Shawnmoore81

Pennsgrove middle school on lockdown

Most likely charges won't stick because a good lawyer can point out the kid was not aware of his actions and reprocussions of his actions and lacked the required mental state to commit a crime due to his age. ..... Just kidding while reading some notes Age 14+ you have the mental capacity to commit a criminal offense. Maybe they can work a deal out so the rest of this kids life wont be screwed by a stupid decision he made.

You need to RTFA so you aren't calling people out without actually understanding the conversation. The POLICE are charging him. People's aid that's a bit much, and you mr. Smarty pants came in saying they were wrong, he should be punished.

First off, I wasn't calling anyone out... I was just stating my opinion about this stupid kid and that he was wrong for bringing a paintball gun to school. If someone disagrees with my opinion, that's fine... that's their perogative and it's a free country... and I won't get all butthurt about it. And second... I didn't tell anyone in this thread that they were wrong. I said that they misunderstood what I was saying, which is that the kid needs to be punished for the chaos he caused... NOT slapped with weapons charges on the stupid paintball gun!

I was also trying to convey the mindset of a concerned parent, as some in this thread stated that the parent that reported the kid was an idiot for assuming that she thought the kid had a real gun... That parent most probably doesn't know a thing about guns and couldn't tell the difference between a paintball gun and a real gun. Some guys that do not have kids yet cannot understand how a parent could feel about the potentiality of their kids being in mortal danger. That parent that reported the kid, was 100% right in doing so. That's all I was trying to point out... but I guess that makes me a contributor to the "Pussification of America", huh?

Before you start talking smack, Mr. "Smarty Pants" maybe it's you that should go back and RTF thread a bit more thoroughly.

Well I just saw this story on the news and at no point did the news put paintball in front of the word gun. I guess the media feels its a better story if it's a gun. This is exactly the shit that pisses me off. The media lies and alters stories for their own benefit.

First off, I wasn't calling anyone out... I was just stating my opinion about this stupid kid and that he was wrong for bringing a paintball gun to school. If someone disagrees with my opinion, that's fine... that's their perogative and it's a free country... and I won't get all butthurt about it. And second... I didn't tell anyone in this thread that they were wrong. I said that they misunderstood what I was saying, which is that the kid needs to be punished for the chaos he caused... NOT slapped with weapons charges on the stupid paintball gun!

I was also trying to convey the mindset of a concerned parent, as some in this thread stated that the parent that reported the kid was an idiot for assuming that she thought the kid had a real gun... That parent most probably doesn't know a thing about guns and couldn't tell the difference between a paintball gun and a real gun. Some guys that do not have kids yet cannot understand how a parent could feel about the potentiality of their kids being in mortal danger. That parent that reported the kid, was 100% right in doing so. That's all I was trying to point out... but I guess that makes me a contributor to the "Pussification of America", huh?

Before you start talking smack, Mr. "Smarty Pants" maybe it's you that should go back and RTF thread a bit more thoroughly.

I remember I use to judge people that were paranoid about their kids . Then I had my own. Some parents show the paranoia , others bury it ..I bury it somewhat. But we all have that dark fear that God forbid we might outlive one of our kids.

I was never afraid of anything and scoffed at people who were cautious and fretted before I had kids. Fast forward to last week when my 3 year old boy face planted into a stagnant warm pond and took a bunch of water up his nose and down the hatch. I am big enough to admit I googled "killer amoebas" in NY and was glad to find no cases lol

That parent and crossing guard that reported this is no way in the wrong. But the media as usual is off the wall and the charges hit on this kid are incredibly unfair to him and could bite him in the a$$ in the future , and he does not deserve that. He deserves to be grounded from using his birthday gift for a long time , maybe a grounding and detention..but that is about it.

I'm willing to a criminal mischief with doing community service this summer. Not felony charges. Id rather see the school and parents handle it but we all know that's not going to happen.

Btw I do not know the kid or even what his name is.

I remember I use to judge people that were paranoid about their kids . Then I had my own. Some parents show the paranoia , others bury it ..I bury it somewhat. But we all have that dark fear that God forbid we might outlive one of our kids.

I was never afraid of anything and scoffed at people who were cautious and fretted before I had kids. Fast forward to last week when my 3 year old boy face planted into a stagnant warm pond and took a bunch of water up his nose and down the hatch. I am big enough to admit I googled "killer amoebas" in NY and was glad to find no cases lol

That parent and crossing guard that reported this is no way in the wrong. But the media as usual is off the wall and the charges hit on this kid are incredibly unfair to him and could bite him in the a$$ in the future , and he does not deserve that. He deserves to be grounded from using his birthday gift for a long time , maybe a grounding and detention..but that is about it.

Good to see that at least someone on this forum understands what I was trying to say... My 4 and 5 yr old were locked down in their school in the last couple weeks due to a guy seen near the school property with an AR. Heres the article about that: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/05/reports_of_gunman_in_clinton_t.html

When I got the call from the school to notify us about it, I'd be lying if I told you that I wasn't shaken up about it. Lots of crazy shit happens in our world today, so a parent is always concerned about theirs and other kids safety.

I'm willing to a criminal mischief with doing community service this summer. Not felony charges. Id rather see the school and parents handle it but we all know that's not going to happen.

Btw I do not know the kid or even what his name is.

I agree with you... he needs be taught a lesson. No need to make this kid a felon and ruin his life though.

So did this woman who reported a gun to the crossing guard, allow her child to enter the school?

Putting myself into this position, if I saw a kid walking in front of my car with what looked like a gun sticking out of his backpack, I would confront the kid. I would catch up to the kid walking into the building and say hey do you have a gun in your bag? And I would go from there.

As a parent, how could you allow someone with, assumingly a real gun, enter the school your child is in?

The juvenile was charged with unlawful possession of a weapon and unlawful possession of a handgun on school grounds and was released to his parents, officials said.

Unlawful possession of a weapon? OK, I can see how maybe you could articulate that the paintball gun is a "weapon." Unlawful possession of a handgun? Unless he had a gun in his backpack does this prosecutor even read the damn law? Paintballs are larger than 3/8" diameter, therefore a paintball gun is not a firearm. Not a firearm, not a handgun...

So did this woman who reported a gun to the crossing guard, allow her child to enter the school?

Putting myself into this position, if I saw a kid walking in front of my car with what looked like a gun sticking out of his backpack, I would confront the kid. I would catch up to the kid walking into the building and say hey do you have a gun in your bag? And I would go from there.

As a parent, how could you allow someone with, assumingly a real gun, enter the school your child is in?

If he was in reach , either immediate distance or something I could close easily I would stop the kid . If he had it in his weapon in his hand in the ready , I would have to weigh it out. There are people way better trained than I am in dealing with a shooter with a gun in the ready. I could cause more of a setback than help . In a nutshell , always have multiple scenarios and WWYD played out in your head , without being overly paranoid that is,

Unlawful possession of a weapon? OK, I can see how maybe you could articulate that the paintball gun is a "weapon." Unlawful possession of a handgun? Unless he had a gun in his backpack does this prosecutor even read the damn law? Paintballs are larger than 3/8" diameter, therefore a paintball gun is not a firearm. Not a firearm, not a handgun...

If they do charge him with this , and it is dropped , does the arrest record stick with him?

He was arrested, he will always be arrested. An arrest record won't disqualify you from anything though, for certain things where it asks "have you ever been arrested," not "have you ever been convicted," it needs to be disclosed.

If he applies for a LEO position in 10 years and tells them he was arrested when he was 14 for taking a paintball gun to school, they aren't going to care. If you don't disclose, they start to care, and usually drop your application in the trash can because there are 10,000 other applicants that didn't lie to them.

Is it even legal for the police to charge him with possession of a hand gun, as even in NJ paintball guns are not firearms. Since the police already know that it is a paintball gun, it means they are charging him with a crime they know he did not commit. That’s not really any different than if they just started arresting people off the street and charging them with whatever crime they felt like.

Is it even legal for the police to charge him with possession of a hand gun, as even in NJ paintball guns are not firearms. Since the police already know that it is a paintball gun, it means they are charging him with a crime they know he did not commit. That’s not really any different than if they just started arresting people off the street and charging them with whatever crime they felt like.

Yet that happens every day here in this 'free' country. Weird isn't it?

Who said anything about massacres being commited by kids with paintball markers? Seriously??? What I'm saying is that this kid was a complete idiot and a fool to bring something like this into his school. People did not know that he had a paintball marker... they thought it was a gun... which caused the chaos that ensued. It is the chaos and trouble he caused that he deserves to be punished for... not for having a paintball marker.

Yes it is his fault that all this panic happened... because people didn't know that it was a paintball marker!!! I think you guys are missing the point. They thought there was a real gun in the school. Do you think that all this chaos would have happened if everyone had known it was just a paintball marker??? Come on guys... you can spin it around all you want and try to make it seem like this kid did nothing wrong... but at the end of the day, this stupid kid caused a whole lot of chaos and trouble.

Tony, while the kid was wrong and did something stupid, there is no need to make him a prohibited person for a poor decision at the age of 11-13..