Mr.G

930 SPX + 1 Mag Extension Question. And M2

If I get a 930 Special Purpose model with 8 or 7+1 magazine capacity and replace it with +1 mag tube that would make it Jersey legal of 6 + 1 correct? Are all 930 SP 5 + 1 and what determines final capacity is the type of mag extension?

So in essence I could also get 5 + 1 model and add +1 Mag Extension and still be Jersey legal?

I'm a bit confused on the spec - http://www.mossberg....2&display=specs

Some indicate 5+1 and others indicate "just 5" (or 7+1 and 8). I was under the impression its always +1 because you can load the chamber and thats not counted as magazine capacity.

Either that or go with M2 which is 5 and get a +1 extension (7 total in gun?). I have not seen either in person but looks, quality, fit and finish is also important aside from outstanding performance of course.

You are correct that NJ only counts magazine capacity, so that you could have a 6+1 legally here. The Mossys are nice, but if you can afford the Benelli, I would go for it. They are just well put together shotguns.

Standard 930s are 4+1. You add a +2 extension and you are at the legal limit of 6 in the magazine.

I have a Nordic +2 on mine with there extended cap because I added an extended no-tilt follower.

Standard 930s are 4+1. You add a +2 extension and you are at the legal limit of 6 in the magazine.

I have a Nordic +2 on mine with there extended cap because I added an extended no-tilt follower.

Great tip!! thanks. do it right the 1st time..

I'm not seeing a lot of regret in the 930 world. It runs and it costs WAY less than the benellis. Lots of benellis smiths are moving to 930s. Hell, I got mine cut down, recut for chokes, put several hundred dollars of accessories on it and it was STILL cheaper than a benelli.

And I don't have to spend an extra $1000 on top of the cost of the benelli to get it to cycle heavy and light loads reliably.

Take a stock 4+1 930 and add

This, selecting +2 and 930

http://shop.nordiccomp.com/NC-Shotgun-Extension-Complete-Assemblies-for-12ga-12GA-EXT.htm

Plus one of these

http://sjhardware.com/store/modules.php?name=catalog&file=product_info&cPath=107_123&products_id=347&osCsid=7b808b27ce554c64d522365d46a00564

plus one of these in 3/4" XL

http://shop.nordiccomp.com/NC-Shotgun-Extension-Tube-End-Cap-12GA-CAP.htm

Results in a shotgun that hold 6 rounds of everything I tired, and almost fits a 7th round of really short european shells, but misses by about 1/4"

also added one of these

http://shop.nordiccomp.com/NC-Shotgun-Tube-Clamp-BCL-XX-12-00.htm

It's not the cheap way to go about it though.

The cheap way to go about it is this

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/172175/choate-magazine-tube-extension-with-sling-swivel-clamp-mossberg-930-12-gauge-2-round-parkerized

The cheap way requires a lot more TLC with regards to getting things feeding right. The nordic setup has tapers and bevels in all the right places, and the end cap is not plastic. Also if you ever leave NJ, you can jsut buy the middle part of the tube and a new spring for more capacity.

raz-0 - any chance we can get a pic of your setup?

Is there a chance? yeah. Is there a chance of soon? Depends on the mood of the kid. Not much spare time is left beyond matches and getting ready for matches. Or maybe I'll jsut stop being picky about a nice picture and snap something quick with the cell phone.

Ok, my 930.

18.25" vent rib barrel threaded for chokes (cut down by gunsmith)

Lengthened and polished forcing cone

hi-viz bead and leaf blade sight. (convertible).

Aimpro tri-rail.

Nordic components +2 extension.

Nordic components 3/4" XL end cap.

Nordic components barrel clamp.

Nordic components bolt handle (not visible in the pictures).

Brownells mossberg enhanced safety (metal and oversized).

Non-ported poly-choke.

S&J day glow green delrin anti-tilt extended follower with tactile divot to check if the magazine is really empty without having to look. I like it better than the ones with a tactile nubbin.

Mesa Tactical 6 round side saddle.

With a factory 18.5" barrel it should line up almost perfectly with the extension being a hair shorter.

I still need to find a rear sling mount. The mesa tactical loop that says it works with their side saddles does not in this case.

930_a.jpg

930_b.jpg930_c.jpg

• Like 1

whoa

weight?

No idea. Unloaded, I'd say it is probably 8.75+lbs. if I'd have to guess. Stock was 7 3/4, but the tube and choke likely make up for the 10" of barrel. The railed forend isn't light compared to the stock plastic. I'd say that plus the side saddle adds at least 1lb. But that's just a guess.

No idea. Unloaded, I'd say it is probably 8.75+lbs. if I'd have to guess. Stock was 7 3/4, but the tube and choke likely make up for the 10" of barrel. The railed forend isn't light compared to the stock plastic. I'd say that plus the side saddle adds at least 1lb. But that's just a guess.

I like it, ALOT. Although in its stock configuration and a +2 extender would suit me just fine.

Excellent! a lot of the competition model are 22" or 24". Do you think you're at a disadvantage by making it 18.25" against the 22"/24" in 3-gun competition?? Tactically and HD this is perfect!

Thanks for the detailed photo and specs. I definitely know what I will be looking for. Too bad the JM930 is not released yet.

Excellent! a lot of the competition model are 22" or 24". Do you think you're at a disadvantage by making it 18.25" against the 22"/24" in 3-gun competition?? Tactically and HD this is perfect!

Thanks for the detailed photo and specs. I definitely know what I will be looking for. Too bad the JM930 is not released yet.

There's a slight disadvantage shooting light bird shot at plates at longer distances due to lower muzzle velocity. I think that for the most part it just requires you to make sure you are shooting something a little hotter, and to be choked right for the stage. The NJ legal capacity definitely puts you at a disadvantage. At first, it looks like worst case is you get a 2-5 second penalty for reloading because you are two rounds short. Practically, stages are designed around a 8 or 9 round capacity, and you get screwed with a number of common stage gimmicks and array sizes. It's like shooting revolver at a match set up to be smooth for 10rd+ guns. Shotgun in 3gun is all about reloading.

whoa

weight?

Ok, I actually weighed it using the weigh yourself with it and without method. The bathroom scale says 8.6 lbs. Which is like 8lbs 10oz. My guess was 8lbs. 12oz. So not too bad a guess.

Ok, I actually weighed it using the weigh yourself with it and without method. The bathroom scale says 8.6 lbs. Which is like 8lbs 10oz. My guess was 8lbs. 12oz. So not too bad a guess.

Not too bad. Add a light and ammo and it puts it at 10 lbs. I still likes it

Hey few questions for you guys -

In NJ the 930 Spx with a pistol grip would be illegal correct?

How's the recoil on it?

How much did it send you back?

Yes, the pistol grip is illegal as it is semi auto.

The recoil isn't bad. Not as soft as a Remington 1100, but not far off. Softer than a Benelli though.

I got the base gun of mine for somewhere around $525 after shipping and nics. Then about $500 in add ons and gunsmithing.

Thats great Raz - your rig looks f'ing sick.

I like the model that comes with the rail on top and the ghost ring sights...BUT - they are 7+1 so Im assuming that ill need to swap out the plus 2 for a +1 choate extension?

Am I right?

Question: My 930 has a crimped magazine tube, meaning I can't just screw and extension on... what would I need to have to remedy that?

I doubt that is the case. Yes, there is a ring around it that looks like a crimp, and it isn't obvious how you take the bit that blocks the end of the mag tube out immediately, but you basically just pry it out carefully. I used some needle nose pliers and lever up each side a little at a time. Be wanred the spring will come flying out, watch your eyes/face/nearby pets or valuables/etc.

Thats great Raz - your rig looks f'ing sick.

I like the model that comes with the rail on top and the ghost ring sights...BUT - they are 7+1 so Im assuming that ill need to swap out the plus 2 for a +1 choate extension?

Am I right?

It actually has a +3 from what I understand. The base tube that ends at the end of the forearm will hold 4 rounds. Mossberg marketing decided to just start saying capacity was 5. Someone who knows more about guns than how the weasel like mind of marketing people works "fixed" it for them on some models and added the +1 back in.

If it jsut ahs a standard forearm, it is 4+1.

If it is an SPX, it is 7+1.

If it is the jerry miculek edition it is 8+1 (listed as 9) for the 20" barrel and 9+1 (listed as 10) for the 24" if they are ever actually available (which apparently they WERE very recently until they all sold out).

For illustration, THIS says it is 7+1, and THIS says it is 8 in mossberg's specs. You will notice the only thing that differs is one is a pistol grip stock and one is not.

THIS one says it holds 5+1, THIS one says it holds 5. The only difference is the muzzle device.

If you go to all the field/waterfowl models, they all now say 5 round capacity. Trust me, they are 4+1.

Mossberg's marketers decided they know better than many years of common convention when listing specs.