DJNEB

Question regarding obtaining handgun license

I had a quick question about how to obtain a handgun license. I live in NJ, and have to deal with the state police for firearm paperwork, and I was curious if the paperwork for the handgun license was the same as the paperwork for the FID card? I am 21, already have a FID and I do not see any form labeled as just handgun permit on the NJSP site, but a combined form for FID/handgun permit. or do I just go to the police station and ask for a handgun permit paperwork? That was my first question.

I also have a second question - I was arrested for a firearm I have being considered an assault weapon. I have an arrest record, but the case was dismissed and have no criminal record. That is the only problem with my record, but I am hoping because it was dismissed that it wont be a problem or prevent me from getting a handgun permit or even to purchase a handgun? Can anyone think this would be a problem for applying for a handgun permit, or if I do get a handgun permit, would it prevent me from buying a handgun? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

To get a P2P(Permit to Purchase) a handgun, you have to fill out the same application you did for your FID. But check the box for pistol permit, instead of FID.

If you have an FID and then got arrested for an assault weapon and they let you keep your FID, you should be ok to get a permit to purchase a pistol.

For our own education, we'd like to know more about the assault weapon arrest and dismissal.

Yes It's the same form just check off pistol permits and write down how many you want.

Can't tell you what they would say but you should be fine. Apply anyway, If you get denied appeal.

The process is basically the same as when you applied for FID but you should be able to skip fingerprints.

To get a P2P(Permit to Purchase) a handgun, you have to fill out the same application you did for your FID. But check the box for pistol permit, instead of FID.

I thought that I needed to fill out the same packet as well, but the packet I received from the station had a whole packet of info on it, and one statement was made stating if "you already have a Firearm ID card and wish to apply for a permit to purchase a handgun", this is not the packet to use. So, this is the correct packet? Is the only cost for a permit to purchase the $10for the application and $2 for one permit?

More details on this arrest please.

and the arrest was last january, I had just bought a pistol gripped pump 12 gauge and was stopped and told the gun was an assault weapon due to the attached pistol grip, however that law only applies to semi auto shotguns. therefore the gun was returned to me and I recieved a letter from the prosecutor that the case was dismissed. So I have an arrest record, but no criminal record. at no time did i lose my FID.

This is the application top of the form below change of name, there is box that says "Application to purchase a handgun" No. of permits_______

http://www.state.nj.us/njsp/info/pdf/firearms/sts-033.pdf

From what you said about the arrest you should be fine, you might run into a hiccup because some cop didn't understand the laws. But you have paperwork that says it was thrown out you should be fine.

Wait a sec... I think I remember you. You were driving in Cherry Hill when this happened and you happened to have the shotgun stock in the back of your Jeep, right? You had just bought the gun, right?

You are fine. Go back and apply for your pistols and enjoy.

Wait a sec... I think I remember you. You were driving in Cherry Hill when this happened and you happened to have the shotgun stock in the back of your Jeep, right? You had just bought the gun, right?

You are fine. Go back and apply for your pistols and enjoy.

yes that was me, glad my ridiculous case made an impression. and yes, I had just bought the gun that day. it was a birthday present to myself.

I thought that I needed to fill out the same packet as well, but the packet I received from the station had a whole packet of info on it, and one statement was made stating if "you already have a Firearm ID card and wish to apply for a permit to purchase a handgun", this is not the packet to use. So, this is the correct packet? Is the only cost for a permit to purchase the $10for the application and $2 for one permit?

and the arrest was last january, I had just bought a pistol gripped pump 12 gauge and was stopped and told the gun was an assault weapon due to the attached pistol grip, however that law only applies to semi auto shotguns. therefore the gun was returned to me and I recieved a letter from the prosecutor that the case was dismissed. So I have an arrest record, but no criminal record. at no time did i lose my FID.

Step 1: http://njsp.org/info...rms/sts-033.pdf

Step 2: http://njsp.org/info...arms/sp-066.pdf

Just check off permit to purchase a handgun and how many you'd like. You already have your FID so you need not check FID. You also have to sign a form (can't remember name) that allows them to run your prints for non-criminal purpose.

$18 money order made out to "..."

$2 for each permit.

Step 3: Sue the ****ing **** out of that department for wrongful arrest for "Arrest by incompetence" . I can't believe they didn't wipe your record after that bs.

**Editted to add reason for lawsuit**

Edited by ChrisJM981

If you were charged with a crime (any crime, firearm related or not) and were either found

Not Guilty, or the charges were dropped/dismissed - you should apply to the prosecutor's

office where the original charges were filed and ask them to have your charges expunged.

This process will wipe the slate clean and remove any history of the event from your record.

I believe it is federal law that the process be Free of Charge if you were found to be innocent

of any wrong doing.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out...............

If you were charged with a crime (any crime, firearm related or not) and were either found

Not Guilty, or the charges were dropped/dismissed - you should apply to the prosecutor's

office where the original charges were filed and ask them to have your charges expunged.

This process will wipe the slate clean and remove any history of the event from your record.

I believe it is federal law that the process be Free of Charge if you were found to be innocent

of any wrong doing.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out...............

+1.... Just because the case was dismissed, doesn't mean you have a clean record. The arrest charge still may come up. Make sure your slate is clean if you were improperly arrested.