Tactical Turtle

for you m14 guys...

If I remember correctly, there's a member who recently bought that chassis and is doing the conversion soon. As long as the base rifle you use is legal, and you play the parts game, it's legal....same game as EVERY other rifle in NJ.

EWWW Call Me old fashioned but why the hell would anyone take a beautiful M14/M1A and turn it into that ugly thing??? I guess it's kind of ok looking from a tactical stand point but hey to each his own. I could see maybe if i got a POS M14 for almost nothing and built it up to that then ok but IMO anyone would be crazy to buy a new M14 and then go and do that to it. Just my opinion though if you like it then do it up!!

EWWW Call Me old fashioned but why the hell would anyone take a beautiful M14/M1A and turn it into that ugly thing??? I guess it's kind of ok looking from a tactical stand point but hey to each his own. I could see maybe if i got a POS M14 for almost nothing and built it up to that then ok but IMO anyone would be crazy to buy a new M14 and then go and do that to it. Just my opinion though if you like it then do it up!!

I wouldn't buy a nice m14 and so that.. if it had a crack.in the stock or the furniture was in horrible condition. I would use the internals to make that

I LOVE the M14 for it's good looks and style, and I hate Bullpups.

However, I would own this. Honestly, it looks like a great system. If money were no object, I'd probably have both a classic M14 with its beautiful walnut stock, and one of these, since I do feel like it would balance the rifle quite well. It's nowhere near as handsome, but it is pretty damn cool, and it's probably lighter than the M14EBR, but gives a lot of the same advantages (and has a more compact size)

This is a pretty cool system though, it's amazing how the M14, the rifle with the shortest service life, and which among many is all but forgotten (well, until COD for my generation) keeps coming back to kick some a**.

A USGI 'glass stock or something like this would be a more interesting alternative for me. Manners came out with a prototype stock for the M14/M1A a while ago, but it has yet to realize production. (I've only seen this on SnipersHide and the M14Forums.) I corresponded with Manners back in January about a release date but they divulged no production timeline, at least not for this year. I think it looks sharp. It's along the lines of a McMillan M3A stock, but looks like a Manners. (That position for the rear swivel stud has to go though!)

MannersM1Astock.jpg

MannersM1A.jpg

I wouldn't buy a nice m14 and so that.. if it had a crack.in the stock or the furniture was in horrible condition. I would use the internals to make that

I have 2 M1as, I would not bastardise my rifle with that set up. If I had a crack in my stock, I'd pick up another one, lots of USGI stocks out there.......

Do the benefits outweigh the negatives?

Shorter, check

better optics mounting options, check

less wieght or more? Unknown

worse trigger, has to be since its a bullpup

weak side shooting, common bullpup issue

doesnt look like its free floating anything and how is that toprail attached. is it juct clam shelling the reciever? Could mean a real issue with precision shooting and repeatability.

I think that unless I read a range report from a trusted source, I dont see the value in the effort or pursuit of this solution. The cost of the chassis and a doner M1a make it an unworthy pursuit in my mind unless you absiolutely have to have a 308 that looks like its out of a video game.