Sandy

New M&P 40 Pro Series, pictures , thread not useless:)

I picked up my new M&P 40 cal Pro Series on Friday , shot it for the first time Saturday at the USPSA training . I love it , very soft push , hardly no recoil . It has the green fiber optic night sight on it. I don't know how good it is for the dark ( I hear the other type is better ) but I will say the bright green ball makes it super easy to sight up quickly in the daylight . The trigger is crisp and easy for me (it's DAO .claims to be 4 pds), I don't know much about trigger performance tolerances yet , but this is the nicest feeling one I have shot so far. Since it is the Pro Series , it has no safety except for the one on the trigger ( I don't get those..what exactly are they preventing ? Pull trigger , gun fires. I'm sure it is noob oversight but their purpose escapes me ) . Also no mag disconnect feature and no internal lock. The hole for it is there , but it is plugged up and there is no internal lock. It is the full size 5 inch barrell version and came with 3 different sized backstraps which is great as it fits my hand nicely with the small one installed.

ONE issue - I have to be even extra careful with the trigger guard. I don't know if it is because it is a large trigger guard in combo with my small hands ..but I have to angle my trigger finger UP to keep it out of there . On mine and Pete's other guns it is easy for me to rest your finger in a line above the trigger guard when you are not aimed ready to shoot..but with this gun l,ike I said, I have to angle my finger up and out of the way to keep it out of there.Plus the frame is beveled in towards the midline right above the guard ..makes it even more unatural to keep that finger safely resting on the frame and out of the TG. I am pretty dilligent about never touching the trigger until aimed and ready to fire and I am confident I can continue to do so with this gun... but I can see this frame in combo with small hands being an issue with shooter that have booger hook issues to begin with . I tried gripping it higher ..I think maybe the guard that is suppose to prevent slide bite pushes my hand down the frame a bit , if that makes sense.

Oh , and I had ONE light strike that day . Pffftttt. Hope it was the ammo ( Remington UMC .40 cal nickel plated ) , I heard not so great things about that ammo elsewhere. It was an off center hit too. I have the bullet still , in case pics would help anyone give me an opinion as to why this happened :/

Here are some pics of my new gun :

_DSC3722copy.jpg

_DSC3724copy.jpg

_DSC3727copy.jpg

_DSC3731copy.jpg

Can you rest you finger on the front of the trigger guard instead if the frame? Also gripping the gun as high as possible is always ideal if you can jam the web on your hand into the highest spot possible that might help.

No , the first knuckle joint of my index JUUUST passes the trigger with my hand pressed hard and high on the backstrap , nowhere close to reaching the far side of the trigger guard. My friend's 9 year old has bigger hands than I do :/

Since it is the Pro Series , it has no safety except for the one on the trigger ( I don't get those..what exactly are they preventing ? Pull trigger , gun fires. I'm sure it is noob oversight but their purpose escapes me ) .

The hinged trigger is to help prevent NDs by the trigger becoming snagged on something. If you don't press the lower part of the trigger, the upper part (which is the part actually connected to the sear) cannot move.

I little word of warning, although I shoot an M&P in competition and I love it, I'm not fond of it its trigger safety layout. Because the hinged part can be "brushed" against it isn't a very good safety compared with the center of trigger type (like Glocks or XDs). I'm saying this from personal experience.

Yep , smallest one. It says you can shoot it with no backstrap on , but it looks all disassembled and all then.

I shot it at the USPSA training on Saturday , not once did I touch the trigger when I did not mean to , but I was very aware that I had to keep my finger in a certain position ( angled up) in order to stay out of the guard. With My 1911 , Pete's CZ 75 and PX4 storm , and my revolver , it seems when you extend your trigger finger the way you are supposed to when not shooting your finger naturally wants to sit on the frame above the guard. But with this gun , pointing it straight puts if dead smack in the middle of the guard. For me at least . I'm sure anyone with grownup sized hands would not notice it as much.

I'll tell you what though , I would NOT use a holster with a retention feature that requires you press a button with your index finger. Nope nope nope , not with this one. Again , I'm sure it is unique to my kid sized hands. In any event I'll be extra careful . I am always extremely vigilant about keeping out of the guard until aimed ..but I will be extra extra careful with this one.