M1152

Saiga .223 Conversion questions

@ 'vladtepes - Thanks, I used the 922® Worksheet for AK-47 Builds you posted and was OK. I figured for an extra $12 I'd go for the extra 922 part but I didn't realize its more trouble than it's worth right now. That is something to do later on.... In about an hour or so and going to start taking it apart.

If you have us furniture and us fire control group I doubt u would need piston

Here I ordered a piston on that’s on the sidelines when I should have ordered a trigger guard. So far so good. No damage to the receiver but I brushed the trigger guard with the grinder but I think that part is concealed. The scratch is superficial and may be concealed with the grip. My removal was somewhat unconventional so the trigger guard is still attached to the throw-away plate via the spot weld. Tomorrow I go over to HomeDepot and pick up some Loctite, paint, screws, and a cobalt bit so I can free up the trigger guard. With any luck I could get the trigger installed over the weekend, if I could figure that out I'll be very happy

Below is the Before (with 308) and current status, no after yet…

http://i1178.photobu...ld/P1030982.jpg

http://i1178.photobu...ld/P1030989.jpg

I had to buy more bits today to get the bottom plate off to save the trigger guard. More importantly I was able drill the hole inside the mag release with no problems. Blew it out with air and heated a little with torch (just to get the moisture out) and painted bottom with flat black. I wasn't able to find the paint vladtepes suggested at HomeDepot but I got Rust-Oleum Professional grade flat black, blended in nicely. Must be good, got some on my hand and can’t get it off LOL. I may give it one more coat tomorrow.

I put one screw in just so I could eye-ball it before I painted it. I really like the look so far. The PO ETA for the stock and hand guard is tomorrow which would be perfect timing. I hope the rest of the project goes as well. I think I'm going to like it allot.

P1030993-Copy.jpg

Assembled, holes plugged and done. @ vladtepes – I appreciate your help and all the other post here relative to the conversations and the entire NJGF for that matter. I picked up info from as many post as I could. I’m very happy with the end result, it now has that very agile feel like my SU16. This could very well become my favorite carbine. (308 top just for comparison)

after-Copy.jpg

To me it’s pretty funny that someone would take a brand new gun right out of the box and cut it up. The thing that concerned me going into the project was the trigger upgrade simply because I couldn’t see it that well in the video. I used the web tutorial you suggested which is very well documented and the CSS videos as my guides.

I had one scare with the video because it looked like I forgot to order a part but it was just a different style of the plate the locks the pins, I had to watch it several times before I figured it out. All and all it was a good experience. The other reason I held back on the 308 was I didn’t want it to look like a hack job with the abandoned holes. The binding screws in the web tutorial is a good idea but I didn’t want that color mismatch and more importantly I didn’t need binding post because I took your suggestion and went with the AXIS PIN RETAINING PLATE and did away with the spring, that was an excellent suggestion. I’d purchased plugs an a set of Allen screws from CCS so I had a choice of what to use to fill the holes. I would have had to drill the holes out (to make them larger) to use the plastic plugs, I didn’t want that so the Allen screws with Loctite which IMO blends in nicer.

You were correct; I love the look and feel. Again I didn’t want a hack job or something that “looked like” it was worked by some guy in his basement but I have to say it looks completely natural. It looks like it just came out of the box. Will I do the 308? Put it this way I'm not saying NO anymore, I think it i just a matter of time.....

@ vladtepes, you would be correct. it’s like the difference between a Porsche and old Chevy. Just want to add that I'm glad I did the 223 first, it was a little easier. As you know the 308 some added steps with the extra grinding on the hammer and locating your rear trigger hole. The web guide says 2.5 inches from rear, that may be true for the 7.62 x 39 but that is incorrect for the 308. I used the old trigger guard with Grip mounted to locate the new hole, it was closer to 2.29”. Anyway neither is a big deal since I had the experience of doing the 223 first so I knew my way around a little. Had I did the 308 first it would have been a more of a struggle for me. I didn't have to grind the safety on the 308 as it was needed on the 223 so I guess they are all a little different. Thanks for your help!

@ vladtepes, you would be correct. it’s like the difference between a Porsche and old Chevy. Just want to add that I'm glad I did the 223 first, it was a little easier. As you know the 308 some added steps with the extra grinding on the hammer and locating your rear trigger hole. The web guide says 2.5 inches from rear, that may be true for the 7.62 x 39 but that is incorrect for the 308. I used the old trigger guard with Grip mounted to locate the new hole, it was closer to 2.29”. Anyway neither is a big deal since I had the experience of doing the 223 first so I knew my way around a little. Had I did the 308 first it would have been a more of a struggle for me. I didn't have to grind the safety on the 308 as it was needed on the 223 so I guess they are all a little different. Thanks for your help!

lol no problem.. but it's funny.. once you did the 223 you probably would hold the 308.. and just think wtf.. this sucks.. and leaving it factory was probably unbearable.. lol

Nice work!

For future reference though, when coverting a saiga always fire it as a function test before cutting into it. It's rare but every so often a vodka special turns up that needs to be fixed by warranty before you start hacking into it. The example I always think of is a member over at the saiga forums who immediately converted his rifle only to realize the side rails were misaligned. I think Tom Cole at Cadiz Gunworks (they are authorized to do warranty work for the US market) hooked him up and did the repair work anyway.

BTW when I converted my 308 the trigger hole was already there, just covered by the bottom receiver plate. I think the very early crops of saiga rifles didn't have the trigger hole already cut so I'd be surprised if you had to do that with yours.

lol no problem.. but it's funny.. once you did the 223 you probably would hold the 308.. and just think wtf.. this sucks.. and leaving it factory was probably unbearable.. lol

that exactly right, they are great rifles right out of the box but it would have been very hard to leave it that way after seeing the transformation of the 223. Now I have a new concern, see below

For future reference though, when coverting a saiga always fire it as a function test before cutting into it. It's rare but every so often a vodka special turns up that needs to be fixed by warranty before you start hacking into it.

Excellent point.

EDIT: removed comments about tightness re-installing bolt assembly. I oiled the slots where the bolt assembly drops in and it seemed to have helped. Looking back even the dust cover and aftermarket mags are tight on the 308. Once the bolt assembly is it place everything works smoothly, there is no binding and the action is nice and quick so it had to be that way even prior to the conversion. I think it just needs more range time and lube to break-in, it was very dry so I’ll write this off as a false alarm. I hope to get out to the range soon; the trigger job alone should get me some better results

I dislike that I have to even ask this but here goes… Does anyone know off hand if we (as NJ residents) are legally permitted to have the vertical grip attached to the hand guard? The reason I’m asking is I like to get one with the built-in bipod. I’ve seen them in other forums but don’t want to peruse it if we can’t have them. I think with the bipod it would be helpful at the range. Got to love NJ, it is like living in another country

TIA

I dislike that I have to even ask this but here goes… Does anyone know off hand if we (as NJ residents) are legally permitted to have the vertical grip attached to the hand guard? The reason I’m asking is I like to get one with the built-in bipod. I’ve seen them in other forums but don’t want to peruse it if we can’t have them. I think with the bipod it would be helpful at the range. Got to love NJ, it is like living in another country

TIA

I view the AK platform as a run and gun center mass type gun..

bolting a plastic handle to a plastic rail that is screwed onto a plastic handguard.. gets choppy IMO..

I do however understand that the actual brand "grip pod" is supposed to be pretty heavy duty.. but they are generally attached to metal rails..

if you still wish to add the item you can.. legally do so.. but like I said.. I think it creates bad form and makes the weapon clumsy..

edit: I would sooner put a legit hi quality bipod on the 308 as that makes WAY more logical sense.