SpecialK

Reloading Bench Location

So I am thinking of getting into reloading now that I am shooting on almost a daily basis. Unfortunately I do not really have room in my house for a reloading area. I was thinking about setting up an area in the garage as I have plenty of room there. I figure I would have to store the powder and primers indoors, but was wondering what you guys think about having the rst of the equipment sitting out there in a garage. Would it be fine to leave most reloading gear out there? I'm just worried about humidity and what not.

I wouldn't be concerned. Also, it really doesn't have to take up that much room. If you have a desk somewhere you can bolt the press to a piece of wood and just clamp it to the desk when it's time to reload.

Any proper reloading bench must be built on a 2x12 frame on 6x6 legs for stability and a 3/4" hardwood plywood top glued and screwed to the frame. The bench should be 8' x 8', but 8' x 4' will do in a pinch.

:drag:

Nah, I'm just f'ing with you. What j0n said is better.

You can leave it out in the garage. I did that for a year before moving inside due to climate control more for me than the equipment. Just make sure you keep everything clean and oiled so it doesn't develop rust. The dies tend to develop a little surface rust on the outside which isn't a big deal, just cosmetic. If you use it with any sort of frequency you should be fine, just take care of it like anything else.

And if you can do what j0n said, even better. Given the fantastic NJ climate, there's only about 8 weeks out of the year that are really comfortable to be outside, at least for me, which is why I moved my equipment inside.

I wouldn't be concerned. Also, it really doesn't have to take up that much room. If you have a desk somewhere you can bolt the press to a piece of wood and just clamp it to the desk when it's time to reload.

My wife is pretty easy going, but if I start clamping a reloading press to our antique desk she might draw the line there I feel. :D

Any proper reloading bench must be built on a 2x12 frame on 6x6 legs for stability and a 3/4" hardwood plywood top glued and screwed to the frame. The bench should be 8' x 8', but 8' x 4' will do in a pinch.

:drag:

Nah, I'm just f'ing with you. What j0n said is better.

Such low standards! Must be 12" thick concrete with inserts in the concrete for mounting your press with wideflange legs, set to a level of 1/4 inch in 1000 ft.

Such low standards! Must be 12" thick concrete with inserts in the concrete for mounting your press with wideflange legs, set to a level of 1/4 inch in 1000 ft.

Heh, I really need to post up pics of my POS ikea-esque loading bench.

Heh, I really need to post up pics of my POS ikea-esque loading bench.

Hey! My loading bench IS from Ikea, lol. I picked up two open-front cabinets, added a drawer to each and screwed a 6' laminate countertop to it. Cost me about $200 and the only thing I don't like about it is that I didn't have the room to put a bigger one, now that I'm thinking about getting a progressive.

Not sure if that was directed at me, but I am well aware it was sarcasm. In fact, my post was sarcasm, so maybe check your radar. :onthequiet:

PS: That was sarcasm too.

PPS: If that wasn't directed at me, ignore this and I'll go extract my foot from my mouth.

• Like 1

Given the fantastic NJ climate, there's only about 8 weeks out of the year that are really comfortable to be outside, at least for me, which is why I moved my equipment inside.

I'm in the process of getting all my reloading stuff...I plan on setting up shop in the garage. For the colder months I have this:

mr-heater-double-propane-heater-800028000-btu-model-mh24t.jpg

Fire it up for an hour or two and the garage is nice n toasty.

Although some folks were being a little facetious in advising that you overbuild the table, its really not that far from the truth. Reloading presses generate substantial forces needed to reload everything up to big rifle calibers and leverage is the name of the game ot be able to resize big brass. The truth is that you can't go wrong building a sturdy bench because without it, your press and table is going to end up wobbling all over the place. A good solid bench anchored in some way will keep it from moving around and a thick tabletop will keep it and the press from flexing. Mounting the press on or near the corner right over the leg is always helpful since it adds extra support. if you table is a little flimsy, you can anchor the backside to the wall (studs) with some L brackets to gain some more general stability. People also commonly add extra tabletop layers over what the existing surface has to help shore it up a little more. This keeps the press from rocking back and forth.

• Like 1