this_is_nascar

Wow - Social Media at Its Worse

I interperet it as more bullying. Making completely false statements about someone that cause problems - the originator of the rumor should take responsibility.

Agree 100%. The aftermath this kid will have to go through is worse than the initial rumor by far.

The serious problem I see with todays culture is no one can take a joke, when I was in hs if someone said you were fat, ugly, a ginger. You came back at 'em with a joke about them or their momma. It's called being thick skinned, but now kids want to be emo and stuff. The problem is the pussification of America.

1. Why are you reading MSNBC.COM :)

2. If the kid did not actually make a threat, then what basis did the police have for searching his room and the house?

I think kids are meaner these days than when I was in school, and social media makes it possible to say things behind someone's back to a lot of people in a short time. When I was a kid, the worst that would happen would be a fight in the school yard at lunch time. The next day, everything would be fine.

I think kids are meaner these days than when I was in school, and social media makes it possible to say things behind someone's back to a lot of people in a short time. When I was a kid, the worst that would happen would be a fight in the school yard at lunch time. The next day, everything would be fine.

I don't think kids are any meaner...or nicer, just there is more capability and visibility via social networks/the internet and the likes. So in that sense, you are absolutely right.

The other problem is, the pussification of America is out of control. People don't know how to deal with bullies/bullying, and it some cases, it is made much worse by parents/teachers/other adults.

Good point about msnbc.

I don't think kids are any meaner...or nicer, just there is more capability and visibility via social networks/the internet and the likes. So in that sense, you are absolutely right.

The other problem is, the pussification of America is out of control. People don't know how to deal with bullies/bullying, and it some cases, it is made much worse by parents/teachers/other adults.

Good point about msnbc.

I disagree. They are meaner, simply because they're allowed to get away with it. The parents hands are tied with what they're able to do today to discipline kids. The kids know that too. Kids from any generation will press to the edge of what they're allowed to do. Decades ago, that "line" was much closer in what was considered acceptable behavior. Fast forward to now and it seems that nothing is off-bounds. Kids running throughout the store isles, teenagers at the mall "hanging out" with no real desire to spend their time constructively, kids telling their stranger and their parents to go "F" themselves, etc.

But the parents of today are only allowed to correct that with a "time-out". What a f*cking joke that is.

While typing my last post I forgot to mention one thing. I still stand by my previous, I don't think they are any meaner, I think though it is more prevalent, or that is to say, it happens more often with less discipline, and for the very reasons you suggest. I'm pretty sure we are on the same page here, just looking at it slightly different.

I disagree. They are meaner, simply because they're allowed to get away with it. The parents hands are tied with what they're able to do today to discipline kids. The kids know that too. Kids from any generation will press to the edge of what they're allowed to do. Decades ago, that "line" was much closer in what was considered acceptable behavior. Fast forward to now and it seems that nothing is off-bounds. Kids running throughout the store isles, teenagers at the mall "hanging out" with no real desire to spend their time constructively, kids telling their stranger and their parents to go "F" themselves, etc.

But the parents of today are only allowed to correct that with a "time-out". What a f*cking joke that is.

Winner.

As a kid if I mouthed off to a bigger kid I got my a** handed to me. Learned to not do that again. Mouthed off to a parent, not sitting for a week. Never mind not leaving the house, no phone and no TV.

I'm not sure how to interpret "minor brushes with the law", but I feel sorry for this kid and his family.

http://usnews.msnbc....e-fears-collide

"he got into a fight with some boys last summer who were harassing him. He said that after the boys beat Austin up, his son chased them with a utility knife, telling them never to touch him again. He later owned up to the incident, which was why he was doing community service, the elder Carner said."

That would be the brush with the law.

The serious problem I see with todays culture is no one can take a joke, when I was in hs if someone said you were fat, ugly, a ginger. You came back at 'em with a joke about them or their momma. It's called being thick skinned, but now kids want to be emo and stuff. The problem is the pussification of America.

He has disabilities. There is no excuse, or reason to make fun of ANYONE for any reason if they have an issue they can not control. Sure, ginger comments get a pass, cause well they have no souls. BUT the kid can't help the other problems he has and most likely, that's the issue.

I've gotten in MANY a scuffle defending someone that had a disability in one form or another. I'm the FIRST person to jump on someone for saying or doing something stupid. But people that can't help it? Off limits. While I agree with the "pussification of America" it does not have a leg to stand on when related to this story.

I read the article and didn't watch the video. IIRC, the article writing itself made no mention of him having a learning diability. Your response makes it seem as if I am advocating for bullying disabled people or something. Without knowing he had a learning disability, my point still stands for America in general. We don't need anti-bullying month, or bullying support groups on facebook. We need parents who will teach their kids some morals; how to be a man and stand up for yourself, and how to a young lady and show respect for yourself.

I read the article and didn't watch the video. IIRC, the article writing itself made no mention of him having a learning diability. Your response makes it seem as if I am advocating for bullying disabled people or something. Without knowing he had a learning disability, my point still stands for America in general. We don't need anti-bullying month, or bullying support groups on facebook. We need parents who will teach their kids some morals; how to be a man and stand up for yourself, and how to a young lady and show respect for yourself.

Carner said he has been bullied since the family moved to Girard from Michigan in 2006, with students calling him “retarded” (he has a learning disability due to apraxia), “ugly” and “ginger” because of his red hair.