Belmopan Gringo

New member from Sussex County

Good morning everyone

To introduce myself, I am a life-long New Jersey resident, currently living in Sussex County. I am not yet a gun owner- I have just applied for and received my firearms ID and a pistol permit. I have fired guns infrequently in the past, but clearly have a lot to learn.

My interest in firearms is primarily for self-defense. I have recently become interested in firearms because I intend to retire in a few years to a relatively high crime area of Central America, and I want to become proficient with both handguns and shotguns before I make the move.

Since I am a novice, I will gratefully accept any advice that anyone wishes to offer.

My most immediate need is to figure out what sort of handgun to purchase since my 90 days are starting to tick away. The country I will eventually be moving to does not allow handguns in excess of 9mm or .38, but it does not have a 15 round limitation like New Jersey does.

I am leaning toward a Glock, but I am having trouble deciding on whether to go with a 19 (which is stock legal in both locations) or a 17 (which would be stock legal there, but would require a 10 round magazine to be legal in New Jersey). Any suggestions?

Thank you all.

Hi, Welcome.

My only suggestion would be to shoot as many different guns as you can before you decide on a Glock. As to the particular Glock, get the 19 in NJ. The 17 is just a little bigger but there are the mag limitations.

Welcome. As mentioned you should shoot as many weapons as you can prior to purchasing. May I ask why you have jumped straight to glock? I personally feel that there are several better options. Good luck in your search.

Welcome. As mentioned you should shoot as many weapons as you can prior to purchasing. May I ask why you have jumped straight to glock? I personally feel that there are several better options. Good luck in your search.

Thank you and everyone else. I'm leaning toward a Glock because of 1) reviews I have read, 2) its widespread use by police throughout the States, which suggests reliability, 3) weight because my wife can also use it, 4) size (particularly the 19) because it can be carried concealed in Belize, where I will be retiring, 5) its popularity means I should be able to get replacement parts overseas, and 6) the price is right. I have read a bit about problems with the Glock 19, Gen 4, but not sure whether that these are real issues, or just internet jawboning.

While I am leaning toward Glock, I'm not yet committed, and definitely would be interested in hearing your suggestions of better options.

I will follow everyone's suggestion and shoot as many different guns as I can in order to figure out which one I feel most comfortable with.

Thanks again for the help.