deadeye74

Recycling brass

I was wondering if anyone had issues taking their old brass cases to the scrap yard to cash them in. A few days back I had a conversation with a guy who said the scrap yards only take it for free since they need to wash and process it before they can sell it, even if you bring it to them all cleaned up. Not sure how many places this person checked with, but it seems like there's a scam afoot if this is what the recyclers are doing.

Except for 22LR, I think you can get more for brass from reloaders than scrappers. You have to separate it, but you don't necessarily need to clean it.

This, of course unless you really need the cash.

Got $1.40 / lb last week (22 cal), I just checked and this week its up to $1.65

Prices vary scrap yard to scrap yard, However this one you speak of is rakin ya over the coals. The only thing Ive heard em knock ya on (reduce price) is if you have a lot with nickel coated brass.

As mentioned above ya can get more selling to reloaders than ya can for scrappin!

Being in south jersey, most of the scrap yards here are small time unless you go into Camden. It wouldn't surprise me if some of the "recyclers" yards told people they have to give them brass casings for free cause they have to be cleaned.

I'm just starting with reloading, so it will be a little while before I have some full 5 gallon buckets of many times fired brass. The thought of tossing them into the trash when they have reached the end of their useful life just don't seem right if there's $$$ to be made.