Kaiser7

Question about ballistics, and things of that nature.

I went to the range a few weeks ago with my friend. I brought my 8mm VZ24, and he had two .30-06s, all of them were bolt action. Now, I figured the 8mm would have a large recoil, moreso than the .30-06.

Boy was I surprised.

Now that's gotten me wondering what effects the recoil of the rifle. Obviously the powdercharge, and weight of the rifle/distribution of the weight effect this, but I really don't know much.

I've also seen in the Shooter's dictionary a bunch of stats on various loads, balls, and things of that nature, what's it all mean? I'd really like to know more about various ammunitions, calibers, what's good for what, etc. I mean, my buddy and I were arguing over whose round was the most potent.

Anyway, I'm just curious about this, if anyone can enlighten me, please do.

Now that's gotten me wondering what effects the recoil of the rifle.

I use this calculator to calcuate recoil of a given load. You can also use it to do comparisons between different cartridges and/or different loads. Other variables may change how you preceive recoil like stock fit, etc.

Recoil calculator: http://www.handloads...calc/recoil.asp

Energy is calculated differently. The variables needed are bullet weight, velocity, and ballistic coefficient (B.C.) of the bullet. A quick glance in the back of a good reloading manual at the "Ballistic Tables" would divulge this info for you. Just find the bullet you are shooting and the stated velocity of the load and you can figure out the energy table. Typically, they list muzzle energy, and energy values for 100/200/300/400 in yards or meters. In adition, because it's a "ballistic table," it will include bullet trajectory at those same ranges.

Federal offers a ballistics tool you can download to your PC: http://www.federalpremium.com/resources/ballistics_application.aspx

Hornady has an online ballistics & energy calculator you can use for their bullets if you handload:

http://www.hornady.com/ballistics-resource/ballistics-calculator

The biggest and easiest to identify factors that come into play is firearm weight, the action (fixed or auto), and the ammo. For the ammo, determining factors is powder burn rate, bullet weight, and velocity.

Slower burns and heavier bullets are a heavier push, while a light bullet with fast powder is going to feel alot more harsh while not neccesarily being more powerful.

Slower burns and heavier bullets are a heavier push, while a light bullet with fast powder is going to feel alot more harsh while not neccesarily being more powerful.

Depends on what receiving end you are discussing. Take the values of some standard loads you normally load, keep the weight of the rifle the same, use the same bullet eight, same velocity, plug in variables to that calculator with different powder charges comparing a medium burn rate powder (I.E. H4895) to a slower powder (I.E. IMR4350) to deliver an equivalent velocity, and see what recoil energy numbers and recoil in ft./lbs. come out to. The heavier powder charge always trumps the lighter charge with delivered recoil energy.

There's actual recoil that doesn't change when you use the formulae above doesn't change. Felt recoil can change with a wider buttplate that distributes the recoil over a greater area or a recoil pad.

Correct.

Pitch, cast, comb height, etc., all contribute to felt or perceived recoil. (The shape of the shooter sometimes is a factor too.) A pencil-tine buttstock with a curved metal buttlplate like that found on an old Winchester 1886 chambered in 45-70 pushing a docile factory load with a 405 gr. bullet might be downright painful to shoot for someone.

Having a step dad that owned a gun shop, I can tell you that statistics are statistics :)

I shot pretty much every gun that came through the shop. From a 45-70 to a .25 pistol. Each had a different feel and some really surprised me. There is no substitute for actually putting lead downrange. There were rounds, that by the books, were thought to be very flat, that ended up requiring significant adjustments when you went over 300 yards.

My most favored memories were shooting groundhogs out at around 300 yards. It was regular sport for us since the field was next to the house. My step dad's 22-250 was sighted in at 300 with a 16-24 scope. Dialed in, the hogs were at our mercy.

Every 30.06 I shot ended up way lower than I expected. Every .308 was close but I always had to futz with elevation. Nothing is ever as it seems.

The most important bits are firearm weight and the specifics of the load and by that I mean which powder and which bullet not what official cartridge name it has.

I find that the rate at which the recoil gets delivered to the shooter is far more important then the amount of recoil delivered. Fast powders can feel very snappy, slow powders can feel more pushy even with the same bullet weight and bullet speed. The other thing that matters is the amount of gasses expelled out the muzzle as those are basicaly the rocket engine fuel of recoil. Some powders make less gas some make more and it all depends on charge size as larger charges will generate more gas even if they generate the same final velocity for the same bullet.

Depends on what receiving end you are discussing. Take the values of some standard loads you normally load, keep the weight of the rifle the same, use the same bullet eight, same velocity, plug in variables to that calculator with different powder charges comparing a medium burn rate powder (I.E. H4895) to a slower powder (I.E. IMR4350) to deliver an equivalent velocity, and see what recoil energy numbers and recoil in ft./lbs. come out to. The heavier powder charge always trumps the lighter charge with delivered recoil energy.

Yes, but the impulse is slightly longer. Since we are talking about perceived recoil...

Yes, but the impulse is slightly longer. Since we are talking about perceived recoil...

Recoil impulse is lb./sec., and for the heavier charge weight is always greater provided all else is equal. Recoil velocity is faster and recoil energy is greater. It is debatable whether a human can detect a recoil impulse difference from say 2.98 lb./sec. to 3.09 lb./sec. That's splitting hair that I don't have anymore.

Another calculator for computing recoil energy, velocity & impulse. http://stevespages.com/brecoil.shtml