bobblahblah

Aimpoint vs. Eotech

So I am waiting on my Spike's Tactical AR to come in, and in the mean time I am decided on which red dot to go with. I am leaning towards the Aimpoint Pro, since I have used the Comp M2 and M4. However, I have never used an Eotech CCO. I do not know much about the different models or what advantages etc they offer.

Anyone have any experience with the Eotech and Aimpoint CCOs? Which do you like better, why?

If any, what Eotech CCO would you recommend?

Also of note, this is the ST AR-15 I ordered, it has the standard FSP and not a flip front sight. I do like the tried and true standard front sight post, just in case anyone was wondering :)

http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/st15-16-midlength-le-w-9-bar-p-796.html

You are going to get alot of opinions on this one. In the end you should try them both and if possible, timed. This will determine which optic is best for you.

FWIW I have both an Eotech 517 and an Aimpoint T1 and have had zero issues with either one. The Aimpoint Pro gets great reviews but I have not used one yet personally.

Here's a link to a good article that was written a few years ago. http://demigodllc.com/articles/fighting-carbine-optics-for-the-ar-15/

Thanks for the article. Yea I like aimpoint and have never had a problem with the m2 or m4. Unfortunately I own neither an aimpoint or eotech or know anyone that has an eotech for a field comparison. So any opinions are welcome. Though I'm leaning towards aimpoint due to my experience with them.

I owned an Eotech 517 and liked it, but sold it to help pay for a Trijicon TR24.

I bought & returned an Eotech XPS2 after finding it didn't work for me.

My next purchase is probably going to be an Aimpoint Pro, based on a shooting buddies experiences since buying one.

Eotech comes in at a slightly lower price point and always includes the mount. This advantage took a bit of a hit with the release of the Aimpoint Pro, but some of the earlier 511s & 517s are going for less now, so I still think it's slight edge to Eotech on price.

The biggest downside with Eotech, compared to Aimpoint, is always going to be battery life. I don't claim to be an expert, but it costs more energy to create a hologram than to project a red dot. For someone looking for an optic for HD, this means you can't leave the Eotech on all the time, because it would go dead to quickly even if it did have an auto shut off.

One other wrinkle for Eotech's is that certain kinds of astigmatism can make the reticle look like an absolute mess. The second eotech I bought was an XPS2 and I was surprised to find that my vision seemed to have changed, as my astigmatism was warping the reticle to the point that I couldn't use it. Those with astigmatism can have similar problems with a red dot looking worm-like, but the effect is must less of an issue when it occures with a 4MOA dot [as opposed to the 65MOA boarder of the Eotech reticles]

If the above isn't an issue for someone, I think Eotechs are still relable enough for serious use in HD.

I have an EOTech 511. It has battery box problems. It no longer works. When it did work it went through batteries quickly.

I replaced it with an Aimpoint T-1 in a LaRue Lower 1/3 mount. It's perfect.

Aimpoint is the way to go - a better optic backed up by better customer service and a better warranty.

If you use the Midway promo codes listed in another thread, (30 bux off), you can pick up the Aimpoint Pro out the door for $379... I couldn't find it anywhere else for that price from a reputable dealer. Will be popping that on top of my new M1A SOCOM II... Also scheduled to arrive by next Tuesday. :)

Supposedly, the Pro can be left on for 3 years before battery croaks.