Justjules

Considering a left handed AR

I am a left handed shooter, but have shot right handed rifles from a left handed stance and all my life without issue and was wondering if there was any benefit in going with a left handed AR like a Stag Arms 2LT or do you think the transition over would be awkward, since Im used to working all the safety and slide releases with my right hand already...Also Is the Stag arms 2LT a decent AR to buy?

I was considering picking up that exact config. Went with RH instead (non stag). I do think its something I will definitely get in the future just to have a weapon tailored to my left handedness. Stag makes a good product.. you cant go wrong.. Id pay for the upgrade package and get the better barrel, BC, buffer and extra mag. :)

I was considering picking up that exact config. Went with RH instead (non stag). I do think its something I will definitely get in the future just to have a weapon tailored to my left handedness. Stag makes a good product.. you cant go wrong.. Id pay for the upgrade package and get the better barrel, BC, buffer and extra mag. :)

Yes I was going to go with the upgrade package. If you in NJ they just ship you 15 round mags instead of 30?

They would send you 10 rounders as 15 rnd mags are not a normal item (altered mags) I agree that if youre used to it its not such a problem sticking with it. I like the notion that for once I dont have to settle to live in a RH world lol. Id pay the extra <100 for me to have a LH rifle. The only other thing that kept me from stag was the LH lower which didnt offer the ambi potential for my wife to enjoy as well.

Get a lefty AR or dump the platform completely and get a gun designed to be ambi. I say this knowing 2 good left handed competitive shooters, people who I know to be safe and who I've had handling loaded firearms next to me, on the clock, that have had serious issues with unintentional discharges during reloads. Most of the after market ambi mag releases are a hack, and a dangerous one as they require a bit more force to use than you realize and there is no "guard" around it like the normal mag release button has to keep your finger from slipping on the trigger while applying lots of force.

I've seen this scenario happen 3-4 times now, with people who I know are not idiots. In my mind it is no longer coincidence. Buy a lefty gun or a different platform.

Get a lefty AR or dump the platform completely and get a gun designed to be ambi. I say this knowing 2 good left handed competitive shooters, people who I know to be safe and who I've had handling loaded firearms next to me, on the clock, that have had serious issues with unintentional discharges during reloads. Most of the after market ambi mag releases are a hack, and a dangerous one as they require a bit more force to use than you realize and there is no "guard" around it like the normal mag release button has to keep your finger from slipping on the trigger while applying lots of force.

I've seen this scenario happen 3-4 times now, with people who I know are not idiots. In my mind it is no longer coincidence. Buy a lefty gun or a different platform.

I can see that being an issue. My thing is, I have been shooting right handed guns for so long, I never gave it much thought until I realized that a few companies make a left handed AR. My initial thought was, "cool the rounds eject from the opposite side" and I never really gave much though to the magazine release issue and safety switch as i have gotten so used to simply utilizing my right hand to do both as i hold the grip with my left. Probably not the "proper" way to do it but it has been working for me thus far. But Im not sure if it would be easier for me with a left handed rifle or if i would feel awkward using one. The problem is, there are not to many people who own a left handed rifle for me to even try using one...

I'm a right handed shooter, but do a fair amount of support side shooting. There is nothing wrong with using the default controls as a lefty that are available on a standard AR. Your support hand thumb can come back to press the mag release while ripping the mag out, and you can use your trigger finger to drop the bolt catch ( or reach under/around the mag with support hand). The only addition I'd recommend is an ambi safety selector, depending on if you use your thumb or trigger finger to engage and disengage.

Just my opinion.

Tactical Monkey hit the nail on the head. I am like everyone else, a lefty who has shot right handed guns his whole life. I purchased a leftie stag from PK90 for the reasons you were thinking about. After only having shot right handed AR's I can tell you I hated it and sold the upper after a short time. As was said stick with the advise in lucky post #13 and you will be good to go.