keithco88

Is the pistol permit process documented?

Is there a thread (or better yet a doc from the gov't or state police) that details the pistol permit process?

I get told by my town after they receive my references back that they have "other paperwork" they send out and wait for. Reading across the forum and hearing that some ppl get permits in as little as 5 days that doesn't really seem possible assuming this "paperwork" goes via snail mail and not email or carrier pigeons on steroids.

I'm a process engineer by trade, so I'm just trying to understand if anybody has documented the as-is on this process? Also does it vary by county or town?

Sorry for geeking it up...this is really just ticking me off a little.

Some police departments have it documented on a web site, such as Randolph

http://www.randolphn...arms_purchases/

My PD does not have it documented.

EDIT: My understanding is that each local PD may add their own requirements, which are not law in NJ. For example, my PD asked for proof of residency, such as a utility bill.

Some police departments have it documented on a web site, such as Randolph

http://www.randolphn...arms_purchases/

My PD does not have it documented.

EDIT: My understanding is that each local PD may add their own requirements, which are not law in NJ. For example, my PD asked for proof of residency, such as a utility bill.

Each PD, MAY NOT add their own requirements, but they do anyway...

2C:58-3f

f.tab.gifGranting of permit or identification card; fee; term; renewal; revocation. The application for the permit to purchase a handgun together with a fee of $2, or the application for the firearms purchaser identification card together with a fee of $5, shall be delivered or forwarded to the licensing authority who shall investigate the same and, unless good cause for the denial thereof appears, shall grant the permit or the identification card, or both, if application has been made therefor, within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application for residents of this State and within 45 days for nonresident applicants. A permit to purchase a handgun shall be valid for a period of 90 days from the date of issuance and may be renewed by the issuing authority for good cause for an additional 90 days. A firearms purchaser identification card shall be valid until such time as the holder becomes subject to any of the disabilities set forth in subsection c. of this section, whereupon the card shall be void and shall be returned within five days by the holder to the superintendent, who shall then advise the licensing authority. Failure of the holder to return the firearms purchaser identification card to the superintendent within the said five days shall be an offense under subsection a. of N.J.S.2C:39-10. Any firearms purchaser identification card may be revoked by the Superior Court of the county wherein the card was issued, after hearing upon notice, upon a finding that the holder thereof no longer qualifies for the issuance of such permit. The county prosecutor of any county, the chief police officer of any municipality or any citizen may apply to such court at any time for the revocation of such card.

tab.gifThere shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

So I just read the actual law quote above. My PD charges $60 for fingerprinting first-time FID & Permit requests and a $18 for all subsequent requests under the auspices of some sort of fingerprinting/background checking. Am I getting totally raped here?

As a state resident adhering to a state process, can I just go to like Randolph or some other town where they actually adhere to the laws and get the permits out as they're supposed to?

I went in again today to ask for an update on my permit, 31 days after I submitted it. The two women, very bothered that I had interrupted their conversation, recognized my name like they had just looked at the paperwork and told me it's "on the last leg of the process". I said "when will it be ready". They told me "you can pick it up when you receive the letter in the mail".

So can I call the State Police to report a violation of the state law and ask them to move things along? From looking at some other threads that tactic seems to work ok

I just want to be able to pick up my PPQ before next weekend b/c that's the only time in Feb I'll be able to shoot...this is kinda rediculous

EDIT: my town's process seems identical to the link above for Randolph's process...they just seem to dick me around for another 2 weeks after everything is done

No, you must file in your town if they can process the permits.

I would NOT call the NJSP at day 31, they will do nothing for you. They usually clear up things like extra documents that PD's require and have them discarded, or if your say 3 months from the initial application they may say something. When it comes to waiting for your permits, the best action is to speak directly with the person processing your permits, then the cheif, then the mayor, and then the NJ2AS. Walking into the pd and asking the first person you see is not the way to handle it, they usual know little about what is going on. I dont speak to anyone at my pd other then the officer processing the permits, otherwise its just a waste of my time.

When did you get fingerprinted?

The $60.25 is payed to MorphoTrak, who is the company that actually does your fingerprinting. This is normal and actually required by the NJSP as towns can no longer do the fingerprinting in house.

The $18 is payed to the NJSP for a background check, and is also normal.

The $5 for the FID and $2 per P2P are also normal.

Each PD, MAY NOT add their own requirements, but they do anyway...

I think we're saying the same thing. "Might" would have been a better choice of words. There is the possibility or probability that a local PD will add their own requirements. I did not mean to say that they have the legal ability to do so.

My town requires to submit a notary signed mental health/criminal history affidavit that essentially duplicates the relates section on the FID/permit application. Their rationale is that it is to ensure that the signature is indeed yours. I don't get it, but OTOH it's not too onerous compared to what other towns' PDS demand. There is a Chase branch across the street for the municipal building, where one of the customer service reps is a public notary and he does it for free.

Also, the $18 is not charged for the initial FID application and the permits applied for simultaneously with it. Only for subsequent permits. At least in my town.

I don't get it, but OTOH it's not too onerous compared to what other towns' PDS demand. There is a Chase branch across the street for the municipal building, where one of the customer service reps is a public notary and he does it for free.

So, in other words, you approve of this requirement and are willing to continue to follow it so that other people have to go through the same illegal process?

My town requires to submit a notary signed mental health/criminal history affidavit that essentially duplicates the relates section on the FID/permit application.

Are you talking about another form other than SP66 form? My town requires that I sign the SP66 that one in front of the clerk.

ok guys, I started a different thread I'm trying to use to see if we can get some grassroots analysis documented on the deltas we see in the process across the state. Please check it out and keep it factual if you're interested

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/31876-grassroots-analysis-of-fidpistol-permit-process/

So, in other words, you approve of this requirement and are willing to continue to follow it so that other people have to go through the same illegal process?

No, I am not approving of this requirement. At the time when I was applying, I was simply not aware of the article 3f that prohibits PDs from adding additional requirements. I will raise this next time when I apply for P2P.

Edit: what I was trying to say that in terms of additional hoops, this requirement didn't seem as outlandish as other that are being reported here.

No, I am not approving of this requirement. At the time when I was applying, I was simply not aware of the article 3f that prohibits PDs from adding additional requirements. I will raise this next time when I apply for P2P.

Edit: what I was trying to say that in terms of additional hoops, this requirement didn't seem as outlandish as other that are being reported here.

The motion of going through having to get P2P's in the first place is outlandish let alone additional requirements, Should NICS not be sufficient at the time of sale??