cbr929rcr

A QUESTION ABOUT AMMO??

So I finally got my Savage Arms Axis Xp yesterday. The gun looks great and I can not wait to shoot it. My qustions is I thought the .223 and the 5.56 round is the same. The guy at Cheyanne Outfitters is telling me different. So i guess my question is can I shoot the 5.56 ammo threw my gun. And also is there a big price difference between the two. And as always I thank you guys and this website, Whenever I am in doubt I know I can always count on you guys for the answeres.

Congrats on the purchase! Great looking rifle. Looking forward to a range report. What scope did they sell it with? I have been doing some reading up on this recently as I make the move into AR Land. If I was you, I would stick to the .223 for that rifle to avoid a "KABOOM". :D

As I understand it, you can shoot 5.56 or .223 in rifles designed for 5.56 and you can shoot .308 or 7.62 in rifles designed for .308 but you should not shoot 5.56 in .223 rifles or .308 in 7.62 caliber rifles.

As I understand it, you can shoot 5.56 or .223 in rifles designed for 5.56 and you can shoot .308 or 7.62 in rifles designed for .308 but you should not shoot 5.56 in .223 rifles or .308 in 7.62 caliber rifles.

And you can't shoot .308 in .223 yadda yadda ;)

OP,

Most rifles labelled for .223 will handle 5.56 quite nicely and, if they won't, that fact is usually clearly indicated. While there are dimensional differences between the two, those differences are rather miniscule and you should be fine using either. That being said, check with Savage. You'll likely be the fourth person that day to ask the same question.

OP,

Most rifles labelled for .223 will handle 5.56 quite nicely and, if they won't, that fact is usually clearly indicated. While there are dimensional differences between the two, those differences are rather miniscule and you should be fine using either. That being said, check with Savage. You'll likely be the fourth person that day to ask the same question.

IIRC, the only dimensional difference is the amount of leade in the chamber. 5.56 is supposedly loaded to higher pressures, but that is open to interpretation as the commonly seen pressures quoted for these two rounds are measured at different points - thus cannot be directly compared.

I'm not saying that it's OK - the experts say that it's best not to, unless the manufacturer says it's OK, and that's good enough for me. I just wanted to point out that the differences are not all that cut & dried.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I would not shoot 5.56 out of a gun that is only marked .223. If the gun is marked 5.56 you are fine to shoot either..

my Mini 14 is marked .223 but accourding to Ruger it is safe to shoot 5.56 with it. The only mini 14's that it is not safe to do so are the target model ones.

( and I have also shoot 5.56 with it after I made sure it could handle it no problem)