Sign in to follow this  
DevsAdvocate

Looking for a good 'starter' muzzle loader...

Something accurate, cheap, with decent iron sights. Preferably a break-open design which can use inexpensive shotgun primers. Lightweight is also a plus...

I see a few at Cabelas every now and then at around $250... dunno how good they are.

Would you consider a traditional side-hammer percussion muzzleloader that uses even less expensive #11 percussion caps and patched balls with regular, inenexpensive black powder?

What are your goals with this new rifle? Will it be for target/competition or used just for deer hunting? Reason that I ask is that shooting plastic sabots requires a lot more cleaning a lot more often between shots than going "traditional". Don't be BS'd into thinking that real black powder is "dirty". Salesmen tell you that because they don't sell the real stuff that you can shoot all day!

If you'd like to see what these real guns can do (and shoot one for free) just give me a PM and I'll hook you up.

Dave

One of the most accurate guns I've shot in that price range is the TC black diamond. You can get a starter pack for 150 with cleaning supply ect. Stainless black composite stock. Its not a break and its a pain to clean but for a first gun its very accurate. I love mine but have moved on ill never sell it though. Too many deer on that gun.