Xchange1980

Question about FID Card

So basically Ive been waiting 2 months for my Initial FID & a P2P. I went there today and the lady who does the FID cards said that both of my towns I previously lived in Elizabeth& North Plainfield have yet after 2 months to respond to her requests for what i guess would be if i have any arrest records on said towns. She told me if they would have responded I would have had my FID a month ago. So what do i do now? She said I could go to the towns myself and request the information but was told by another town cop I know that I couldnt,or do I get a lawyer? Im just stumped. And reason I need it is I have a hunting trip planned at the end of the month and want to make sure I have it by then.

Yes this is my initial FID Card which is why i am confused on what information they need from my previous residence township police, wouldnt all my arrest records(was never asrrested) come up in my backround check? Im just confused and frustrated. One police officer said what she needs is a letter of good conduct from the 2 Police Depts of my previous residences . :unsure:

So an actual police officer (not an admin person) told you that these "Good Conduct Letters' were REQUIRED for them to process an FPID and P2P app? What town is this? Do they have this requirement written down at all, in any of the material you got from them? If this is the case, I must say it's one of the worst abuses I have heard of, almost as bad as requiring in person interviews of your references. Get thee to NJ2AS---www.nj2as.com, and/or search out the NJ2AS people on this forum, they have an ongoing project to straighten out this sort of thing.

Yes this is my initial FID Card which is why i am confused on what information they need from my previous residence township police, wouldnt all my arrest records(was never asrrested) come up in my backround check? Im just confused and frustrated. One police officer said what she needs is a letter of good conduct from the 2 Police Depts of my previous residences . :unsure:

Just wanted to add that Xchange1980 and I have been discussing this for a few weeks since we are both in Plainfield, and I was also told my P2P is being held up waiting to hear back from North Plainfield. It's been just over 7 weeks since I dropped off my forms, which isn't that long considering how some of these go though. I've had my FPID card since 2006 and I'm still at the same address.

The whole thing seems strange since I had no problem getting my FPID and P2P in 2006, and my wife just got both of her's earlier this year in less than 2 months. She had the same 2 residences as I've had for the last 10 years.

Again, contact the New Jersey 2nd Amendment Society, and let them know that Plainfield PD has this strange requirement. Search this forum for the threads regarding additional forms for FPID and P2P, the contacts for NJ2AS are in there. Whining on the interwebs about it does no good, you have to take action.

My police department tried to use nonsense like this to delay my FID and purchase permits. I eventually filed a formal complaint with the mayor's office (naming every officer and civilian employee who gave me a hard time about it). Two days later, my FID and permits were magically approved and they called me to tell me I could pick them up anytime.

But I would recommend what the others suggested, join and contact the NJ 2AS and learn from them how to proceed. They may help you get an attorney's help in moving forward. They have been kicking the ass of many police departments, including Asbury Park, for requiring additional documents and disclosures in violation of state law.

Again, contact the New Jersey 2nd Amendment Society, and let them know that Plainfield PD has this strange requirement. Search this forum for the threads regarding additional forms for FPID and P2P, the contacts for NJ2AS are in there. Whining on the interwebs about it does no good, you have to take action.

Its not a additional form I filled out, its them(Plainfield PD) contacting other towns for "unknown" reasons but ive heard its for a letter of good conduct. But yes I joined NJ2AS today ,and I sent a PM to 2 forum memebrs i believe to be linked to NJ2AS

Additional forms, additional letters from places you used to live, phone calls to towns you lived in years ago, having you do a mexican hat dance while the Plainfied PD throws rotten meat at you, whatever. It's wrong, and possibly illegal. Stand up, remember that the local PD (indeed all LEO) works FOR YOU. Complain and complain again, if you do nothing they will continue to make things up like this.

Additional forms, additional letters from places you used to live, phone calls to towns you lived in years ago, having you do a mexican hat dance while the Plainfied PD throws rotten meat at you, whatever. It's wrong, and possibly illegal. Stand up, remember that the local PD (indeed all LEO) works FOR YOU. Complain and complain again, if you do nothing they will continue to make things up like this.

Well I contacted them and hopefully I will get some response and get my FID Card soon, Thanks for all the info

So basically there is no need for them to contact the PD of my previous places of residence??. And this PD i am dealing with is Plainfield PD

i live in plainfield aswell. i applied for my initial FPID and 3 permits in november last year and didnt get it until may. the lady at the desk, Phyllis i believe her name is, is very nice but the officers i dealt with were pretty rude and gave me the run around. i lived in scotch plains and N plainfield years previously and did not have to or was told they need my records from those towns. and when i got it they had misspelled my last name on the FPID card and miss spelled some information on my permits. i want to apply for more permits but i dont want it to take long again. lol

Well I called the NJSP Firearms Investagation Unit and spoke to a Sgt and he told me they can request a records check i.e. calls to my previous address for domestic calls etc... so now i just feel like im screwed but im not gonna give up and im calling the towns myself and also calling the mayor of the town.

* And someone from NJ2AS was nice enough to also send a E-Mail to the NJSP Firearms Investagation Unit on my behalf.

Well after contacting NJ2AS and the NJSP Firearms Investigation Unit the 2 towns who were not responding to my PD's request magically both showed the same day, now it didnt prevent them from doing so, but from what i got from the NJSP a Lieutenant did say well there technically not suppose to do that but if they really want to they can do whatever they feel fit to do there investigation. But overall im happy i got a response and was helped out, so im hoping next week ill have my FID&P2P