Sign in to follow this  
Matt Arzt

Question for Shop Owners!

I am new to this forum and am looking for some advice. I am currently attending the PA Gunsmithing school, and am looking to open a gunsmithing shop when I complete school. My question is, is it worth trying to open a shop in NJ due to all of the hassles from the state or should i jump the border and open a shop in east PA. My family has a farm were I could put up a building and run my shop there for a much reduced price, but i have heard some horror stories about guys opening shops. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PM me. I tried opening a business in PA this summer and it never worked out. I can explain some stuff to you so you don't make the same mistakes I made.

It's far too much to explain in an internet posting.

Hello Matt,

You should go out and work in a experienced gunsmith shop first to learn the trade. What schools cannot teach you is how to deal with certain problems. Only experience can. This way you will learn how the business end works and the shop end. Maybe you may find a shop you can take over from the owner one day. It will be cheaper than opening from scratch. Gunsmithing machinery and equipment is expensive. Good luck you are on the right track. Eric