david8613

any fn five/seven users?

for one its very light, uses a unique round with good ballaistics, and from what i have read it has very low recoil. plus it looks very different externally and internally, especially how the barrel and spring is all in one unit, feed ramp is different, safety is towards the front insteadvof the back.

It weighs as much as a glock 19, the ballistics of the round are interesting only with ammo you can't buy, and lots of things have low recoil without using an exotic round that costs twice as much as 9mm and can't be effectively reload it. Different is not always good, the safety is in the completely wrong spot. Oh and it costs $1000 for a gun you can't use with the ammo it was designed for. But that is my take, and people can disagree and still both be right, so if you like one, go right ahead.

Vlad has it right. Plus, with a 15 round limit the supposed benefit of ultra high capacity from the tiny round is lost. If you just like it and want it then more power to you, but as a practical matter it doesn't do anything better, and several things worse, than more conventional polymer pistols.

the ballistics of the round are interesting only with ammo you can't buy

what does that even mean? The ammo is not hard to buy or find.

Different is not always good, the safety is in the completely wrong spot.

just because it's in a different spot than where you are used to, it doesn't mean it's wrong. It's actually easy to operate the safety.

Oh and it costs $1000 for a gun you can't use with the ammo it was designed for.

huh?

gun was designed for the Armor Piercing , hot hot hot rounds.

That ammo was banned from import, so FNH released new ammo which was highly toned down.

I have shot the FiveSeven, my personal opinion, the recoil was not that low, and in fact felt a bit snappy. Most of all, felt a little toooooo plasticy. (I'd rather have a glock)

The 5.7x28 cartridge and the guns that fire it were designed with a high speed small armor piercing bullet in mind. Their purpose was to penetrate body armor at close range. However the armor piercing ammunition it was designed for is not available for sale in the US to civilians which means you can only use the standard full metal jacket ammo which is fine for plinking but misses the point of the design.

As for the safety, if you think it is the right spot, more power to you, I maintain it is in the very wrong place.

The 5.7x28 cartridge and the guns that fire it were designed with a high speed small armor piercing bullet in mind. Their purpose was to penetrate body armor at close range. However the armor piercing ammunition it was designed for is not available for sale in the US to civilians which means you can only use the standard full metal jacket ammo which is fine for plinking but misses the point of the design.

As for the safety, if you think it is the right spot, more power to you, I maintain it is in the very wrong place.

FN does not sell the FMJ ammo anymore for civilian use (although older stock surfaces at gunshows from time to time and is usually priced insanely). What's sold now is either hollow point or ballistic tipped. The FMJ stuff is what defeats body armor.

FN does not sell the FMJ ammo anymore for civilian use (although older stock surfaces at gunshows from time to time and is usually priced insanely). What's sold now is either hollow point or ballistic tipped. The FMJ stuff is what defeats body armor.

Sorta, the AP round is actually a trimetal thing, the civilian ammo is now the v-max polymer tip stuff. What I mean to say and failed that the civilian ammo is classic copper over lead, where the original ammo like SS190 and its derivatives are actually aluminum and copper of a steel penetrator: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_5.7%C3%9728mm#Varieties

The OP won't state what load he used on several forums he's posted on,

did he use his own mix(hot) overloaded ,why not share the reloading data so other reloaders don't have the same thing happen, nothing to hide right?

I smell a factor of BS,........................ but i do wish him a full recovery.

I don't see how he was hiding facts seeing how he stated what he was shooting. While I think it is slightly insane to reload for that cartridge, that failure looks like the gun fired out battery. A double charge or over pressure round tends to crack barrels, that flower of brass behind the barrel looks like a lot of the cartridge was not in the chamber when the trigger was pulled. Reloads or not the gun shouldn't fire out of battery.

Now, I'll even go and say that maybe he screwed with the gun and disabled its disconnector, I'm not saying they all do that, but what shocked me how much destruction that resulted in. I've seen guns blown up before, right in front of my eyes, but I haven't seen a handgun decompose as much before or heard of one either. When you are handling as much pressure as a mild .223 in a handgun I think you need a bit less hand grenade.

I was considering buying one so I rented one at Classic Pistol in PA. I'm glad I did because overall I found it unpleasant to shoot due to very snappy recoil, imho oddly placed controls, and what felt like an odd grip shape. You might love it, but seriously test fire one first.