NJdiverTony

Mark III vs. Ruger 22/45 vs. M&P.22 vs. GSG-1911

Depends. Mark 3 for precision shooting, M&P22 for action pistol practice(if I liked striker fired guns), GSG1911 for action pistol practice(since i prefer hammer-fired).

I was looking at the Mark III's online and noticed how angled the grip is and wasn't sure if would be weird like the Glock's... so then noticed the 22/45's which are basically the same as the Mark III but with a 1911 style grip, which is great as I already own a 1911 and love how it fits my hand. I don't know much about these guns though... so figured I'd see what kind of feedback I'd get on the forum here.

Going with what John said, they kind of all have their purpose.

I'd go with a Buckmark over any Ruger .22, but that's just me. I prefer them aesthetically as well as the way they handle and shoot. The Ruger .22's just don't do it for me.

I have a P22 and I love it. My gf shoots it more than I do but it's still fun as hell when I get my hands on it.

It all depends on what you want it for.

I've got a 22/45 and while the lower is polymer it is still a very nice gun. The 1911 grip angle feels great in the hand as well. I think it's a little more inexpensive then the mark III too. I do like the looks of the M&P but I have yet to shoot one.

I like the Mark III Hunter and the SIG 1911-22 about equally. I like the solid feel of the Mark III. I do not like cleaning the Mark III, although it isn't too bad if I follow along on Youtube when doing it. The SIG (GSG 1911) is just plain fun to shoot. It was a little picky with Ammo until it was broken in, but now it shoots just about all of the cheap stuff as long as it is high velocity. I do not like the stock sights on it, and I don't think it is nearly as durable as the Ruger. I want to put a standard 1911 adjustable sight on the rear and a fiber optic one on the front, but haven't gotten around to it, yet. I have heard a little filing is necessary to install the 1911 rear sight. If I could update the sights, it would be my favorite, but in a SHTF time and place, I would want the Ruger Mark III. A buddy has the 22/45 and I like it, but not as much as the all-steel Mark III.

For durability, get the Mark III. For fun, get the GSG 1911. If you want to compromise, get the 22/45 and call it a day. Personally, though, I find a stainless 22LR double action revolver much more enjoyable at the range for a variety of reasons. I wish Ruger would come out with a 10-shot Ruger GP100 22LR with a combo 22WMR cylinder. I'd get rid of all of these and buy a 5" Ruger GP100 and call it a day. Heck, I might even get a princess S&W 617.

I might get the M&P if I had a center-fired one that was a primary gun, but if I wanted that style, I would probably look at the brand spanking new Ruger. Ruger knows how to make 22LR stuff.

I was in the same boat and recently picked up the 22/45 a few weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I got the one with the slab-sided stainless barrel which came with two magazines. http://guns.findtheb...2245_Pistol.jpg

I like the look, accuracy, reliability, history and the fact that I could use this speedloader for $20, it also works for the buckmark.

Field stripping for cleaning is not a big deal, but not intuitive either because of the magazine disconnect feature.

Good luck.

The Ruger Mark III points real low for me. It does have a Glock like angle.

The Browning Buckmark is very nice. Points natural for me. Very solid and substantial.

The 1911 styles didn't appeal to me.

The M&P22 is a hammered gun although it looks like it's striker fired.

The P22 and probably the new Ruger 22 are very small guns.

Don't buy that speedloader! I have one and it loads so fast, you go through twice as much ammo in a shooting session. Since it works on my son's Buckmark and my Mk III, we always go through at least a brick every time we go shooting. ;)

We love the Mk III and the Buckmark, both excellent shooting pistols!

I have a P22 and I love it. My gf shoots it more than I do but it's still fun as hell when I get my hands on it.

It is a fun gun, waiting on a new Sear Spring for mine and thinking about making it an open gun just for the fun of it, and for my Wife and Daughter to play with. Still trying to get them out and maybe try Steel, but will see how that goes after the warm weather returns.

So, I think I'm definitely leaning towards the Ruger Mark III! Question... Do any of you guys know what the difference is between the Hunter model vs. the Competition model? The hunter has the fluted barrel which looks sweet (vs. the slab side barrel on the competition which I don't think is attractive at all) , but not sure if there is really any other difference? Also, I want this for plinking and range fun... and maybe some day will do some bullseye shooting... not sure. Is the longer barrel of the Hunter/Competition preferable over the slightly shorter barrel versions 6.7" vs. 5.5"? Or would I be OK with the slightly cheaper and shorter barrel versions of the Mark III?

The competition has a bull barrel and molded grips. It has a pronounced thumbrest for righty shooters. I don't prefer it to flat grips (as a southpaw). But, you could always replace the grips.

I like the Ruger mk .22 and would likely choose it over the other two. If you're looking to do target shooting, the Rugers are really top notch, durable, and hold their value well. I think that in the future, if I want something for gun games that would be better suited with combat sights, I would probably opt for the SIG 226 and get a .22 slide for cheap practice.

However, if I want a dedicated .22 pistol, I'm opting for the Ruger. It's just too fun to shoot.

The competition has a bull barrel and molded grips. It has a pronounced thumbrest for righty shooters. I don't prefer it to flat grips (as a southpaw). But, you could always replace the grips.

On Ruger's site... the Hunter and the Competition show the similar flat wood grips.

Competition:

10112.jpg

Hunter:

10118.jpg

According to the specs sheets, here are the differences.

- Hunter has fiber optic front sights, Competition shown as fixed front sights.

- Hunter is 4-oz lighter.

- Competition has right-handed thumbrest.

- Hunter has a MSRP $20.00 higher.

- Specs also shows Competition slightly wider, although I'm not sure how that could be.

Personal opinion only, but I prefer the looks of the Hunter.

- Specs also shows Competition slightly wider, although I'm not sure how that could be.

Personal opinion only, but I prefer the looks of the Hunter.

They may be including the protrusion of the thumbrest in that figure.

I've shot the Blued Mk iii bull barrel they have at SS, an old Mark i, and a Mark ii somewhere in between. I've also shot the competition (right handed)

I prefer the slab sided barrel to the fluted barrel, aesthetically. Also, I wouldn't miss the F/O front sight as a target pistol, I think.

Aesthetically, I like the Hunter the best... But was wondering if one had an advantage over the other in regards to bullseye or target shooting? I would think that the fiber optic sight would be better for target shooting... I would end up putting a red dot sight on it eventually anyway, so the front sight is not that big of a deal.

Is there any reason to consider some of the other MK III models with the slightly shorter barrel? Or is it best to stick with the long barrel?

I have a Ruger Mk III target, and after owning it for some time now i am very happy i didn't go with something else. I like the heavy bull barrels. Not a single issue with it.. not one. Deadly accurate even with hv bulk federal ammo. Not sure about the other models, but it comes pre-drilled and includes the top mount rail. hi viz Fiber optic sights fit all the MKII and MkIII models, do not let that be a determining factor they simply replace the stock one using stock screws..

When it comes down to it, any ruger MKIII will serve you well, pick the one that looks/feels the best to you.

Is the longer barrel of the Hunter/Competition preferable over the slightly shorter barrel versions 6.7" vs. 5.5"? Or would I be OK with the slightly cheaper and shorter barrel versions of the Mark III?

I vote 22/45 because it's super accurate and a classic. A billion customization options (i.e. Volquartsen) and they come drilled and tapped for optics. Ruger is thoughtful enough to include the optic base mount with your gun.

To the question, I have a 22/45 5.5 inch Target. I don't know if there's much of an advantage in the 5.5 vs. 6.7 (aside from sight radius). Just make sure to get one with the bull, slab or fluted barrel - all are fantastic.