JrzyGuy30

English Labrador Opinions

So... my wife and I have been going back and forth about getting a English Labrador puppy (we ran across an opportunity to get one)..

We have a large enough townhouse with a side yard of our own and a full basement that will be his play area (finished area with no wood furniture)... She also has a little Maltese which is cool, but I want a 'guy' dog for myself since he's her buddy...and I can't take that little thing anywhere- it has a serious napoleon complex and wants to attack every strange dog and 'darkly' colored person.

I want a larger dog that can be loyal to the family but also fun to take out for walks and places etc..

Thoughts? Anyone have one as a family member? Anything I can throw at her to convince her we'll be fine getting one?

They are great dogs. Bred to work side by side with their person , they are very loyal , easier to train than most breeds. They also have soft mouths ( for retrieving purposes) so are less likely to buzz saw through things in your house past the immediate puppy weeks.

However , since they are so popular , breed stock has gone down. So you often hear about Retrievers that chew the legs off a couch , or are aggressive watch dogs , etc. They also have problems with hip dysplasia becuase of poor breeding practices.

That is true of any popular breed though. There are still a majority of good standard to the breed characteristic Labs. If you are getting from a breeder , make sure it is a reputable one who has the OFA for hips and such . Signs of a good breeder are - they interview the heck out of you before getting a dog , they always want to buy the puppy back from you if it does not work out , they don't have multiple litters a year from 1 **** ( if they have a bunch of litters per year they should have multiple bitches giving birth) , the pups will be in the breeders home being socialized while they are getting big enough to leave - which a good breeder will want to them to be PAST 8 weeks old before they leave. Also , no matter what the ad says or what anybody says , a good reputable breeder NEVER sells puppies at a pet store or a kennel. They just don't. They carefully screen owners , they would never put one for sale in a cage to the public.

If it is a rescue , even better ( IMHO :) ) . Yes , theoretically they don;t not come with the health certifications a well bred puppy from a top breeder would..but for whatever wierd reason they always seem to do fine or better even. Less cancer , less genetic issues. Maybe dogs are just overbred period when they have pricey papers ((shrug))

Prepare for the fact that the Maltese will probably bully the new dog. If he is a pup being pecked down in order could affect his personality . Little dogs are notorious for being more territorial and cantankerous than dogs twice their size.

Is the Maltese male or female ? What about the Lab? Will they be fixed ? If not two of the same sex usually fight. If they are opposite sex and not fixed you can have issues too , obviously .

Ok reasons to get one lol . They are awesome dogs. They are easy going and aim to please. There is a reason why they ( and German Sheps) are most often used as service dogs :)

Sandy covered it well. I have a feeling - and it's just that, a feeling - that English Labs are less "overbred" than your standard Labs. There are a couple that frequent the dog park I use and they are verrrry laid back and mellow. Easy to distinguish because of their very square, stockish build. The ones I have encountered are great. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

^ yes, they are less common and probably have not been as infiltrated with breed characteristics that would be considered out of standard..like chewing things to splinters . Any dog bred to retrieve delicate game should have a soft mouth. That is another reason that they are good for kids. On top of being probably the best natured in dogs , they do not mouth kids hard when they play .

I like the English standard better myself. They don't bark as easily and have a blockier/sturdier look to them that I like :) I have also heard they take the role of watchdog easier than the American standard and can be a bit more aloof towards strangers which can be a good thing.

My lab is an English breed and she's been nothing but the most fantastic dog since we picked her up at 8 weeks old. She's about 16 months old at this point and the world's happiest dog. She comes with me to work everyday so housetraining may have been easier but she was housebroken in 2 weeks time. She ate 1 sandal and 1 pair of motorcycle glasses and that's the only damage. Best temperment ever...very submissive around other dogs and just very caring. She would probably not act as a great watch dog as she's friendly to everyone, however she does bark deep and growl at people and dogs that she see's walking outside our front window. Like I said she comes with me to work everyday but we can leave her home alone for 6-8 hours easily without any worries. Often she'll go 10-12 hours on her own accord without having to go to the bathroom.

I'm also a believer in adopting pets however there weren't many labs available when we were looking and we used HiView Labs in Flemington. I highly suggest them as the owner is obviously very passionate about her animals, very involved in genetic testing, and screens all potential owners to make sure you're a responsible, good fit. That being said it's not a puppy mill by any means so they only have puppies available once or twice a year.

Get one from a reputable quality breeder. Interview and do a thorough reference check on the breeder. Find out where the lines are from and trace them through the AKC registry. Also, as previously mentioned, a good breeder will usually interrogate a potential owner before they sell them a dog.

My English lab is 4 years old, and has mellowed substantially. The puppy energy was a bit high but dropped off after he was around a year old. He is a blast and really thinks he's another human in the house, fantastic with kids regardless of age, and pretty much never barks. I would hands down recomend English labs. I second irishpete'swife on checking out the breeder and the hips, eyes etc.

My neighbor has the English Standard Lab, which my son often takes care of when they are away. (Come to think of it, my kids often watch, walk or feed another 4 dogs in our neighborhood.) Their English is a beautiful dog, with big, blocky features which sets him apart from another Lab on the block, and this male has all the attributes others have mentioned in response to your question. Great house dog and watchdog, and great with kids. I remember two years ago he was alone in the house, my son went to walk him, and found that he'd jumped up on the kitchen counter and ate an entire chocolate cake the mother had made for the daughter's birthday party that night.

English Labs come from true imported lines. American Labrador standards that have been bred to "look" English are not considered English Labs. The English strain is blockier in appearance while the American standard is more athletic and was bred primarily as a field dog. English can be bred as show dogs or field dogs, as can the American Labrador.

http://www.labbies.com/history.htm

Do they require much exorcise ? If so a condo might not be right. The dog if it does not get the required time will get aggravated and display some bad attitude. This is true of any breed. buy a dog that fits your lifestyle not one that fills a look.

I know I'm interested and I wish you luck.

Will behave like a puppy for the 1st 3 years! Find the best breeder you can. I have a English Goldendoodle and love the dog. I was more of a German Shep king of a guy but after this dog I will never get any other breed. NO shedding, great dispostion since a puppy and did NOT destroy my house. Also very protective and smart.