farfromahero

Skeet for the first time

Just have fun, be safe, and dont expect to break every clay the first time out. Other than that just remember to follow through with your shots, and lead the bird a bit, and you will do fine.

Two tips that have made a big difference for me:

Focus on the target, not your sight.

Before you call pull, raise your eyebrows. It'll open your eyes and allow more light to help you see the target.

Besides that, have fun. Clays are a whole lot of fun.

Make sure that the range master or whoever is running the pairings knows you're new and they'll slot you with either patient experienced people or other new people.

When I was learning as a kid, some adults took it a little too seriously and got bent out of shape that I was slowing them down.

Other one is for beginners, start with the shotgun on your shoulder in the ready to fire position rather than the low ready position as is the norm. This just takes one more movement out of the equation.

I had a pit to myself as it wasn't too busy over at r14 today. It was a lot of fun. My best round I went seven straight, my worst was 5. Not bad for a first time. The 28inch barrel I have needs a different choke. It has the accu. choke in it which the grouping was probably way more tight than it have to be. I want to get something with a cylinder choke or modified in the 28 inch. But for now, the accu is fine.

If you are shooting Skeet with a pump you are either REALLY FAST or they are only throwing one clay at a time. Or, maybe you are good/lucky enough to break the clays as they cross with a single shot...........

True Skeet has two clays launched at the same time, one from the left, one from the right. You try to hit the clay going away from you first, then swing to the clay coming towards you. Can you do this with a pump? Some can, but it will make it a much tougher game. This is where O/U's rule. Semis will work, but now you are chasing your expended shells.

well, the first few times through did one at a time, than moved up to firing one and as soon as the shot was fired the next one would launch. Than by the end of the day I was having some success with both at the same time. It was a learning experience. I am just shooting it for fun, not looking to compete or anything.