jmcgowe

Can FL resident legally own a handgun in NJ?

Uh, I'd double check that if I were you.

As you aren't technically a New Jersey resident it could become dicey. Your drivers license says Florida and if you get pulled over and the cop notices the gun, you may spend the next few days in jail and the next several months trying to get your gun back. It's not a question of registration, it's a question of permanent residency as far as NJ is concerned. They aren't friendly to NJ residents and are down right nasty to out of towners, vacation home or not.

It may be legal (not sure really), but I'd weight how gun illiterate the average police officer and DA is into that decision. They could really make your life miserable if anything happened.

Heck, you could run into trouble trying to take your gun home at the airport without a FID. It's happened before. (unless your driving of course, then don't worry about it)

And who the heck has a vacation home in NJ :p I want out of the state, and I sure as heck wouldn't visit it.

You should check with an attorney, but here is the statute:

2C: 39-6 e.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

g.All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Also, no magazines over 15 rounds and, leave the Hollow Points home - there is no exemption to transport them between residences.

Many thanks for the replies to this "newbie" request. There is no question that the NJ firearm laws are complex and confusing, which is why I reached out to this forum. I have also read and reread the relevant NJ statutes and have called the NJ State Police to inquire about my situation. Here are the conclusions I have come to:

• Although my primary residence is in FL, I am considered a dual resident, and thus can transport my handgun to my NJ vacation home. I cannot find the term "dual resident" in the statutes, but it appears I am covered under 2C: 39-6 e (which is included in NJ2AS-LLC's response above...thanks), which permits transport "...between one place of business or residence and another when moving..."
  • I must, of course, transport the handgun properly in accordance with section g (i.e. unloaded, securely encased, etc)
  • I do not need a NJ FID to transport the handgun, but I will need one to purchase handgun ammo. While it might be possible to obtain a resident FID, I have decided to obtain a non-resident one through the NJ State Police. This is what they advised.

It also appears that I can transport (properly under section g, of course) the handgun from my NJ residence to a target range as provided in 2C: 39-6 f (3) (b).

Notwithstanding the above, there is no question that this is not risk free. There is always the possibility that I could undergo some serious travel disruptions if stopped for a traffic violation by local police. Of course, this holds true in any state enroute to NJ, although some states would be more accomodating than others. Anyway, many thanks again for your replies. I would, of course, welcome any further comments or opinions. This appears to be a serious and well-run website and I'm glad I posted here.

I am in the same situation, as I "became" a Florida resident, and my home now in NJ is considered a vacation home. I also own a business in NJ, so I can also have a legally registered pistol at my business, properly stored. I can also keep one in my NJ home, bring that gun to either my business or go directly to a range, also properly stored NJ law wise. I "can not" go to other places with the pistol, except stopping for gas, or I will be transporting illegally. No diners, no friends house, no movies, etc.

I am in the same situation, as I "became" a Florida resident, and my home now in NJ is considered a vacation home. I also own a business in NJ, so I can also have a legally registered pistol at my business, properly stored. I can also keep one in my NJ home, bring that gun to either my business or go directly to a range, also properly stored NJ law wise. I "can not" go to other places with the pistol, except stopping for gas, or I will be transporting illegally. No diners, no friends house, no movies, etc.

NJ has no firearm storage laws that I know of. If you own the business, you can have that pistol loaded in your pocket if you wish. And what do you mean "legally registered pistol"?

NJ has no firearm storage laws that I know of. If you own the business, you can have that pistol loaded in your pocket if you wish. And what do you mean "legally registered pistol"?

Not strictly true. This statute provides an affirmative defense if you store your firearms properly and a minor gets them. You're only guilty if the child gets it and you didn't store it in the manner listed below. I suppose it's a reward for good behavior and not a storage law.

2C:58-15. Minor's access to a loaded firearm; penalty, conditions

1. a. A person who knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to a loaded firearm at a premises under the person's control commits a disorderly persons offense if a minor gains access to the firearm, unless the person:

(1) Stores the firearm in a securely locked box or container;

(2) Stores the firearm in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure; or

(3) Secures the firearm with a trigger lock.