthy? It takes 1 min to take it apart or put it together, u just need to know how to do it. And a 22 isn't dirty unless your shooting dirty loads. I use federal bulk and it's not all that bad after 200 rounds. There are no rails to clean, the bolt pulls strait out for a detail cleaning, the firing pin is exposed for easy cleaning.

Honestly, people just get tripped up with the spring mech. It has to sit a certain way during assembly,on the last step when you snap the trigger spring back into place face the barrel up. Oh and the mag needs to be inserted in order to manipulate the trigger. Let's just say someone figured out the hard part for us, because rugers instructions were, well, lacking detail.

I'll take the preference over looks argument anyday. But once you learn how to strip a ruger, it's no harder then any other gun u might buy.

• Like 1

While I can't field strip the MK III as fast as my Glock (5 seconds or less) but I don't think around 30 seconds to strip a MK IIi is really too bad.

• Like 1

I'm in the market for a .22 cal, but the whole lengthy, involved breakdown procedure for the Ruger MKIII or the Browning Buckmark, is a total turn-off. I'll pass on these, even though I know they are great guns at the range. Its too bad they didn't consider the disassembly involved when they designed it.

How many times do I have to hear this? I don't understand why people say this so often. How many of you have these pistols, or have even bothered to look at the field strip process? My guess is maybe....2? They are not difficult. It is not lengthy. It only takes 4-5 steps, depending on what you consider a step.

How many people complain about the process to break down and resemble a 1911? There are more steps involved there but how many people don't get one because of the lengthy process involved?

• Like 1

Aesthetically, I like the Hunter the best... But was wondering if one had an advantage over the other in regards to bullseye or target shooting? I would think that the fiber optic sight would be better for target shooting... I would end up putting a red dot sight on it eventually anyway, so the front sight is not that big of a deal.

Is there any reason to consider some of the other MK III models with the slightly shorter barrel? Or is it best to stick with the long barrel?

In my opinion, due to the design of the long barrel Mark III, it will out shoot any of these other guns all day long.

• Like 1

Just wanted to chime in about the whole "Ruger Mark III is hard to take apart" etc. since I just got a new MarkIII Hunter and just took it apart and cleaned it last night.

I believe this gun has built that reputation from people whining about their first few cleans. The gun comes from the factory very tight and does require a rubber or plastic mallet to take apart. The other thing, as mentioned, is that people don't realize the hammer has to be in the fully forward position when you pop in the spring mechanism back in. As mentioned the Ruger manual instructions are severely lacking, but if you watch someone do it once (in person or youtube) you see how easy it is. Also after a few times the parts slide out much easier.

And considering if you take care of it, it will outlast your grandchildren...you've got plenty of time to practice taking it apart.

Just wanted to chime in about the whole "Ruger Mark III is hard to take apart" etc. since I just got a new MarkIII Hunter and just took it apart and cleaned it last night.

I believe this gun has built that reputation from people whining about their first few cleans. The gun comes from the factory very tight and does require a rubber or plastic mallet to take apart. The other thing, as mentioned, is that people don't realize the hammer has to be in the fully forward position when you pop in the spring mechanism back in. As mentioned the Ruger manual instructions are severely lacking, but if you watch someone do it once (in person or youtube) you see how easy it is. Also after a few times the parts slide out much easier.

And considering if you take care of it, it will outlast your grandchildren...you've got plenty of time to practice taking it apart.

Definitely. The thing is built like a tank. I was really impressed with the built quality of the Hunter, even more so that the regular Mark IIIs. And it shoot like a dream. I love it.

If you are going to use it outside "hunting" then the Hunter is nice with the fiber optic barrel and the rear V site. However, if you are going to use it to shoot at targets, then I prefer the traditional sights hands down.

I know someone that broke the frame, carelessly, on a 22/45 while cleaning it when he hit it with an accidental hammer blow. I would go for the all-steel Mark instead of the 22/45. I like it much better.

My favorite of the Marks is a stainless Mark II Target w/ a 5.5" bull barrel, and it is my favorite gun to clean because I like the challenge of getting into the zone to do it.

I'm not sure if he mean the trigger hammer, but still... the trigger hammer shouldn't work when disassembled unless he put the hammer spring back in before putting the barrel back on, which is a goof up.

Other then that.. accidental hammer blow? why would u be swinging a metal hammer at your gun? Unless your the hulk and can manage serious damage with a rubber mallet.