Sign in to follow this  
specopsscout

Cop Question; Permits and references

So, I moved recently, and in doing all the paperwork to change the address on my FPID and dropping for a few handgun permits at the same time, I had a new experience. The Detective that was processing my paperwork advised me that as a LEO, I had to list my immediate supervisor and CLEO as my two references on the application. I don't have major heartburn about it, for the moment at least. My immediate supervisor and I are freinds, and my CLEO seems to think well of me, as well. I could see where this could be a problem down the line, if I am working for folks I don't care for or who dislike me. Moreover, I'm wondering how it will impact me professionally, as they will now in a defacto sense be kept abridge of every new handgun I purchase, since I have to use them as my references...

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a new law or simply a departmental policy for the new agency? Thanks in advance...

Odd Jackson township doesn't do that. Ask the detective why and who created said policy. Then explain to him your concerns. If they wanted my cleo And immediate supervisor, I would laugh, I work in a jail and by no means does the warden who is my cleo knows me, and my immediate supervisor knows I'm a gun nut lol . Bottom line is just ask, it can't hurt.

This is not new. I believe that it was a NJAG Directive to all PDs awhile back.

To specopsscout, if you think your supervisor would write a bad reference for you for buying a gun, would you be able to carry one at work?

This is not new. I believe that it was a NJAG Directive to all PDs awhile back.

To specopsscout, if you think your supervisor would write a bad reference for you for buying a gun, would you be able to carry one at work?

I'm a little more concerned with things like my CLEO not returning the reference letter, or leaving it laying on his desk for weeks at a time. Is there any form of remedial/ corrective action in the policy letter, to deal with this?

I am a police officer and have never been told that. I have dozens of immediate supervisors and we have multiple chiefs, captains and dozens of lieutenants. That rule is ridiculous. I use two of my neighbors as references who I have known my entire life so no this isn't done. I know a bunch of other gun guys at my job whose departments don't do this.

Based on this thread, today I contacted the US Library of Congress and requested that they start archiving NJGunForums, and I should get some sort of response in 5 business days.

Everybody knows Jersey sucks but I don't think the Nation knows this level of crazy exists. We need to preserve this shit for posterity so that Jersey never happens again.

;)

This sounds similar to the 600+ PDs doing what they want when given directions by the NJSP and/or NJSP for the FPID/Permit process. I have seen the letter stating that the immediate supervisor and CLEO be the references.

Based on this thread, today I contacted the US Library of Congress and requested that they start archiving NJGunForums, and I should get some sort of response in 5 business days.

Everybody knows Jersey sucks but I don't think the Nation knows this level of crazy exists. We need to preserve this shit for posterity so that Jersey never happens again.

;)

That reminds me...I have a pdf of the public hearing that Attorney Sills had in 1966 before the FID was ramrodded through the legislature. I need to convert it to text , people have to see the level of B.S. Sills pulled to get that bill passed....I need to type it out soon...not just for posterity ...but like you said "so that Jersey never happens again"...

That reminds me...I have a pdf of the public hearing that Attorney Sills had in 1966 before the FID was ramrodded through the legislature. I need to convert it to text , people have to see the level of B.S. Sills pulled to get that bill passed....I need to type it out soon...not just for posterity ...but like you said "so that Jersey never happens again"...

Is it handwritten or typed? If typed, just run it through some OCR software, if handwritten but printed and somewhat neat try it anyway, might work and is much easier than typing it all.

When I mentioned to the Detective that I'd been using non LEO family and freinds as references for years, he said it would get kicked back at his department due to my job, and I'd just need to add the aforementioned anyway...

So, I moved recently, and in doing all the paperwork to change the address on my FPID and dropping for a few handgun permits at the same time, I had a new experience. The Detective that was processing my paperwork advised me that as a LEO, I had to list my immediate supervisor and CLEO as my two references on the application. I don't have major heartburn about it, for the moment at least. My immediate supervisor and I are freinds, and my CLEO seems to think well of me, as well. I could see where this could be a problem down the line, if I am working for folks I don't care for or who dislike me. Moreover, I'm wondering how it will impact me professionally, as they will now in a defacto sense be kept abridge of every new handgun I purchase, since I have to use them as my references...

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a new law or simply a departmental policy for the new agency? Thanks in advance...

No, and it's bs..your dept had no business knowing what firearms you own unless they are qualifying you to carry them.

This sounds similar to the 600+ PDs doing what they want when given directions by the NJSP and/or NJSP for the FPID/Permit process. I have seen the letter stating that the immediate supervisor and CLEO be the references.

Paul, I just had a couple of guys go to the Seminar that NJSP runs for new guys who will be doing permits, as one of ours retired in Feb and the other is going with me in July, and NOBODY was able to get a straight answer out of the troopers even when asked specific questions....NOR were they given, offered, or allowed to Purchase a copy of the Guidebook....even in electronic format.

Thanks for the heads up. I spoke with my Major and he mentioned that he's had to fill out a few reference letters for Officers over the last few months. I guess Bordentown Township is not the only one enforcing it. He said a few came from guys that live down the shore. He also said he'd mention it to my Administrator, our CLEO, so he could keep and eye out, and get it returned quickly. I'll let it go for the initial processing, but if it becomes an every time thing...