Dan

Marlin 1895SBL .45-70

Just pulled the trigger and placed the order. I'm not into the whole cowboy style scene, but I've always wanted a big bore lever action. This baby screamed at me and I couldn't resist. For me its the perfect combination of bling, boom, class, utility, and just a hint of tacticool with that rail.

I plan on hand loading the .45-70 ammo she consumes. I hear you can get some real performance out of it for use in modern firearms.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895SBL.asp

zoom_1895sbl.jpg

• Like 2

Dan, you'll find that this is a great example of Newton's third law....for every action there is an equal and opposite etc, etc , etc. I've shot Hornady Leverevolution out of my 1874 Sharps, that weighs upwards of 10 pounds and the recoil is significant and the Hornady stuff is loaded to 28K psi - mild for a modern .45-70. Neat gun, but I'd get on good terms with your orthopedist if you intend to hot rod the round to the rifles capability.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Can't wait for it to come!

Ordered some brass and 300gr cast rnfp bullets. Planning on a manageable cowboy load using varget for now. I'll start with that as it doesn't take much to punch holes in paper. :)

Eventually I'll load up a few bear loads just for the experience , and to practice for hog hunting that I've been thinking about.

Very nice rifle.

Wait until you try some handloaded 350 gr. Horn. FP's or RN's @ 2100fps. (A realistic handload with velocity numbers attainable with the standard 22" bbl.) They are attention-getters. Medium burn-rate powders are the rule here; IMR's 3031, 4895, 4064, and H4198, H335, Varget & H4895. I agree with Bob; be prepared.

There are some good light .45-70 lead loads to be found on the MarlinOwners forum if you search around for them. "Light" is defined by loads in the 1,000 - 1,300 fps range with fast-burning pistol powders pushing hard-cast lead slugs, sometimes with a gas-check at the base. This cartridge is very versatile.

She arrived last week. What a sweet looking gun. Hoping to shoot her this weekend. Loaded up 20 rounds of 45gr H4198 behind 300gr cast RNFP's. Its in the middle between trapdoor and modern 1895 lever action loads. Should be a good starting load as load data indicates 50-55gr of powder possible.

I had a problem with the Hornaday resizing die. Seems to have some longitudinal scorning that is scratching my brass. Just sent it off to Hornaday for some warranty care.

1895.jpg

Dude I am jealous! That thing is a beauty. I have the 1894c in 357 magnum and love it. I wouldnt mind getting one in 45-70. All you need now is one of those Derringers in 45-70 and your good. lol