Tactical Turtle

Brass Cased or Steel Cased

True, maybe ill try it out a box or 2 after I clean it to.see how dirty it is and such. Do I need 556 for any reason or will 223 do the job?? Like is there any difference between the 2

Please do some research. Yes there is a difference between .223 and 5.56 NATO. and there is a difference between XM193, XM855 and 5.56 NATO.

I use Silver or Golden Bear steel cased Russian stuff for plinking/practice. Silver has a zinc washed coating, Golden has a brass washed coating. They both act the same, just one is silver and one is brass colored. They do not use laquer so you don't have any of those issues. They only cost a tad more than the laquer stuff. They perform well, not for precision shooting, but usually fairly consistant.

For precision stuff, I reload my own using 69gr BTHP's for my 1:7 barrel.

Dan can you PM me some load data on your 69gr BTHP. Just interested to see what others are doing.

You have an AR that kicks. Where did you get it ? Is it special... :maninlove:

Do you use the Tula for jam clearing drills? :maninlove:

Spend extra money for a BCM and shoot $hit ammo... Wonderful! Just Fukin' Wonderful... :maninlove:

I spent an extra $100 for the BFH BCM also.. so I have to save $100 by using cheap Wolf WPA.. Lol

I mainly shoot the PMC XTAC in 55 and 62gr.. the Wolf is here for when I run out of that..

The Tula was on the shelf at Wallyworld.. its definately dirty..

It runs fine.. but soft.. and 1 of 4 mag changes results in a non-stripped 1st round off the fresh mag.. so I'm speculating the BCG is catching on the bolt-catch and not the bolt-'face' as is needed to function 100%.. I won't be buying Tula ever again.

I see you own a DD M4. Is that where you intend to use the steel cased?

If so, let me start crying and whining immediately....

You have an AR that kicks. Where did you get it ? Is it special... :maninlove:

Do you use the Tula for jam clearing drills? :maninlove:

Spend extra money for a BCM and shoot $hit ammo... Wonderful! Just Fukin' Wonderful... :maninlove:

What does it matter to you what other people run in thier rifles? Dont like it, fine, but to always sound condecending to people who do use steel cased ammo in their rifles is getting old. People need to get off their high horse and stop being elitists and just be happy with the fact that other people are enjoying the hobby in this state we live in and that not all of us can afford to shoot brass cased ammo all the time.

/rant

ive never fully understood why its considered to be a sin to run steel cased rounds through an AR. yes it wasnt designed to shoot steel cased but what real proof is there besides it might wear your extractor faster? We all shoot on a one way range, if theres a hang up every few hundred rounds so what? I still have only run brass through my AR but am definetly considering moving to steel cased if it will get me more range time and the best reason not to shoot steel cased is it will wear down your extractor faster and wont run as clean...

What does it matter to you what other people run in thier rifles? Dont like it, fine, but to always sound condecending to people who do use steel cased ammo in their rifles is getting old. People need to get off their high horse and stop being elitists and just be happy with the fact that other people are enjoying the hobby in this state we live in and that not all of us can afford to shoot brass cased ammo all the time.

/rant

High horse? Like all the peeps that say DTI, Bushmaster and DPMS are NFG? Oh that High Horse? Or the High Horse that considers GLOCKs a POS? That high horse?

It's all about opinions and if you can make a case for yoiur opinion why not.

Guys saying .." I run this ammo but my gun short cycles or gets too dirty after 100 round" Wake up! Some thing is wrong.

AR's were never made for steel cased. It may work sometimes. ARs being gas impingement are sensitive to chamber pressure and a clean gas system is important. Ask Timmy Turner. With bad ammo his rifle jammed and he took a shot in the chest blowing the top of his lung off.(1967) He's still around and you tell him about poor ammo in an AR/M16.

I know these guys are at the range and not in the jungle but we should make every effort to have our weapons (yes that's what they are) function flawlessly. If you can't afford factory ammo, reload. If yoiu can't reload....Well better think if you can afford the sport.

I may be in the minority because they sell loads of this ammo. But let's hope most is going into piston guns.

I'm not condecending, but peeps should think before they ask question the answer may be obvious.

I don't reload.

Ammo is expensive.

I have not had a single issue with steel cased ammo.

I have not had a single issue with brass cased ammo.

Steel cased ammo is cheaper.

Ergo, I generally shoot steel cased ammo.

I don't reload.

Ammo is expensive.

I have not had a single issue with steel cased ammo.

I have not had a single issue with brass cased ammo.

Steel cased ammo is cheaper.

Ergo, I generally shoot steel cased ammo.

I'm interested. There may be more to this than meets the eye. Why do some rifles shoot it and some not. What manufacturer of barrel, length of gas system, BCG? How many rounds between cleaning?

I was accused of being adversarial but I'm not. I just love machines and seeing them working well.

Maybe this warrants another thread but your info would be appreciated.

High horse? Like all the peeps that say DTI, Bushmaster and DPMS are NFG? Oh that High Horse? Or the High Horse that considers GLOCKs a POS? That high horse?

It's all about opinions and if you can make a case for yoiur opinion why not.

Guys saying .." I run this ammo but my gun short cycles or gets too dirty after 100 round" Wake up! Some thing is wrong.

AR's were never made for steel cased. It may work sometimes. ARs being gas impingement are sensitive to chamber pressure and a clean gas system is important. Ask Timmy Turner. With bad ammo his rifle jammed and he took a shot in the chest blowing the top of his lung off.(1967) He's still around and you tell him about poor ammo in an AR/M16.

I know these guys are at the range and not in the jungle but we should make every effort to have our weapons (yes that's what they are) function flawlessly. If you can't afford factory ammo, reload. If yoiu can't reload....Well better think if you can afford the sport.

I may be in the minority because they sell loads of this ammo. But let's hope most is going into piston guns.

I'm not condecending, but peeps should think before they ask question the answer may be obvious.

Ok let me start off by saying that post wasnt aimed directly at you, but at all the people that always say "why are you shooting that steel sh!t in your gun", I was having a rough day and I could have worded that post better.

My personal rifle has never had a single problem with any steel cased ammo (Wolf, Silver Bear, & Tula) Even after shooting about 400 rounds of Silver Bear followed immediately by 100 rounds of xm193 in 4 hours with no cleaning, and yet still no stuck cases or any other failures. I feel that if your rifle wont function with EVERY type of ammo then its not 100% reliable, because in a SHTF type situation you never know what kind of ammo you will be able to get your hands on. Not to mention that for punching holes in paper at the range $100 for 500 steel case rounds is alot more affordable that $150+ for 500 rounds of brass case (that extra $50 is alot of money to me right now)

I'm interested. There may be more to this than meets the eye. Why do some rifles shoot it and some not. What manufacturer of barrel, length of gas system, BCG? How many rounds between cleaning?

I was accused of being adversarial but I'm not. I just love machines and seeing them working well.

Maybe this warrants another thread but your info would be appreciated.

Spike's Tactical Mid-length with standard Spike's BCG. Cleaning varies, but I imagine I probably clean it more frequently than most. I clean all my firearms between all range sessions, and I don't think I've shot much more than maybe 300 rounds at a time through my AR.

I feel that if your rifle wont function with EVERY type of ammo then its not 100% reliable, because in a SHTF type situation you never know what kind of ammo you will be able to get your hands on. Not to mention that for punching holes in paper at the range $100 for 500 steel case rounds is alot more affordable that $150+ for 500 rounds of brass case (that extra $50 is alot of money to me right now)

Bold Black - I agree with you. I kind of pride myself in being able to pick-up almost any discard weapon and being able to use it. (except for some of the new stuff I haven't seen) So I see your SHTF point. And in todays urban BS situation you may only have access to the commie stuff. But to your point you had better have something in 7.62X39 laying around as well.

Red - I only have one thing to say. I see so much ammo wasting at the range. Hardly even seems to be aimed fire. Now I'm not saying you... Now this me personally. I'd rather shoot 100 rounds of accurate amed fire with capable ammo than burn up the extra 50. Now I've never shot it but I think it's accepted that the commie stuff is less accurate than domestic.

Hope I was careful enough not to offend...

Spike's Tactical Mid-length with standard Spike's BCG. Cleaning varies, but I imagine I probably clean it more frequently than most. I clean all my firearms between all range sessions, and I don't think I've shot much more than maybe 300 rounds at a time through my AR.

I think the fact that you clean is important. Also mid length or carbine length gas systems operate at slightly higher pressures so fuction may be a little more reliable. Lastly Spikes is a good upper and it must be properly gassed.

Thanks for the info.

Last question. 5.56 chamber?