keithco88

Robinson Arms XCR-L

Hi folks

Anybody seen/shot this thing or one of the other variants? Robinson Arms XCR, I'm specifically interested in the -L (http://xcr.robarm.com/xcrl.php) chambered in 5.56 but they've got all sorts of options. Apparently it was part of the SCAR program with SOCOM but got DQ'd on a technicality for not providing blanks or something. I emailed Robinson Arms to ask a bunch of questions, specifically what a "restricted state" version might look like and cost. Will update this thread if I hear back.

In the meantime, what I've found online is an xcrForum (xcrforum.com), a couple nutnfancy vids including a 2012 shotshow update with the company president (where nutnfancy & his crew are kinda douchy to the dude...but whatev it's still useful info) and nothing else really meaningful/helpful. The concepts & design seem reasonably sound to me, but I'm no mechanical engineer nor a gunsmith.

So...thoughts? Am I gonna be the first person to try and get one of these things?

Thanks

Keith

PM Shane45. He owned one. I had been interested in picking one up and decided against. Went the cheaper, AR route. The owner of the company, Mr Robinson is a notorious misanthrope/jerk . See below rant:

http://xcrforum.com/...hp?topic=9168.0

It alone has made people swear off the product. I would still like one though.

I've had some trigger time behind one - the only one I've seen in NJ - with two different owners who were kind enough to let me get some range time. To sum it up quickly and from what I remember: AK-like internals, AR-like ergonomics, as if they had a baby. I wasn't overly impressed with it as the trigger left something to be desired, but it shot straight and went bang every time for the 100 or so rounds I put through it.

my response email from Robinson Arms:

XCR rifles come standard with a piston driven, heavy-duty 3 lug bolt, a free floating quick-change barrel, multi-position gas adjustment, 1913 Mil-STD rails in the 3, 6, 9 and 12 o’clock positions, and fully ambidextrous controls for the safety, magazine release and bolt catch plus a heat and abrasion resistant black finish. The non-reciprocating charging handle is located on the left side of the receiver and also features an integrated forward assist. Weights range from the 5.2 lbs Micro Pistol to the 8.25 lbs Standard with heavy barrel. The XCR also carries a one (1) year warranty.

The New Jersey compliant XCR-L is retailing for $1780 for the rifle with a fixed stock and permanently attached muzzle device plus any optional accessories you wanted to add. Pistols start at $1550. Rifles/pistols will ship ($25 per) with a manual, magazine (STANAG pattern, supplied by ASC) and hard case and usually ship in 6-8 weeks. Sights (+$190-$225), rail covers (+$36 for 3) and Cerakote color coatings (+$200; Flat Dark Earth and OD Green available) are not included at this price.

Conversion kits in all lengths can be had for $550 (barrel only: $350 each) and include the barrel, bolt, magazine and brass deflector for the chosen caliber(s). Barrels are chrome-lined and are available in 5.56 NATO (1:7 or 1:9), 5.45x39, 6.8 SPC and 7.62x39 with a light or heavy contour and lengths of 7.5" (Micro), 10" (Mini), 11", 12" 14.7", 16" and 18.6" (Standard)*. All barrels feature 1/2x28 tpi or 5/8x24 tpi threaded muzzle ends. Kits and barrels are usually ready in 3 weeks or less and ship for $15. Parts order forms can be found here.

To process an order, please fill out and return the attached order form and both pages of the consumer agreement. We would also need your billing and contact information and your dealer's shipping address and a copy of their FFL (they can fax it to the number below or email it to this address). Payment is preferred in the form of check/money order via fax or email, but we also accept credit/debit cards for a 3% surcharge or COD for an additional shipping fee. Your payment will not be processed until your order is ready to be shipped. If you have any questions, feel free to let me know.

*Add $100 for 18.6” kit/barrel. A rifle with a barrel shorter than 16” OAL is considered a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) and is subject to NFA rules and requires a Class III dealer. A $75 processing fee will be assessed to SBR orders and 50% of the total invoice must be paid up front.

things that stood out to me:

1) 1 year warranty - SERIOUSLY? I'm not buying this gun on that alone. I can get a longer warranty on a freakin washer/dryer combo

2) $200 for cerakote - talk about stickin it to the consumer. You're assembling the gun right there and have facilities to do it for less than half that price

3) $1780 without sights. Add sights and you're up around $2000...may as well buy a SCAR

Unfortunately this could be one of the most revolutionary and efficient guns on the market, but the company seems mis-managed to say the least. I'm buyin a SCAR or assembling a cheap AR while I wait for somethin better.

Thanks to those who offered feedback. For those considering, think twice.

1) 1 year warranty - SERIOUSLY? I'm not buying this gun on that alone. I can get a longer warranty on a freakin washer/dryer combo

Same warrenty as a Knights Armament or my $6K DTA SRS. What matters is how the handle it after warr but the way people are these days, I can understand this approach.

2) $200 for cerakote - talk about stickin it to the consumer. You're assembling the gun right there and have facilities to do it for less than half that price

I dont know where your getting it done but any reputable coater doing ceracote is usually around 350/400. So 200 to me is a very fair deal IMO.

3) $1780 without sights. Add sights and you're up around $2000...may as well buy a SCAR

Your going to the manufacturer!!!!! How would it look for him if he undercut his dealer network. He by default has to be the highest price. Talk to Tony at TJ's Sporting arms. If Im not mistaken he is a non stocking Robarm dealer that can likely order you one. I paid no where near retail for mine with sites etc etc.

I would take an XCR over a franken AR any day. I would (and did) take a SCAR over the XCR. I would take a KAC SR15 over the XCR too. So its not piston snobery :D

"Thanks to those who offered feedback. For those considering, think twice"

I dont mean to take you to task here but you are warning others about a rifle you have no experience with and championing ones you also have no experience with. This puzzles me.

• Like 1

"Thanks to those who offered feedback. For those considering, think twice"

I dont mean to take you to task here but you are warning others about a rifle you have no experience with and championing ones you also have no experience with. This puzzles me.

True, I guess I mean more about the company & the 1 year warranty piled with numerous reports of "spotty" service on the XCRForums. I guess I should specify to think twice about the manufacturer, you're totally right, I've not even smelled the gun so ummm...grain of salt and all that

updates on additional questions I asked RobArms. 2 business day turnaround on email over the holiday weekend. Hope this helps anybody else thinking about the XCR...I've since decided to save some cash and build an AR since it'll be my first "evil black rifle".

- would these mods be permanent or would I be able to undo them with factory parts/service down the road when I hopefully move out of NJ? I guess I'd specifically be talking about the stock, since the barrel device must be permanently attached

Because of New Jersey's restriction on both folding and collapsing stocks, it would need to be replaced as a unit since there is not a version of the FAST that is fully fixed.

- I've just started my research, so interested in anything you can tell me about your product and how it compares/contrasts to other newer model assault rifles such as the FN SCAR and the Bushmaster ACR.

I don't have very much experience with either rifle outside of a show room, but I can comment that most people seem to have a problem with the SCAR's bulk and reciprocating charging handle. The ACR

- I also read somewhere that the XCR was in line for the SOCOM contract a few years back but was disqualified on a technicality. Would you be able to elaborate on this at all? Not a key point in my decision making as I understand the sometimes illogical stringent constraints of milspec sometimes result in fine products being DQ'd, but I'd just like to know a little more about it.

I was not with the company during that time and have been able to glean very little of the circumstances surrounding the issue.

If the company doesn't have an official statement on my second and third points above that's fine, just let me know that and I'll go off the hearsay on internet forums.

I also have a few followup questions/concerns:

- 1 year warranty? Does this mean 400 days after I buy my rifle and the stock breaks, or some internal part malfunctions after only light use (I don't get to shoot as often as I like) the company won't service it? Or I will be charged more for it?

It depends on the situation. I've only charged 2 individuals for service on an out of warranty rifle and those were clear cases of operator error/negligence.

- What costs are associated with warranty service? shipping? gunsmithing charge? etc...

Generally just shipping and it does depend on the work performed.

- I assume if I bought a conversion kit it would included a permanently attached muzzle device at the stated price below?

There is a $50 fee for the permanent installation.

- Are the NJ compliant magazines sent pinned at 15 rounds, are they custom 15 round mags, or some standard 10 round mag?

They are supplied with standard 10 round magazines, but any STANAG pattern magazine will function.

Spotty customer service is a valid concern. Especially after their star customer support person, Terra, was no more :(

Spotty........that's a Nice way to put it. The CEO's meltdown was...interesting to say the least. Especially when he said flat out that anyone calling to ask when their rifle would be fixed would have that put to the bottom of the repair pile. When Robarms rifles WORK they're really really good, when they dont, they're nothing but trouble, and spend more time in transit between you and the factory than in your hands at the range.

Link to alex's rant

http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?79292-FYI-to-those-looking-to-buy-an-XCR-from-Robinson-Arms

Meh, his rant never realy bothered me. Seen it a bazzillion times in little shops with big backlogs... it happens. Prior to that diatribe when Terra was there CS was, dare I say it, very very good. To me the deat toll is when customers with problems get toldits somehow their fault. They skirted on the ragged edge of this from what Ive seen. But in the end the question becomes why risk it with a role of the dice on CS?