dtown223

Shipping a handgun to Glock

So, I need to send a handgun back to Glock for replacement, so now im on the hook for the shipping costs, as well a transfer fee, and permit.

From what I've read the USPS will not allow handguns to be shipped by an individual.

FedEx will ship, but must be 2nd day, which is quite expensive..

I have seen FFL dealers on gunbroker who ship handguns USPS priority mail though, is this only available to FFL's?

I'm thinkin it may be cheaper to have an FFL ship this gun for me..

anyone have experience with this?

It gets worse. FedEx and USP require Priority Overnight. If you are shipping to Georgia, count on $50. Get A FedEx personal account. It doesn't cost anything and will save you 10% on shipping. Doing it through an FFL will probably work out to the same. A $35 transfer plus $10-15 to ship it US Post Office (only an FFL can ship a handgun through US Mail).

It generally works out better to use an FFL when you are shipping west of the Mississippi.

Thanks Lunker!

I'll get a FedEx personal account today, assuming its an online signup.

As for a $35 transfer fee, I may have to take a look at that fees sticky again..

stings a little sinking 100$ + into a "like new" handgun, but I rolled the dice on the dreaded "ambi mag release" 21SF and lost..

silver lining is I get a brandy new gun!

What's wrong with the gun. Can't they use the same frame so you don't have the permit hassle

This model glock

21sf w the ambi mag release is subject to a no questions recall, what happens is they won't drop a loaded mag, and stop the slide..

Glock policy is to replace the entire frame, no questions, which they were very glad to do, but either way, I'm gonna have to ship/transfer/burn P2P

so I asked for a replacement, and they agreed, no problem.

This model glock 21sf w the ambi mag release is subject to a no questions recall

I repeat - they should be paying the shipping. Some manufacturers will stamp your old serial number on the new frame, precluding any transfer issues. Not sure you need to transfer back through a dealer, even if the serial number changes.

I repeat - they should be paying the shipping. Some manufacturers will stamp your old serial number on the new frame, precluding any transfer issues. Not sure you need to transfer back through a dealer, even if the serial number changes.

I'll be calling back to follow up on this today, thanks, maybe theyll make a new frame with my old serial # on it,

as far as having a new serial #, i assumed (I know, what happens) that since its a new pistol, different serial #, that a P2P would be required, I'm more than a little iffy on receiving a handgun at my residence that I don't have paperwork for.

them again, if I had read your post, I might've written something different.

as I understood it, the policy was to replace, and I inquired on the serial # issue, which is when he offered to replace it.

Some manufacturers will stamp your old serial number on the new frame, precluding any transfer issues. Not sure you need to transfer back through a dealer, even if the serial number changes.

I had the same exact model Glock with the same exact problem. Glock replaced the frame. I asked if they could transfer the serial # to the new frame. I was told by Glock and other credible sources that this practice is illegal (it might have been legal at one time). You will be getting a new pistol with a new serial number. It will have to be shipped to a NJ FFL and you will need a new P2P.

I got lucky because the place I bought it at (Meltzers) shipped it to Glock for me for free. I would ask for a shipping tag from Glock.

Shipping a handgun yourself out of NJ is a grey area. Is it legal for you to take it to a mailing center? I would feel much better if UPS or fedex picked it up from my house. Also, I inqured once at UPS about shipping a handgun. The national customer service said yes, no problem. So I called the local UPS center in Secuacus and talked to the manager about shipping a pistol. He said no way, not unless I was a cop. True or not, i dont know, but If I have to ship any pistol out of NJ for any reason I just use my FFL. It's worth the extra money for peace of mind.

BTW, if a new pistol shows up at your door with a new serial number that is not registred to you, you become a felon.

Thanks All,

I'm gonna see if glock will pay for the shipping, FedEx clearly states on their website that they will ship, but it must be from a main hub, and must be priority overnight, so it'll be nice if glock will pick up the tab.

As far as anything coming to my door with a serial other than the one I have paper for, not gonna happen, the return address is my FFL, and there's a copy of the FFL enclosed in the case.

Thanks All,

I'm gonna see if glock will pay for the shipping, FedEx clearly states on their website that they will ship, but it must be from a main hub, and must be priority overnight, so it'll be nice if glock will pick up the tab.

As far as anything coming to my door with a serial other than the one I have paper for, not gonna happen, the return address is my FFL, and there's a copy of the FFL enclosed in the case.

Another thing I forgot to mention. It might actually be cheaper for you to use true value hardware in LIncoln Park, NJ to ship it for you. They are an FFL and they can use the US post office and do not have to ship overnight. Last time I sold a pistol, I shipped it from True Value, it cost me $35 for everthing.

Yeah, don't worry. Glock will not ship a new serial # gun to a resident of NJ anyway. They are smarter than that.

Is it legal for you to take it to a mailing center? Why not? NJ sux but don't be paranoid!

BTW, if a new pistol shows up at your door with a new serial number that is not registred to you, you become a felon. This is very debateable

though I don't think I want to get mixed-up in a mess like that

I've shipped my STI back to the factory myself and had it delivered back to me at home and no problem.

Two issues and they are NJ issues. #1 accuiring a new pistol with no Permit to Purchase even though there is NO purchase and #2 records for disposal of the pistol you already have registered with the state. Keep all you paper work related to the transaction and staple it to your copy of you permit to purchase. IMHO no need to notify NJSP of the disposal as it is likely to be destroyed in a responcible manner.

I've shipped my STI back to the factory myself and had it delivered back to me at home and no problem.

Two issues and they are NJ issues. #1 accuiring a new pistol with no Permit to Purchase even though there is NO purchase and #2 records for disposal of the pistol you already have registered with the state. Keep all you paper work related to the transaction and staple it to your copy of you permit to purchase. IMHO no need to notify NJSP of the disposal as it is likely to be destroyed in a responcible manner.

What carrier did you use to ship it? And did you have to declare that it was a gun?

I was right there when Meltzers had the State Police firearms division on the phone trying to argue that it was a replacement and not a new purchase. There was no way I could take possesion of that pistol without a new P2P. They clearly stated I would become a Felon if I did.

What carrier did you use to ship it? And did you have to declare that it was a gun?

I was a couple of years ago and I honestly don't remember. I think it was UPS and I had to go to the hub.

I was right there when Meltzers had the State Police firearms division on the phone trying to argue that it was a replacement and not a new purchase. There was no way I could take possesion of that pistol without a new P2P. They clearly stated I would become a Felon if I did.

I like Meltzers, very customer oriented. Yep! said I wouldn't get mixed up in that mess. Did that scare you? That was their intent weither absolutely true or not.

If Glock doesn't send a call tag, why not go back to the dealer you bought it from. You can send it to Glock yourself through UPS. At $50 I would use the true value place IMO.

This was a private purchase, so I'm flyin solo on this one!

spoke with the folks @ Lincoln park true value and they said "no sweat, bring it in, and we'll take care of it"

so, it'll go out on Monday, I just hope my permits are in by the time it comes back!

If it's any help I just sent a pistol to Springfield Armory. They sent me the shipping label but it was Fedex Second Day. Don't know the cost, but it had to be dropped off at a hub- not just any old Fedex box. They have to scan it to activate insurance, etc. That's the excuse anyway.

I had the same exact model Glock with the same exact problem. Glock replaced the frame. I asked if they could transfer the serial # to the new frame. I was told by Glock and other credible sources that this practice is illegal (it might have been legal at one time). You will be getting a new pistol with a new serial number. It will have to be shipped to a NJ FFL and you will need a new P2P.

I got lucky because the place I bought it at (Meltzers) shipped it to Glock for me for free. I would ask for a shipping tag from Glock.

Shipping a handgun yourself out of NJ is a grey area. Is it legal for you to take it to a mailing center? I would feel much better if UPS or fedex picked it up from my house. Also, I inqured once at UPS about shipping a handgun. The national customer service said yes, no problem. So I called the local UPS center in Secuacus and talked to the manager about shipping a pistol. He said no way, not unless I was a cop. True or not, i dont know, but If I have to ship any pistol out of NJ for any reason I just use my FFL. It's worth the extra money for peace of mind.

BTW, if a new pistol shows up at your door with a new serial number that is not registred to you, you become a felon.

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

You can certainly take you gun to the shipping center for repairs. The gun will be unloaded and sealed in a package. Whoever told you at UPS that they won't ship a gun unless you are a cop is full of it and doesn't know what he is talking about. Please don't scare everyone with your paranoia. The only thing you can't do is ship USPS.

Wrong, wrong and wrong.

You can certainly take you gun to the shipping center for repairs. The gun will be unloaded and sealed in a package. Whoever told you at UPS that they won't ship a gun unless you are a cop is full of it and doesn't know what he is talking about. Please don't scare everyone with your paranoia. The only thing you can't do is ship USPS.

Like I said true or not, they were not going to let me ship the pistol. I'm not trying to scare anyone with paranoia. This was my experience with the secaucus UPS hub. Give it a try.

And again I found it cheaper to ship from true value because they don't have to overnight.