Folks, I am fairly new to the NJ Gun F. and would appreciate any views on the NJ Version of the Caslte Doctrin...I was pleasently surprised to find that we do have a Castle Doctrin Law here (given it is such a Liberal state)...NY-City for example does (not)...

According to Wikopedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_doctrine

New Jersey (Retreat required if actor knows he can avoid necessity of deadly force in complete safety, etc. EXCEPT not obliged to retreat from dwelling, unless the initial aggressor).

So I take it, if someone breaks in my house and my life is threatened, or bodily harm is threatened I may use leathal force?

Thoughts/opinions anyone?

Thanks,

-Joe

We have a castle doctrine but it is a joke in my opinion. Also, it does not protect you from a civil lawsuit. Do even if you are justified in defending your life, the bad guy's family will sue you. Nobody wins a lawsuit except the lawyers.

I am more passionate about a better castle doctrine in NJ than I am about CCW. And it would be great if a new castle doctrine addressed situations like being assaulted in your car, work, etc...

In all seriousness, would you not protect yourself or your family to the fullest extent anyway?

Exactly. You're going to do what you need to do to protect yourself and your family. I'm not going to lose any sleep worrying about lawsuits or prosecution.

Are there any examples of a clean home defense action where the home's resident was sued or where the home resident was charged by an over zealous prosecutor?

We have a castle doctrine but it is a joke in my opinion. Also, it does not protect you from a civil lawsuit. Do even if you are justified in defending your life, the bad guy's family will sue you. Nobody wins a lawsuit except the lawyers.

I am more passionate about a better castle doctrine in NJ than I am about CCW. And it would be great if a new castle doctrine addressed situations like being assaulted in your car, work, etc...

I agree. As I've posted before, we tend to get worked up in a lather about our inability to CCW while practically ignoring the gaping holes in our Castle Laws while in our own homes. Just the concept of safely retreating and the possibility of civil suits is maddening.

Still I hear precious little about any attempt to strengthen and simplify the laws and protect us from punishing suits.Issues that I believe we have a better chance of addressing and winning than CCW, hi cap mags,banned guns et al.