greatgunstatenj

How would you have reacted?

I was at a WMA with some friends this weekend shooting clays. While I'm helping a friend set up I notice a group gathered near the back of my buddy's truck. A friend of a friend (I've never me the guy) had shown up. He brought a handgun with him and was showing it off. I blurted out something to the effect of, "dude, wtf? put that thing away before you get us all in trouble". He acted casual stating it wasn't loaded and he had a lock. I told him I didn't care because none of that mattered as you can't just walk around with a handgun, WMA sites are not "exemption zones", WMA rules clearly prohibit the use of handguns. He acted like I was over reacting.

After he put the gun away I explained to him why I said what I said and gave some example of people suffering severe penalties in NJ because they weren't fully aware of how strict the laws are in this state. I impressed upon him and my other friends that you have to know the law because many times the LEOs won't and they will usually err on the side of you being a criminal.

My feeling is this, he was breaking the law and at a public WMA you never know who you are standing next to. The guy at the next stand could be a lawyer, an accountant, or a BATF agent.

I would have simply said the same thing I said to other people misusing WMA locations..

"WMA does not allow the use of that firearm.. if anyone is there or comes there who wants to make a big deal about it.. you will get screwed.. and you will likely lose your rights to legally own a gun.."

I think you did the right thing. Only thing I would have done differently would be to tell the guy to leave and bring the gun home (for his own good). I also wouldn't even want to be around the guy if an LEO showed up. Maybe I'm just overly cautious, but wouldn't even want to be associated with or linked to somebody that could potentially get in some serious trouble.

I would have asked if he thinks a 5 year minimum sentence in one of NJ's finest prisons without parole is overreacting.

I always feel compelled to help by imparting my knowledge of our laws on others, as so many people are just oblivious and break serious laws without intending to. Many times, they respond, with a "wow , I didn't know that, thank you". Obviously it is up to them to follow the advice or not, as they are the ones who have to live with their decisions.

Good job! You were stern yet explained it to him so he could understand there are severe consequences for his actions. BTW, I was at the Piney Hollow WMA about a year or so ago and my son and I were having fun shooting our .22. Some guy starting shooting .22's next to us then after a while he reaches into his bag and pulls out a .38 snub. I explained to the guy pretty much like you did but he actually KNEW it was wrong and did it anyway. I made it clear I am on his side in the sense we are both gun owners but was also clear that we could all be in trouble for his actions. He did not seem to care. I looked down at my watch and said "well son, I think it's time we go".

I did not know if this guy was a criminal and would do something to us...who knows? After saying that he put his snub in the bag and walked it to his car and that was the end of that.

I have never had a problem with anyone else at the WMA areas. Actuall all are very conservative and safety in their number 1 priority.

I would have told him to put it away or go away. If he wasnt a friend of a friend I'de be tempted to call a conservation officer if he was being a prick about it too. For some reason at the WMA you get alot of people who feel entitled. I was doing a class at clinton and when we called the line cold to put up stationary clay targets some guy flipped out and started screaming saying we cant do that :rolleyes: because this is public land. I guess he didnt read the rules.

Was he just showing the gun off, or intending on shooting it? If shooting it, well done explaining the rules.

Just to play devil's advocate, the transportation laws state you can travel to and from a shooting range, but does not specify that you must shoot the handgun at that shooting range. The state's WMA is a shooting range, and IMO an exempted location, even if you can't shoot a pistol there.

Just a thought to ponder.

Was he just showing the gun off, or intending on shooting it? If shooting it, well done explaining the rules.

Just to play devil's advocate, the transportation laws state you can travel to and from a shooting range, but does not specify that you must shoot the handgun at that shooting range. The state's WMA is a shooting range, and IMO an exempted location, even if you can't shoot a pistol there.

Just a thought to ponder.

I agree that it's an exempted location. If it was not, you wouldn't be able to shoot long guns there without a Purchaser ID. While hunting is exempted, you aren't hunting when you're shooting at clays or paper; ergo, its a range.

I was doing a class at clinton and when we called the line cold to put up stationary clay targets some guy flipped out and started screaming saying we cant do that :rolleyes: because this is public land. I guess he didnt read the rules.

I typically go to Clinton. Ninety-nine percent of the time it's great. Once in a blue moon there are some folks who appear to need a lesson in firearm safety.

Unsure, he had just gotten there. However, considering it was the skeet shooting area I certainly hope he didn't plan on using it there! :)

I didnt even know these area existed. On the web site it tells you what is permitted (Shotgun, Archery, MuzzleL etc) but doesnt say anything about rimfire rifles. Does that mean they are permitted at all the locations?

Not sure about all WMA areas but Clinton has a rimfire, muzzleloader, and shotgun range that is in a completely separate location (different driveway off of 173) than the skeet shooting field. The skeet field has a sign that spells out what can/cannot be used. Basically it says only shotguns with birdshot, no slugs/buckshot.

Not sure about all WMA areas but Clinton has a rimfire, muzzleloader, and shotgun range that is in a completely separate location (different driveway off of 173) than the skeet shooting field. The skeet field has a sign that spells out what can/cannot be used. Basically it says only shotguns with birdshot, no slugs/buckshot.

Is it not still a range by definition??? Is there anything in the LAW that say's the Range must allow you to X type of Gun?? :facepalm: I'll retract the :facepalm: if someone posts something to the contrary..

Is it not still a range by definition??? Is there anything in the LAW that say's the Range must allow you to X type of Gun?? :facepalm: I'll retract the :facepalm: if someone posts something to the contrary..

Harry, he was simply stating what was allowed at the WMA in response to the other poster's question about rimfire rifles.

Harry, he was simply stating what was allowed at the WMA in response to the other poster's question about rimfire rifles.

Got-cha,, I just want to put it out as it seemed like we were making up more guidelines other than whats written. Wasn't sure if that what he meant but I think it could be taken that way by others who may read the thread.

I didnt even know these area existed. On the web site it tells you what is permitted (Shotgun, Archery, MuzzleL etc) but doesnt say anything about rimfire rifles. Does that mean they are permitted at all the locations?

The Black River WMA near Chester has an archery range and a shotgun range.

At least one person in the party must have a valid hunting license in order to use them. Other than that, they are free.

• No handguns or centerfire rifles permitted.

http://www.state.nj..../fgw/ranges.htm

IMHO, saying a WMA is a range and therefore exempted despite clear notification that Handguns can not be used there is a very clear illustration of what Kdpipes calls "talking yourself into trouble instead of out of it."

http://www.state.nj..../fgw/ranges.htm

IMHO, saying a WMA is a range and therefore exempted despite clear notification that Handguns can not be used there is a very clear illustration of what Kdpipes calls "talking yourself into trouble instead of out of it."

Please cite the law that states a range must permit handguns to be considered a range and therefore an exempted location.

The place is a range. Range is specifically listed as an exempted location. I fail to see the problem, or what a LEO would have trouble with?

The fact that handguns are specifically prohibited there is clearly posted.

That makes it a little less clear cut.

• Like 1

Is it a range, yes or no, can anyone provide that law that states the range must allow that type of firearm??

(null)

It also doesn't say "you may bring a handgun to a range that forbids them." Hey, go try your luck and debating skills. Sounds like a hot mess to me.

Like I said, sounds like talking yourself into trouble.

The place is a range. Range is specifically listed as an exempted location. I fail to see the problem, or what a LEO would have trouble with?

+1

Where's Vlad with a post about the letter of the law and not reading too much into it?

The fact that handguns are specifically prohibited there is clearly posted.

That makes it a little less clear cut.

So at worst you're in violation of some fish and game statute. The WMA ranges are still ranges, and therefore an exempted location.