Bully

Much to my Chagrin...

...I've started looking at rifles.

I just bought my kid a 10/22 and the thought of reaching out a little further that my HG can seems like a good way to spend a day. So, now I am seriously considering saving up a little coin and getting a long gun. Gonna be a hot minute as I am financially challenged at the moment. But I am starting the process by obsessively looiking at every single manufacturers site that I can find. What I am looking for is something that can go out to 150yards with decent ease. Not looking for a mile and a half type of thing. Would like to keep the caliber in the smaller range as I need to use my arms for work :clapping: and don't want a bruised shoulder. I'm thinking 22.250, 204 Ruger, or 5.56/.223. I really like the look of a grey or black laminate stock with a stainless barrel (think the Savage 93-17 BVSS), but won't limit myself to a particular firearm just because of aesthetics. I would like to stay under 700 dollars as well. Like, well under. But, if need be I'll save a little longer. I also realize that I will need to deal with ammo and glass, but that's another discussion.

Any help and/or suggestions will be appreciated.

C

I'm the exact opposite of you. I love shooting rifles, but handguns aren't quite my thing. Then again, firearms are tools, each is good for a different role. You don't use pliers to drive a nail, why use a handgun when you need range?

I would say 5.56/.223 would be the way to go. Then again, you really don't hurt your shoulder that bad shooting rifles from my experience. Well, my friend's 30-06 has a pretty hefty recoil, but my 8mm barely kicks at all. I guess it really depends on what your looking for. For a semi-auto rifle, the mini14 is a good choice, particluarly the newer models which are more accurate. Best of all, they come in right around your price range.

I'm not recoil shy. I guess I should have put a qualifier at the end of that sentence. I LOVE big guns. They are a lot of fun to shoot. It was a joke. I want a 45-70, but really don't see the need for it in my current situation. So, I'll stick with small, fun guns that my stepson won't mind shooting as well.

I also should mention that I'm not a fan of the "Tacti-Cool" mall ninja stuff. I like a slightly more classic look.

C

If you would consider a rimfire (you did mention one in the OP), then look at the .17 Hummers. Inexpensive ones like the Savage or Mossberg or medium priced ones like the CZ. And if you want a nice small caliper centerfire, look at the CZ 527 - it's a mini-mauser action. Mossberg also has a new .223 BA coming out that accepts AR mags. Just some thoughts.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

If you're not opposed to a rimfire, I just bought a Savage MkII-FV and it is a tack driver. At 100 yards it shoot about 1 MOA, and at 200 yards I can consistently hit a 12 x 12 steel plate. A buddy and I sat at the range for a good 3 hours today shooting clays that we put out at 25, 50, 75, and 100 yards. Spent like 15 bucks for ammo, and whatever the clays cost and had a good day. Throw a nice scope on and you're good to go.

...I've started looking at rifles.

I just bought my kid a 10/22 and the thought of reaching out a little further that my HG can seems like a good way to spend a day. So, now I am seriously considering saving up a little coin and getting a long gun. Gonna be a hot minute as I am financially challenged at the moment. But I am starting the process by obsessively looiking at every single manufacturers site that I can find. What I am looking for is something that can go out to 150yards with decent ease. Not looking for a mile and a half type of thing. Would like to keep the caliber in the smaller range as I need to use my arms for work :clapping: and don't want a bruised shoulder. I'm thinking 22.250, 204 Ruger, or 5.56/.223. I really like the look of a grey or black laminate stock with a stainless barrel (think the Savage 93-17 BVSS), but won't limit myself to a particular firearm just because of aesthetics. I would like to stay under 700 dollars as well. Like, well under. But, if need be I'll save a little longer. I also realize that I will need to deal with ammo and glass, but that's another discussion.

Any help and/or suggestions will be appreciated.

C

If you want a tack driver right out of the box buy a Cooper, it's going to run you more like $1000 - $1200, but they are worth every cent. I have one in .22-250, and can shoot golf tees at 100yds all day long with it. If this is too much for you, look at getting a Tikka - probably the most underrated rifle out there, and they're in the $500 range.

Keep an eye on sales and such. Getting a laminated 700 or Savage 10/110 for around $500 is not hard, although realize that generally speaking you get a better stock with polymer/kevlar/whatever stocks then laminated ones now, as long as it is not the the cheapest base model stock.

Check these out

CZ 527 Laminated .223 $629

CZ 527 Synthetic .223 $525

Rem 700 Synthetic .223 $555 (Remington makes like 10 diff models for this in barrel/stock configurations)

Savage 25 with an EXCELLENT laminated stock in .223 $602

etc etc etc. Keep an eye on sales, Cabelas Flyers, or even Dicks and you'll find these bellow those prices.

Hey all.

I have finally figured out what I want and now need to save a bit. I am looking at the Savage Lightweight Varmint in .223 (not the T or Walking version) or the Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .223. I like the barrel on the Remmy, however I like the stock on the Savage and I hear really good things about the Accutrigger. That being said, the 700 action, from what I understand is the benchmark. We'll see.

C

Mosin Nagants get tiresome after the second stripper clip. Maybe a Ruger Mini 14?

The SKS sounds like a good suggestion as well, or a CAI M74 AK74 clone? WIth wood furniture it's not overly "tacti-cool". 5.45x39 is cheap.

Really? Mosin Nagants get tired for me after about 100 rounds, when my shoulder starts hurting so much that firing every round hurts a lot. I sure do enjoy that spam can surplus ammo.

Thanks again all for your replies. I truly appreciate all the advice.

Does anyone on here have anything to say about the Mossberg MVP rifle? Has anyone seen/held it? I am seriously lusting after it and would like some objective and somewhat educated opinions on it. I think it may be the perfect rifle for me.

C

If you reload... I'd look at a 260 Remington based platform. It is best known for mimicking 300 win mag trajectory in a more cost efficient and much less recoil package. Only worth it if you reload , otherwise 223 or 308 will give you many more factory load options. A rem 700 in 260 is on my list.