In recent years, I have seen a few things out in the field that just leave a sour taste in my mouth re: hunting

There are way too many disrespectful idiots out there going unchecked. There is no level of respect for the animal. You only take the shot if it's a good kill shot- nothing less. You don't shoot to injure and you don't disobey the hunting regulations. I've seen it go the other way.

Another unfortunate thing is that a lot of these animals are forced into populated areas because of us. We just keep developing everything and anything to put up yet another Wal Mart, etc. I love hearing people say how stupid (xyz) animal is for being near or crosing a road. Funny how when you head out to a much less populated area, those sorts of things are very minimal. You get something that ends up scared as sh*t in a neighborhood because it was bascially forced there and then the hysteria starts as if its on a ravage killing spree. Ridiculous.

I would agree with you that there are plenty of jazbo's afield. They are everywhere in life though, not just in the game fields. It would be nice to have more Conservation Officer's afield but their numbers are thin compared to the number of acres and wetlands they need to cover and the amount of hunters they need to keep a handle on. When you see something askew, report the offense to a C.O. The state has a toll free number set up for such things under the Operation Game Thief program. This includes ANY offense you see taking place. In areas that you hunt, find out the C.O. assigned to that region and you can call them directly.

OPERATION GAME THIEF - 1-800-222-0456

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ogt.htm

As for the land lost, there is nothing we can do to prevent "progress." The state loses thousands of acres a year to urban development. We are actually running out of land to develop.

http://www.nytimes.c...9Njzo.html?_r=1

I took my dog upstate to Delaware County, N.Y. today to get some exercise and look for some woodcock, which we found.

As always happens, there was coyote sign everywhere in areas I hunted and saw nothing only weeks ago. (It figures since the season is now over. I suspect their movements are still nocturnal too.) The road going in was dotted with fresh scat, some of the biggest I've ever seen. Contents tell me their diet is high-protein, mostly venison.

Some coyote scat (compared to a size 11 LaCrosse EEE boot)

utf-8BSU1HMDAxOTguanBn.jpg

I know this is an older thread, but we had a run in with a Coyote last week, during the late afternoon(5pm ish, starting to get dark).

We were on a friends farm(private property) repairing a fence. We rode a quad into a wooded section where the fence was damaged. The owners are elderly friends of my friends family. The "farm" is not actively being farmed.

As we were using a post hole digger, I spotted a Coyote about 20 yards and closing...growling and showing its teeth. My friend yelled and it didn't even phase it. Luckily the quad was only a few feet away so we jumped on it and took off. We told the owner of the farm, and he said he would make the calls to the state, I believe.

We still have yet to go back and finish making the repairs. Possibly this weekend.

What would be the legality of bringing a .223 rifle with us for personal defense, and what happens if we do shoot an aggressive coyote with it?

I know this is an older thread, but we had a run in with a Coyote last week, during the late afternoon(5pm ish, starting to get dark).

We were on a friends farm(private property) repairing a fence. We rode a quad into a wooded section where the fence was damaged. The owners are elderly friends of my friends family. The "farm" is not actively being farmed.

As we were using a post hole digger, I spotted a Coyote about 20 yards and closing...growling and showing its teeth. My friend yelled and it didn't even phase it. Luckily the quad was only a few feet away so we jumped on it and took off. We told the owner of the farm, and he said he would make the calls to the state, I believe.

We still have yet to go back and finish making the repairs. Possibly this weekend.

What would be the legality of bringing a .223 rifle with us for personal defense, and what happens if we do shoot an aggressive coyote with it?

The coyote dies. You take a pic with it and that's it

IBSP is loaded with fox. It is basically a sanctuary for them.

I had one come up and steal out bait right out of the back of my truck. I turned aroung to see the bugger trying to make off with it and I chased him and he dropped it and took off

The coyote around here are actually a different breed then a standard coyote. The have breed with wolves so they are bigger and are hunting in packs. As far as fish and game goes... Well loose lips sink ships. I doubt you'll get in trouble but why risk it.

Winter coyote hunting is a big deal up in the N.Y. counties I hunt. Each year they have a 3-day hunt that draws close to 1,000 competitors. It's become as popular as some of the ice fishing tournaments. (The largest coyote taken in New York was by hunter Shawn Orchard that weighed 81 lbs. up in Ontario, Wayne Co. during deer season some years back. 81 lbs.?) Those that are most successful in the 3-day hunt use hounds.

Publication1finalposter.png

These guys are pretty popular predator hunters up north and their hunt videos are well done.