Melgamatic

Bought an M1A on Friday

Bought a Springfield M1A this past Friday at NJ Firearms Guild in Rahway. Got the model MA9822, which is the loaded model with Walnut stock, National Match stainless barrel, NM sights and match 2-stage 4.5lb trigger.

Put around 100 rounds through it this morning in the cold. What a great rifle.

No group was bigger than 1-2" at 100yds, and it was only an inch or two off from bullseye with the factory initial sighting. Moved the front post a few thousandths to the left and it was dead on. Only shot it from a rest this morning, but will probably head to CR tomorrow (after goose hunting early in the AM) and try it out on the 200yd range.

The guys at MCRPC's high power competitions are in big trouble!

I paid slightly more than I would have at some of our FFL's if I had ordered it, but I'm feeling stronger about buying from the FAG in Rahway, becase they have many 100's of guns in stock, let me fondle them, and I'm willing to support their inventory!

That is almost the same rifle I have. You will be happy for a long time! I have well over 5000 rounds through mine and it is still just as acurate. With that NM barrel it is just as accurate with millsupr 7.62 ammo. If you really want to impress yourself, get some OTMRP ammo or good match ammo and see what she can do!

Ken

what ammo were you using?

I used up some old Remington UMC 150gr rounds first, then shot a box of the nice stuff - Federal Match 168gr. Finally, moved to some rounds I loaded to match the ballistics of the Federal Match exactly, using Sierra MatchKing 168gr HPBT bullets and they worked exactly the same, at least at 200yds.

I have a few hundred rounds of the Federal Match, but at a minimum of $1/round (on sale), I'll keep that for actual matches, and use my own duplicative rounds the rest of the time (which are probably of equal quality).