smonmouth

Firearms in schoolzone charges

That is a good defense, "mens rea" comes into play here. I'm sure the lawyer will be all over it.

You'd be hard pressed to convince a jury he didn't know there was a gun in his truck that he put there. Mens Rea has little application to malum prohibitum crimes. You're guilty because you got caught doing it. Your mental state is irrelavent.

I know of a lot of criminals doing time for crimes where there was no evil state of mind.

You'd be hard pressed to convince a jury he didn't know there was a gun in his truck that he put there. Mens Rea has little application to malum prohibitum crimes. You're guilty because you got caught doing it. Your mental state is irrelavent.

I know of a lot of criminals doing time for crimes where there was no evil state of mind.

If the kid's father left the gun in the truck then yes, the kid did not knowingly possess it.

Thanks for that, it is true that his intent is not the issue. It is considered a strict liability crime, but the statute does have the element of knowledge being required.

If the kid's father left the gun in the truck then yes, the kid did not knowingly possess it.

Thanks for that, it is true that his intent is not the issue. It is considered a strict liability crime, but the statute does have the element of knowledge being required.

If the kid didn't know the gun was in the truck he would have to make a statement to the police or prosecutor or testify at trial. this would also require who did know the gun was there to do the same to verify the kid's statement. They would also have to explain how the gun was secured in a toolbox that was open enough to see the gun case. Very messy situation for the defense to try and talk themselves out of.

There is also the issue if the jury would believe someone did not know the gun was there.