I'm thinking about picking up a SOG Flash 2 for a general utility knife. My only question (other than serrated vs straight) is if the Zytel handle is rubberized at all. The current knife that I use is a cheap walmart knife, and the frame is a little rubberized, probably for better grip, but when I try to clip it in my pocket, it's very difficult because it won't slide easily. Any idea if the Flash 2 would have that problem?

These are the particular ones I'm looking at, unless someone points me to a better one. I'm not looking to spend much more than about $40 since I don't really use them that often.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000IXC7IW/

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00007E1M1/

I am a fan of plain edge. As for the knifes ability to be retrieved from you pocket, you should have little to no trouble. The handle is plastic/zytel and the material and does not get hung up on the pocket material. It is a deep carry clip so there is less to hold to when retrieving the knife. I crazy glued the safety on mine. With my luck, the one time I need to deploy the knife quickly the safety would engage. Overall I like the knife. It does not see a lot of carry time, mostly due to too many knives and too few pockets :)

I have a Kershaw Black Out which is in the same price range and my brother has the Flash II. I like the Flash's upside down carry clip and the Flash opens faster (stronger spring I guess) but for everything else I prefer the Kershaw.

I also have half serrated and wish I had gone with the plain edge.

I own 2 Flashes and like them both. I bought the zebra stripe one about 4 years ago and just recently bought the other plain stainless at Lowes on an impulsive buy. Both have have serated edges which I like. Great quality for the money. As a bonus, you can buy the plain SS version at Lowes. So if you get harassed about using it for work or self defense, you didn't order it from some baby killer website. Having the, "I bought it at Lowes" makes it that less evil.

FWIW, once they are broken in, I can open it faster with a flick of the wrist then I can using the assist. And the upside clip to me works much better. You can change from righty to goofy if you need to.

Edit - I see you are in Oak Ridge. The Lowes on 23 in Riverdale has them.

I have a Flash 2 that I bought almost 10 years ago, and I love it. It isn't as sharp as my Kershaw's but it does the job as a good EDC knife.

FWIW, once they are broken in, I can open it faster with a flick of the wrist then I can using the assist. And the upside clip to me works much better. You can change from righty to goofy if you need to.

Careful with that... If you can flick it open by applying centrifugal force, it meets the definition of a gravity knife in NJ (2C:39-1h). I know about the whole "explainable lawful purpose" but you should just be aware that your knife meets that definition.

Thanks for the heads up. But I can flick open just about any broken-in folder. Even the Buck 110 / 112. My point is, the assist is no faster then someone with knife skills.