Dan

Conscripted two NYC new shooters

My friend and his friend are both starting the process to get a HG permit in NYC. They were both gun apathetic until I took my one friend shooting. He was thrilled and can't wait to go again. He showed his other friend pics and videos and now he's going for his permit as well.

My buddy is hiring some agency to help him in NYC. I told him he could do it all himself, but he wanted to make sure everything was A-OK. Supposedly this agency touts that they can get permits through faster by avoiding all the common mistakes and providing additional information up front that inevitably gets asked and causes delays. I thought our process was bad, but once you start reading NYC's permit process and laws your head will start spinning.

Shooting sports fun is contagious!

• Like 3

My friend and his friend are both starting the process to get a HG permit in NYC. They were both gun apathetic until I took my one friend shooting. He was thrilled and can't wait to go again. He showed his other friend pics and videos and now he's going for his permit as well.

My buddy is hiring some agency to help him in NYC. I told him he could do it all himself, but he wanted to make sure everything was A-OK. Supposedly this agency touts that they can get permits through faster by avoiding all the common mistakes and providing additional information up front that inevitably gets asked and causes delays. I thought our process was bad, but once you start reading NYC's permit process and laws your head will start spinning.

Shooting sports fun is contagious!

One of the NYC people I brought shooting last weekend is seriously looking to move to New Jersey just to have a cheaper simpler process.

When I got my NYC permit I went the agency route too. Afterwards I thought, "gee I I could have done that myself" but in reality probably not.

Huh.........NJ gun laws are just as bad...........IMO......keep going west or move upstate out of the city.

Not really. iirc, the handgun permit has something like a $500 non-refundable fee and they can deny you simply based on clerical errors made by the applicant. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

There is only one good thing about the NY process - it is crystal clear in it's requirements and laws, relative to New Jersey's process.

Huh.........NJ gun laws are just as bad...........

When I moved here from Queens I felt like I was in the Promised Land when it came to getting my permits. THat has worn off, but I still shudder at the cost of the NYC permit.

When I moved here from Queens I felt like I was in the Promised Land when it came to getting my permits. THat has worn off, but I still shudder at the cost of the NYC permit.

I felt exactly the same way moving from Brooklyn