Sign in to follow this  
NJDrew1

Blind Gun Owner May Lose Collection

It would be unconstitutional to take firearms away from the handicapped. You can argue all the way to the supreme court that a blind person has the right to bear arms, if at most to shoot them at the range with seconadary assistance. To appreciate the sound & recoil of the blast. One can even argue that mere possession of belongings is 99% of the law even with no function what so ever.

If they can somehow proof he's a drunk/pill popper, he will lose his guns. If they can't, I would suspect he gets some support from not only 2nd amendment groups but also Americans with disabilities.

If they can somehow proof he's a drunk/pill popper, he will lose his guns. If they can't, I would suspect he gets some support from not only 2nd amendment groups but also Americans with disabilities.

being drunk or pill popping doesn't automatically make you unfit to own firearms. You have to be medically evaluated by a professional first.

In theory, you can answer "no" to the alcohol and drug dependence question on application forms if you haven't been seen and evaluated by a professional.

Morris County prosecutors say Steven Hopler is unfit to safely maintain his handguns because he abuses alcohol and was taking an antidepressant.

I would think even if you answered no to the question on the form, the fact that prosecutors have brought a case against you, would come up somewhere in a background check. And he will eventually have to speak with a professional after all this.

has the guy committed a crime making him a prohibited person? I say leave the guy alone and let him keep his guns even if he's blind and can no longer shoot.

IIRC he had his guns literally laying around the house unsecured, and a neighbor took one of them and either sold it or committed a crime with it.

IIRC he had his guns literally laying around the house unsecured, and a neighbor took one of them and either sold it or committed a crime with it.

While i do find that to be pretty stupid, many people who have perfect vision do the same thing and still have there guns. Are we as gun owners responsible for making sure that people don't steal them? Having a minor in the house would be reasonable to take his guns, but IMO if there in YOUR house they are secured. if he left them on his front stoop or in his yard that would be different.

I remember back in the early 90's this guy had a protracted court battle to get his FID card in the first place.

Fast forward to 2-3 years ago, the guy accidentally shot himself and then ended up in the hospital for an extended period of time. While he was there, a neighbor who (I believe) had access to his house stole numerous handguns from him. When the cops were at his house for the medical emergency, they found loaded handguns in the sofa cushions, in an oven mitt and various other places - not illegal as we all here already know, but the cops and prosecutor's office didn't like it and seized whatever they found, but didn't find all his guns.

Now, the prosecutors office is using statements from the thieving neighbor to claim he is a drunk and is prone to violent outbursts, and therefore should have his FID revoked and force him to sell off his guns. He said he drinks a six pack a week and that's it, and that the neighbor is an admitted thief and can't be trusted.

as long as there's no minor around, i dont think there's anything wrong with that. They should be charging the neighbor with all kinds of crap instead of having him testify against the blind guy for a deal.

I know several people (including a few LEOs) who's house is filled with guns all over the place where you could literally get to a firearm in any room within 2 seconds.

Leave him the hell alone! they put brail buttons on drive through ATMs! We all know that you can drive a car while blind in new jersey so why not let him keep his collection. What kills more, cars or guns!?

Ken