RedBowTies88

Buying Black Powder Handguns Out of State..

So, I was thinking about getting into BP with a reproduction revolver. Last time I was in Cabelas talking to the gent behind the counter he informed me that he could absolutly sell me one as long as im over 18 as in PA they're not even really considered firearms.

My question is, Since it would be aquired legally is it legal to bring home and keep? I have an FID and am over the age of 21

Its a gray area. Federally you have to follow the laws of your home state as far as firearms go, but black powder guns are NOT firearms federally so thats out the window. I believe what guides you here is that since its obtained legally and you are not a prohibited persons, its good to go. It would be like owning a handgun outside of NJ and moving to NJ. You just bring the gun in with no extra papers or anything since you legally bought it(elsewhere). Of course, IANAL.

If you were to buy it IN NJ, you WOULD need a permit.

They are a hoot, if you arent decided already I'de get the remington 1858. The sights are 1000 times better than the colt, they are easier to take apart, and you can very easily adjust main spring tension.

BP1.jpg

BP2.jpg

Exactly, However if i LEGALLY purchase it in PA i should be ok to bring it home right? I would think it would be the same deal as people moving into NJ with guns purchased legally in their former home state..

of course that makes sense to you and I, state of NJ is probably completely different.

Its a gray area. Federally you have to follow the laws of your home state as far as firearms go, but black powder guns are NOT firearms federally so thats out the window. I believe what guides you here is that since its obtained legally, its good to go. It would be like owning a handgun outside of NJ and moving to NJ. You just bring the gun in with no extra papers or anything since you legally bought it(elsewhere). Of course, IANAL.

They are a hoot, if you arent decided already I'de get the remington 1858. The sights are 1000 times better than the colt, they are easier to take apart, and you can very easily adjust main spring tension.

BP1.jpg

BP2.jpg

Exactly the way I was thinking of it, Thanks man

hmmmm.......this is NJ.....so ultimately NJ veiws them exactly like a Glock.

You could simply get a P2P and order one from a gun shop, Cabela's black powder repro's are made by Pietta.

Or, you might, just might, be a test case with pricey lawyer fee's.

Maybe he shouldn't have blabbed it all over the interwebz :)

You could simply get a P2P and order one from a gun shop, Cabela's black powder repro's are made by Pietta.

Its a gray area. Federally you have to follow the laws of your home state as far as firearms go, but black powder guns are NOT firearms federally so thats out the window. I believe what guides you here is that since its obtained legally and you are not a prohibited persons, its good to go. It would be like owning a handgun outside of NJ and moving to NJ. You just bring the gun in with no extra papers or anything since you legally bought it(elsewhere). Of course, IANAL.

BP1.jpg

BP2.jpg

This^^^^^^^^^^^

As long as you purchase it legally, which in PA it would be if you are not a prohibited person, you legally can bring it back to NJ without a PPP. Once in NJ it must be transported like any real handgun.

if you are in PA shooting on your friends land can you use his 30 round mag? or since you are a NJ resident are you bound by NJ laws?

point being... you are subject to NJ laws while in NJ borders...

federal law prohibits buying firearms across state lines without following procedure.. BUT since BP is not a recognized firearm that aspect of the law is moot..

so you are IMO left with a situation where NJ can control BP within its borders.. but looses the control once you hit the borders...

you are right about the way THEY view it... so once you hit the border it needs to be transported in a method consistent with NJ law cased.. or in trunk.. directly to place of residence to exempted locations.. all that..