acuevo

I WANT to build an AK but...

I don't have any of the equipment needed to do it! Does anyone here have this stuff? I'm not trying to do anything really special with it. Just a standard, functional, reliable AK variant. I was thinking about a Nodakspud reciever. I just need help with the riveting part. And possibly the barrel pressing and setup (gas block, front sight) depending on what kind of parts kit I end up with.

I decided to go the build direction for two reasons. I understand it will likely be more expensive when all's said and done, but with building it I can at least buy in intervals instead of going all at once, therefore cheaper in the short term. The second reason is that it seems to be hard to find one that fits NJ law. I know theyre out there, just a matter of finding it and all. I guess it just seems easier to me to get the legal issues squared away before assembling the gun (I guess it can't really be called "readily accessable" or whatever the law says if it needs to be riveted and I dont have the tools).

So anyway, if anyone does this or has done it or knows a smith that can do it for a decent price, can you help me out? I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Building an AK variant is more difficult than an AR15 type rifle. There are rivets and pins to press fit. The tool cost may not be worth it to do a couple of rifles. Someone here had a rifle built, but the builder wasn't local. I don't think you'll find any smiths in NJ that will do it.

I think the main difference is that when people "build" an AR they are usually assembling it versus building an AK where you are, in fact, actually building it.

If you're good with tools and metal working, and are handy guy, I say go for it, because it looks fun and you get to customize the rifle exactly how you want. Seems like building is half the fun of it.

Now if you don't have any experience with mechanical/machinist etc. type work I'd advise against it, as you'll need a bunch of tools and drilling/pinning/pressing is easy to screw up.

Then again, illiterate goat farmers build these in the dirt, so there's always that.

May I suggest a Saiga? You can do the full conversion which is a bit of fun work, you get to do some grinding, pinning, and punching, and you get to buy in intervals, but the main hard part - pinning the trunion and welding the receiver rails is all already done.

yeah i am considering the saiga. i'm a mechanic at a honda shop so i'm fine with building things.. i just don't have the tools for the riveting nor do i feel like spending the money to buy them. i mean, i don't plan on building hundreds of rifles.. only maybe 10 or 20 :D