deadeye74

Purchase exemption/OGAM question....

I was wondering how this would work. Let's say I have 6 pistol permits. I take the first one today, go to the local gun shop in NJ, buy my pistol. The clock starts ticking on my 30 days.....

I come home that same day, go online to a site like gun broker and see an auction that is ending for another pistol I am interested in by a seller in Florida.

My question: Since the pistol has to be shipped to a NJ FFL, can I make the purchase online that night paying the out of state vendor, then go to the NJ FFL in 31 days, pay the transfer fee then pick up the pistol or would I be violating the OGAM rule?

Second question:

I pick up 6 permits today. I come home, go on line, find an online sale/auction for a package deal of 3 pistols but need to buy today or will miss the sale. Can I make the purchase, have the weapons sent to my NJ FFL, and then file the exemption paperwork with the NJSP to purchase a package of 3 pistols with the reason of them being a collection? Could I buy 2 or more pistols in separate auctions/sales and have them shipped to the FFL and then file the exemption paperwork for reason of them being a collection? In either of these two scenarios, I would be waiting to pick up the pistols from the NJ FFL until I received the exemption paperwork back from the NJSP.

I guess the one general question here is does "buying" as defined with OGAM begin the day you pay for the pistol or the day to pick up the pistol and fill out the P2P paperwork with the NJ FFL?

I was wondering how this would work. Let's say I have 6 pistol permits. I take the first one today, go to the local gun shop in NJ, buy my pistol. The clock starts ticking on my 30 days.....

I come home that same day, go online to a site like gun broker and see an auction that is ending for another pistol I am interested in by a seller in Florida.

My question: Since the pistol has to be shipped to a NJ FFL, can I make the purchase online that night paying the out of state vendor, then go to the NJ FFL in 31 days, pay the transfer fee then pick up the pistol or would I be violating the OGAM rule?

Second question:

I pick up 6 permits today. I come home, go on line, find an online sale/auction for a package deal of 3 pistols but need to buy today or will miss the sale. Can I make the purchase, have the weapons sent to my NJ FFL, and then file the exemption paperwork with the NJSP to purchase a package of 3 pistols with the reason of them being a collection? Could I buy 2 or more pistols in separate auctions/sales and have them shipped to the FFL and then file the exemption paperwork for reason of them being a collection? In either of these two scenarios, I would be waiting to pick up the pistols from the NJ FFL until I received the exemption paperwork back from the NJSP.

I guess the one general question here is does "buying" as defined with OGAM begin the day you pay for the pistol or the day to pick up the pistol and fill out the P2P paperwork with the NJ FFL?

For number 1, you can buy it online and ask a dealer if they'll hold it for you until you can purchase again no problem. Just be sure to ask one beforehand so they aren't pissed when a pistol shows up on their doorstep that they had no idea about. :lol:

I'm not too versed in exemptions, so I'll let someone else handle that one.

Buy as many as you like, have them transferred to the same FFL to make things easier (but not necessary), apply for the Exemption, make sure you have enough permits to pick them all up, pretty easy. Make sure your FFL (or FFL's) don't have an issue with it. Best thing about it, you get them all the same day and if one FFL has all the guns you only pay for NICS once!

I "only" picked-up three at one time, my wallet was running low...................

• Like 1

In reference to the exemption procedure, I have heard and confirmed with the local PD of the OP, and with the NJSP, that if the applicant is known to the PD and is applying for an exemption, the forms can be sent to the NJSP directly by the applicant while awaiting approval for the permit process. This particular PD requests that a copy of the forms be given to them upon submission for their records. Once the exemption is approved, the forms will be sent to the PD. Once the Permits are approved, they will be given to the applicant along with the approved exemption form.

I did mine a little differently. I applied for the permits first, after I received them I then filled-out the Exemption paperwork (there is a form for the buyer and a form for the seller(s)), then handed that paperwork to my local PD. They then sent it to the NJSP After they got it back they called me, I got the Exemption Forms, went to my FFL and picked-up the handguns.

Either way works, but check with your local PD and see how they want to do it. Mine had never seen the Exemption Forms before so it was new to them.

I did mine a little differently. I applied for the permits first, after I received them I then filled-out the Exemption paperwork (there is a form for the buyer and a form for the seller(s)), then handed that paperwork to my local PD. They then sent it to the NJSP After they got it back they called me, I got the Exemption Forms, went to my FFL and picked-up the handguns.

Either way works, but check with your local PD and see how they want to do it. Mine had never seen the Exemption Forms before so it was new to them.

I did speak to the PD about it when I put in for my most current batch of permits. I was told to do the paperwork and submit it to NJSP on my own, that the PD isn't involved. Does this sound correct? Who do I contact at NJSP to drop off the paperwork?

My PD is good, we just didn't elaborate about the exemptions when we talked.

The NJSP phone number is on here somewhere. I am pretty sure the address is on the forms also. You can also ask the FFL you are dealing with for info. I can try to dig-up my Exemption forms and see what was on them if you want me to.

I did speak to the PD about it when I put in for my most current batch of permits. I was told to do the paperwork and submit it to NJSP on my own, that the PD isn't involved. Does this sound correct? Who do I contact at NJSP to drop off the paperwork?

Read my post above Rich.

That's not how my PD does it - I submit the exemption form to my PD and they send it to Trenton for approval - but your PD may be doing it differently.