My son gave me a Glock 81 knife yesterday from a collection he picked up.

I'm looking on the web for testimonials now, but I'm curious of others opinions from this site if they have this knife and have used/abused it. Yes, I realize its blade design makes it limited in its functionality, and would never be my first choice for a knife. Is it simply a crude $29 knife, or have some found it to be more than that? Thanks

It's 1095 steel with a pretty poor heat treat and a all the ergonomics of a 70s era bayonet. Basically, you beat the crap out of it, it shoudl take an edge without too much effort, and lose it again without too much effort. Rinse and repeat relatively frequently until you have less blade left than you are happy with, and throw it away.

So yeah, it's mostly a $29 beater knife.

Seems folks have spent a lot of time and effort on YouTube "testing" this knife and providing their personal assessments over what seems to be nothing more than an unwieldy "throw in the back of the truck as a spare for a hunting/camping trip" throwaway knife. Even for hunting/camping I would be served better by other knives. I suppose this beats nothing and I suspect the panache this may have comes solely from the name "GLOCK."

I have one and use as my goto knife. It bounces around my trunk, get used abused and keeps on working great.

I like the extra thick blade. Doubles as a pry bar ;)

For the money I think it is a good value...

What would you recommend over the Glock knife for $29 or less to beat the crap out of? I was thinking of getting another for when we take my wife's SUV. Need it for cutting, chopping, prying, banging and abusing.

I have been unimpressed with the Glock knife. It looks mean. The blade geometry serves one useful purpose, that's about it. I heard the sawteeth are a good feature.

I have carried this Schrade Custom Hunter, a Schrade-Loveless collaboration I purchased back in the 70's. It is not a camp knife but makes a great skinner and field-dressing knife. It's thick spine can split pelvic bones with a good piece of timber behind it. It is shaving sharp and I have had no cause to find something better. However, I would never pry with or abuse this.

IMG_0457.jpg

I just got the Glock knife in. I had never seen one and figured for $29 I could do gar worse.

it's crude and just a beater knife to me. Relatively light and will likely sit in the back of an SUV as a backup or be sold. I tend to use good EDC folders more than anything and got this on impulse.