I was wondering if there was a benefit to piecing together a reloading set up verses buying a kit? In researching equipment to get started in reloading, I see Lee has a cast iron framed single stage press that is sold alone for about $100. Lee also has a kit that comes with an aluminum frame press for about the same price. I come from the old school thinking that cast iron will last a lot longer than aluminum for tools. How big a difference does it make?

Regarding the scale, is a digital better than the beam type?

I'm taking the slow road approach to putting my set up together. I have already purchased the Hornady magnum sonic cleaner and case solution. I've been experimenting with cleaning the cases (primers still in) with hot water and an ounce or so of solution and have gotten pretty good results. Went this route since I don't have a place to set up a tumbler and deal with the dust.

Kits will give you everything you need at a great price. Piecing it together will get you exactly what you want at greater cost.

Balance beam is considered the standard as it isn't prone to interference from atmospheric conditions like a digital. Digital is faster. Both will work. YMMV.

I'm just getting started in it myself and was luck enough to get a bunch of stuff on the cheap or at no cost. It's not a crazy expensive part of our hobby but the initial startup can be a little daunting depending on the type of stuff you like. Take your time and have fun with it.

C

I bought the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit and the only things that I replaced so far are the scale and the lube (for rifle). I picked up an RCBS 5-0-5 on ebay and haven't looked back. I also added a lot of other things to my bench, but that will come with time for anyone. That kit has served me for almost 2 years now loading 9mm and .308, but I'm considering getting a LnL AP soon for pistol.

There's nothing wrong with the kit as long as you want what's in it. It also depends on what you're doing with it. I wanted the Perfect Powder Measure instead of the Auto Disk one because of the micrometer charge bar, but now I found out that for flake powders, the thing leaks a bit. For extruded powder though, it doesn't leak at all.

I have the Lee kit (Challenger IIRC), it's fine although it has its limitations. With people selling used kits all the time you don't really have to settle for entry level if you don't want to. That balance that they give you is ok for setting up your powder measure but if you intend to trickle your precision rifle loads you'll be there all day.

I was unable to find a Lee with an aluminum frame, though. I would imagine a cast aluminum press would be bad in many ways and if it was forged they wouldn't give it to you for $100

This is an area I feel that you should not skimp on. Now no need to go the Dillon 1050 route or anything, but look for quality kits. I wouldn't want to skimp on a press, after all you might as well get something that will last a life time and then some. Also while no press with be 100% trouble free, a quality one will give you less problems in the long run.

Thanks for the input. I have decided to take the long road and purchased a Lee classic cast single stage press from Midway earlier today along with a set of lee shell holders and the universal decapping die. Figured I can start depriming my brass while I decide what I'm going to start reloading and research the rest of the gear some more.