FamilyMan

Trapshooting Lessons in Northern Jersey

I'm interested in getting better at trap. Have gone around 5 times in the last 3 months and love it, but I'm not getting it.

When I do hit the clay I see it working, but when I miss I have no idea why. I'm right handed and left eyed, so I think that's the majority of the problem (at least I hope_.

Looking for some lessons in Northern Jersey. I've been going to the trap place in Fairfield - North Jersey Clay Target Club.

Have a Beretta Silver Snipe O/U in 12 gauge with 27" barrel that I'd love to start having success hitting with.

thanks,

Family Man

I've been in touch with Bruce via email in the past asking about lessons and this is what he said:

I would be delighted to work with you on the "basics" of Trapshooting at the North Jersey Clay Target Club. I definitely agree that with the proper knowledge of the basics you can progress with a lot more ease and also a lot less expensively.

A little about me - I have been shooting competitive ATA (Amateur Trapshooting Association) targets for some 42 years. I started Instructing/Coaching in 1998 (when I retired from the business world). In 2006 I was inducted into the Connecticut Trapshooting Hall of Fame and one year later, in 2007, on of my shooters won the Grand American Clay Target Ladies Title in Sparta, Illinois. I work with individuals and small groups both men and women with experience ranging from All Americans to total beginners.

What I teach and provide the shooter - I believe the shooter needs a flexible system to deal with the sport of trapshooting. We cover (a) gun fit, (b) proper gun mounting, © stance at each Post, (d) where and how to look for the emerging target, (e) we also cover a Mental Approach to the game (which after Equipment and Technique become a very important element of each shooter's game) Finally, I give each of my shooters a folder with pictures and written material which describes everything we do and talk about both on and off the range for reference and review.

Costs - I charge $110 per shooter per session (a session last about 2 hours), you pay for both targets ($5 for a 25 target round) and ammo. In the first session we probably shoot 4 boxes as a lot of information is passing between you and me.

Once you hire me you can call or email me any time with thoughts or questions. I recommend at least 4 sessions. But, it is entirely up to you how much you want us to work together. I am available at North Jersey on Tuesdays, Wednesday, Thursday, and some Saturdays (after 1 PM). Since I work at Clubs in a five State area around my home here in Bridgeport, Connecticut I need at least a week or more to "book" a slot with you. If you have any questions or just want to talk about the above please feel totally free to call or email me.

... I havent had a chance to take any lessons with him yet because of time. However, if anyone is going to Fairfield to shoot trap any time soon, I'd love to come by and watch/learn/shoot trap for the first time.