Ray Ray

Please stop reloading ammo, it's dangerous.

Please stop buying factory ammo.

This weekend alone...

Stopped one shooter twice because of light loads/squib territory with factory WWB.

Another shooter had an upside down primer in 9mm Remington.

Buy components, invest your time in educating yourself and reload.

On a side note... why does it seem that there are so many more issues prevalent in factory ammo nowadays than in the past year?

US government and wal-mart is my guess. wal-mart contract prices leave little margin on a good day. When commodities go up, it leaves negative margin. Also, WWB is contracted out to far away lands because domestic production capacity is better spent on higher margin products. So when there's production line capacity, WWB is from the US. When people are buying tons and there's demand for other products as well, the overflow gets contracted out. When the lines get to 100%+ capacity, service intervals get pushed as well. Which means worn dies stay in service, calibration intervals are longer, etc.

When demand peaked with hoarding plus massive military buys of 9mm, most WWB was not american made, and pretty much any component manufacturer was churning out 9mm for someone to make contract deadlines. precision delta's 124gr 9mm vanished for a while due to that.

Really

Reloading is not safe at all. Why?

1. It voids the manufacturers warranty if a round or case destroys the gun.

2. If you have a catastrophic failure you could be seriously hurt or kill yourself or someone else.

3. Storing primers and gunpowder is just a kaboom in the making.

I've heard it all. "This load works in my gun" or "I thought I checked it before I loaded it" or my favorite "It must be your gun!"

So, can we all agree on this and stop doing this dangerous practice?

(Note: This message is for everyone BUT Sigman. He should work for an ammunition company as his knowledge on the subject is second to none.)

Just remember, it was reloaders (and savvy tinkerers) who weren't satisfied with regular rounds that brought them to "hot rod" then-conventional rounds to something better. Just think:

• Elmer Kieth would have been satisfied with the .38 Special & .44 Special and never pushed the envelope for a .357 Magnum & .44 Magnum.
  • P.O. Ackley would never have taken every bottle-necked cartridge and put an "Improved" stamp on it and called it his own.
  • Roy Weatherby would have accepted a magnum cartridge's sharp shoulder and rebated rim and never devised his double-radius shoulder for his proprietary cartridges.

There are others involved in the mix, but hats off to those who took enjoyment while frowning at risk.

I realize the post was tongue in cheek and meant as a light-hearted jab. And it fostered a lot of good commentary.

Hey, my dad had me reloading shotshells, paper hulls w/ felt waxed fiber nitrocards and cardboard wads (plastic shotcups weren't available yet) when I was around 9 or 10. I still have both eyes and all my digits. It's not as scary as people make it out to be.

THIS was a scary centerfire reloading tool to use back in the 70's -

utf-8BL0RldmljZSBNZW1vcnkvaG9tZS-46.jpg