JaredC

pistol permits renewal (told no such thing)

Because I requested/recieved (4) pistol permits at once, my local PD and I knew that at least (1) of them would expire for sure, just doing the math. They made it a point to tell me to bring any that I need extended in to them a week or two prior to them expiring.

well my pistol permits expired the 8th of this month... went to the police station yesterday to see the cop i dealt with to get my fid and permits originally..... he was not in yesterday and neither was the other gun cop.... so i was told he is in today.... i go rite after work with the 3 unused permits and he goes you can not renew them there is no such thing as an extension.... gives me another form to fill out and tells me to put my 2 original references....

am i being lied too? etc etc etc.....

how do i file a claim if he was wrong?

I don't think you are being lied to, but it is clear that he is mistaken. However, Maks and the others are correct, it is at the Chief's discretion, however, it seems to be very uncommon for a PD to not extend a permit. I agree with the other suggestions to print out the statute, 2C:58-3(f) and the Administrative Code,

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.7 and bring it with you and show it to him.

Use your own words, but I would suggest starting the conversation with something like, "Hey, I don't blame you for not knowing about the extension. The gun laws in this state are practically impossible to understand, but here's the statute and the Administrative Code. I just want to save you and me some paperwork and another x month wait. I won't mind if you want to take a day or two to check with your Chief and/or the Firearms Investigation Unit. I would appreciate it if you did."

His reaction will tell you all you need to know.

I would be happy to call them on your behalf, but since it is at the Chief's discretion, you probably have a better chance of success if you handle it on your own in a friendly and professional manner.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it further or need any help locating the statute and AC.

Because I requested/recieved (4) pistol permits at once, my local PD and I knew that at least (1) of them would expire for sure, just doing the math. They made it a point to tell me to bring any that I need extended in to them a week or two prior to them expiring.

Some townships want them prior to expiration, some want them after, it's all up the the local PD on what they want to do, as is if they do extend them at all, their discretion, like the box to input the extension was put their by mistake.. :facepalm:

That was a nice gesture on their part, but your initial statement was incorrect. You may be buying multiple guns at one time, under the exemptions to OGAM. And while that purchase is outside the scope of OGAM, it still requires one P2P per handgun purchased.

Just picking nits again :D

Adios,

PIzza Bob

I don't think you are being lied to, but it is clear that he is mistaken. However, Maks and the others are correct, it is at the Chief's discretion, however, it seems to be very uncommon for a PD to not extend a permit. I agree with the other suggestions to print out the statute, 2C:58-3(f) and the Administrative Code,

N.J.A.C. 13:54-1.7 and bring it with you and show it to him.

Use your own words, but I would suggest starting the conversation with something like, "Hey, I don't blame you for not knowing about the extension. The gun laws in this state are practically impossible to understand, but here's the statute and the Administrative Code. I just want to save you and me some paperwork and another x month wait. I won't mind if you want to take a day or two to check with your Chief and/or the Firearms Investigation Unit. I would appreciate it if you did."

His reaction will tell you all you need to know.

I would be happy to call them on your behalf, but since it is at the Chief's discretion, you probably have a better chance of success if you handle it on your own in a friendly and professional manner.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss it further or need any help locating the statute and AC.

thank you for your time and response....