Steve_G

OBRAMS October Multi-Gun Match

it was a good match. stages were neat. a thought or twwo. started late. ended late.

Very True. I got there at 7:45AM, could have stayed-home and slept.

in morning a lot of work to be done and a lot of people doing nothing.

There were also a lot of people helping build and/or finish what was started Friday. Were you there to help?

had to leave before prizes. alot of shooters that should not have been shooting because they cannot hit anything and took too muck time between shots and waited to run out of amunition befiore stopping.

Seriously? So only Grand Masters should be allowed to shoot?

i think time limits would help. just thuoghts. still had a good time. wanna see the video. nice job anyway iggy and ritch.

This match was a lot of fun. I had never shot in any competition like this, and I had a great time. Looking forward to more!

Great group of people too. Everyone was friendly and answered all my newbie questions and gave advice freely regarding the rules and strategies.

My shooting partner and I had to leave early to get to work, and another squad was gracious enough to let us shoot a few stages with them so we can finish. If anyone here was in that 5 man squad, thank you.

Iggy was a rock. I know my partner and I must have driven him crazy with requests and questions.

Did they award the plaques at the end of the match? If so where can I find the scores?

You and your friend shot with us. Alec, who RO'd most of the day, and expects a plaque, is the guy we were making fun of above, needing a 55 gallon sombrero for that HUGE ego! It was no problem having you guys shoot with us, as you saw, we had a very small group.

Ego - Nahh - I just like to bust balls., it is a competition after all isnt it? ...But if you bring me a sombero i'll wear that mofo!

Yeh, we had that small group of 5 shooters, got a little rough at times during the resets with only 5 shooters, But we got through it.

As far as the guy complaining about late starts - Step up and volunteer for setups, Get in touch with the match directors, ask if they need help with getting things done. There is work before, during, and after the match the needs to get done.

Personally, I spent about 7 hours of my own time prepping for the OBRAMS match between friday and saturday. There is a ton of behind the scences work that go into running a match, for little recognition and personal gain. Thank your local match directors and offer a helping hand if you can find the time.

hey mr. bringo do red letters mean you are yelling at me. i think iggy and richy did a great job and the match was great. im sure they spent a lot of time just preparing. probably a lot of people to. i thought we preregistered to save time. it took almost an hour and a halve to do paper work. to long. i thing obrams has grown up too be a quality match and does not need inexperiencd shooters. it used to be a beginners league but isnt any more. the stages are hi tech and you need to think a stragity not just shoot. i saw people not even able to do mag changes. what does it take to take some ammo and got to the range and practice shooting and mag changes to get readdy for the match. iggy and richy need to make a call whether it is for beginners or not. it is clear they are into the strong and weak hand thing. if you know this go practice or dont shoot the match. when you use up all your magazines shooting weak hand you need practice or you waste everbody time. i hope they have this again next year because when i heard iggy yelling at people to help tape i heard him say no more multgun mathces. i think to shoot the big october match you have to shoot at least 5 reglar season matches and be approved by iggy or rich. and i did offer to help but was told they had it covered. and i did thank each one of them. nice guys. as an after though they should have had someone selling hot dogs and stuff woullda made a ton of money.

hey mr. bringo do red letters mean you are yelling at me. i think iggy and richy did a great job and the match was great. im sure they spent a lot of time just preparing. probably a lot of people to. i thought we preregistered to save time. it took almost an hour and a halve to do paper work. to long. i thing obrams has grown up too be a quality match and does not need inexperiencd shooters. it used to be a beginners league but isnt any more. the stages are hi tech and you need to think a stragity not just shoot. i saw people not even able to do mag changes. what does it take to take some ammo and got to the range and practice shooting and mag changes to get readdy for the match. iggy and richy need to make a call whether it is for beginners or not. it is clear they are into the strong and weak hand thing. if you know this go practice or dont shoot the match. when you use up all your magazines shooting weak hand you need practice or you waste everbody time. i hope they have this again next year because when i heard iggy yelling at people to help tape i heard him say no more multgun mathces. i think to shoot the big october match you have to shoot at least 5 reglar season matches and be approved by iggy or rich. and i did offer to help but was told they had it covered. and i did thank each one of them. nice guys. as an after though they should have had someone selling hot dogs and stuff woullda made a ton of money.

I know that Iggy and Rich can speak for themselves. But being they are probably dog-tired at this point, I couldn't just let these comments slide.

As a League Discipline Chairman myself (and former Board Member) let me express some concerns. First and foremost, OBRAMS wasn't set-up for the benefit of NON-Members. It was established to provide an outlet to experience USPSA outside while using .22 ammo at .22 ammo prices. It was also established to provide OLD BRIDGE MEMBERS a Beginner-friendly atmosphere in said environment. This Beginner-friendliness is reiterated at every general membership meeting. The same ones that YOU don't attend since YOU'RE NOT A MEMBER. It's true that this new Discipline has grown in popularity, and I'm grateful that you respect Iggy and Rich as League Chairs. However, in somewhat typical computer-age younger thinking, you've also demonstrated a need to sound-off in a public forum WITH YOUR COMPLAINTS AND SUGGESTIONS instead of merely picking-up the phone or PRIVATE MESSAGING your concerns. In my mind (Old FUDD) that translates to "Bad Form".......

Suggesting that Old Bridge Members not be given a chance to learn a new Discipline SAFELY and under direct supervision is disgusting to me personally. Old Bridge Rifle and Pistol Club exists for the benefit of it's MEMBERS. Some shoot better/quicker than others, so if you can't be patient while waiting for your turn to shoot, perhaps you shouldn't be there????????

Most everyone on this thread is fairly new to the shooting sports. I have had the pleasure of shooting with most of them or mentoring some along the way. They all know my now-famous expression (borrowed from a dear friend who shoots mostly USPSA), "Nobody is here to win a Cadillac". I say this as a way of reminding everyone that we're all here for the same purposes, and that's to have fun and be SAFE! So please take some Old Fudd advice, and don't take yourself too seriously.

The Club's Membership Committee runs a New Member Sign-Up and Safety Check every month on the second Sunday at our Indoor Range facility, starting promptly at 09:00 hrs. IF you want to really see/help with running a League, please consider joining if you're not already a member, since decisions are made by the people in the room......

Dave

Very well said Dave. Not that I was the one complaining, but you brought up points that I hadn't considered, especially the purpose of Obrams and why it was organized.

I wasn't able to shoot yesterday because we (niether my son nor I) had the experience necessary (Classification or participation in two prior Obrams events) so we decided to shoot IDPA. Given the match requirments I find it hard to belive that there were shooters who couldn't execute reloads.

Stonycurtis, no, the red letters weren't for yelling at you, just a way to distinguish my comments from your statements. I rarely yell at anyone, unless I catch Alec in my lunch bag!

By the way Alec, did you put a really fancy lighter in my range bag? Someone did, it isn't mine, and it is a really neat lighter!

The more matches I attend the more I see people show-up late and leave early and don't help anyone but themselves. This is at my club, OBRPC, and CJ, same thing occurs at both places. I think anyone that serves as an RO for most of the day should be exempt from setting-up/breaking-down, but those people also seem to be in the minority of the people that actually do help. So they are doing double and triple duty while others just skate-off into the distance..................

We had a very small group which made things go a little slow for us, but we held no other groups up. I tried my best to be the designated taper, Alec did most of the RO'ing. When you're done shooting a stage and trying to reload for the next one, someone else is getting ready to shoot, another is the RO, another person trying to tape, well, with only five people on the squad it took a little time. We got it done though, no fuss, no muss! Some of these stages were pretty intricate and required a lot of time between shooter, as you know.

This isn't directed toward anyone imperticular.

It's just a simple fact about these types of threads and how we all participate in them. My self included.

[step on to soapbox]

The last thing any match director needs is a group of people saying "Ya know what they should have done?".

Not only is it condescending, but it's so F#$@ insulting. It also adds to their growing list of reason to never run a tournament again.

Pulling off ANY shooting event is time consuming, costly and incredibly stressful.

I wouldn’t blame them for quitting… Especial when you add ungrateful shooters to the mix.

We’re lucky to have them, and hopefully they will continue to tolerate all the BS.

[steps off the soapbox]

:meeting:

Now, can we please get back to picking on Alec?

This match was a lot of fun. I had never shot in any competition like this, and I had a great time. Looking forward to more!

Great group of people too. Everyone was friendly and answered all my newbie questions and gave advice freely regarding the rules and strategies.

My shooting partner and I had to leave early to get to work, and another squad was gracious enough to let us shoot a few stages with them so we can finish. If anyone here was in that 5 man squad, thank you.

Iggy was a rock. I know my partner and I must have driven him crazy with requests and questions.

Did they award the plaques at the end of the match? If so where can I find the scores?

The scoring is probably going to take a while. Maybe a week or more. I can't speak for the group but i imagine the plaques will be given out once all the scores are reviewed.

Good to know. Thanks. Do they post the scores on the OBRAMS or the OBRPC website?

Not looking for a plaque, just want to see if I beat my buddy ;)

And seriously, thanks to everyone for being so cool and helping us shoot through so we could complete the competition. I hope Mike and I didn't slow anyone down with our shooting and we did enough helping to tape, paint, reset, score, etc... We felt bad leaving and not healpin to clean up.

Next time I shoot, I will make sure I don't have to work after. Now that I know what to expect, I am sure I will be more efficient helping with all of the ancillary stuff going on when you aren't shooting.

Now that the 2012 Multi-Gum Match is over it is time to recognize individuals and sponsors who made this Match possible. In addition, OBRAMS will also take this opportunity to address comments and complaints concerning the 2012 OBRAMS Multi- Gun Match that we heard at the Match or were posted on the NJGun Forum.

Firstly, OBRAMS would like to recognize the individuals that took a day off from work or came from work with no sleep on Friday to assist the SGM and myself in building the Stages. These individuals disregarded last Friday’s heavy rain and said:

What do you need us to do?

They should be thanked by all competitors for their work. Please see their names below.

Alec

Bcoops

NickC

Joe H.

Tom A.

Vincent F.

Secondly, OBRAMS would like to recognize our sponsors .Three of our sponsors are local “Brick and Mortar” stores:

East Brunswick Sportsmen

Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters

Caso’s Gun- A-Rama

Please thank these businesses by patronizing them and be sure to mention the OBRAMS Multi-Gun Match.

The other three sponsors are national corporations and should be thanked for their generous support to what is basically a local NY/NJ Rimfire Match

MGM Targets

Dick’s Sporting Goods ,Corporate

Dawson Precision

Now we will deal with complaints and comments:

Complaints and comments at the Match

Stage- 2 “Old McDonald is Back” aka “The Chicken From Hell”

Folks, the dreaded chicken target is nothing more than a steel silhouette target used in the gun game of Metallic Rimfire Silhouette. In that game, the steel chicken is engaged at 40 Yards , offhand with a small-bore rifle with a scope. OBRAMS feels that your average shooter should be able to successfully engage that target at both 15 and 25yards with iron sights. To those that think that the target was unfair, please note that NONE of the junior shooters had difficulty with that stage since they practice with their Rifles.

Weak-Hand / Strong-Hand Only Shooting :

OBRAMS Matches consist of Rimfire Practical Shooting. We will ALWAYS have Weak-Hand / Strong-Hand stages .The purpose of Practical Shooting Competitions is to get the competitor to safely shoot out side of their comfort zone in a “practical shooting environment’. Remember, Rimfire ammo is relatively inexpensive so practice.

Comments on NJ Gun Forum

Inaccurate Shooters:

Unfortunately, may practical shooting competitors have been introduced into the competitive shooting sports via the Action Shooting route without the benefit of formal firearms training or participating in accuracy type shooting sports like High Power Rifle or Pistol Bull’s Eye. Believe me, “Spray and Pray” is NOT the way to win a Practical Shooting Match. We witness several competitors on Stage 5 “MGM’s Nightmare” unable to hit a 5-1/4” `clay bird at 25 yard with a Rifle from a supported position. This situation has only two possible explanations, the competitors did not know his/her Zero at 25 yards or total lack of practice by the competitor. Rimfire ammo is relatively inexpensive and once again, the junior shooters quickly dealt with those Rifle Targets and rapidly moved on to the Pistol Targets. Do we see a pattern?

Slow Shooters:

Yes, we did a have our share of slow shooters but the situation was made worse by competitors not taping nor painting steel. ROs need to make sure everyone is participating in stage resets. Should the RO have a competitor that is unwilling to help out, call the SGM or myself. We will gladly give them their entry fee and ask them never to return.

Par-Times for Stages

The discussion of Par-Times for Saturday’s stages was had before and during the actual match. It is a topic that will be revisited during our winter hiatus .Enough said on this topic.

The Late Start

The OBRAMS cadre consists of basically three individuals. Two of those, the SGM and I never get to shoot our bigger matches because we are too busy dropping off equipment, building stages and solving problems during the lager matches. The registration did take longer than expected because the same two people that you saw driving the quad and the pickup truck, hanging targets and inspecting all the stages, also had to run the registration table. OBRAMS started in 2009 with 4 guys and two Stages. We now normally have 5 Stages and have approximately 36 participants at our regular matches. We have clearly outgrown our support staff at the current level of participation and are in desperate need of additional help if the quality of the matches are not going to suffer. OBRAMS is now at a fork in the road. Do we limit the number of participants at our matches and stop having large matches or do we somehow get additional support staff? Only time will tell which road OBRAMS will take.

In closing, Richard (The SGM) and I would like to thank all those participants that stayed behind to put all the equipment away under the headlights of NickC’s car. We hope ,that your hard work was rewarded by all the goodies from the prize table.

Shoot Quickly, Accurately and Safely,

Iggy Ortega

OBRAMS Match Director

Co- Chairman of OBRAMS, OBRPC

P.S. –Scores should be out soon

Thanks Steve, It was a fun day.

I wanna meet the guy that did stage 4 in 11 seconds! whoa! ( tactical division )

Thanks again Iggy & Rich for organzing the match.

I wish!! Must have been an error in scoring.. Congrats buddy!