Barms

talk to me about lead..

Not that i'm paranoid, i just like to be informed. Someone briefly discuss the different kinds of ammo and pros/cons of the way the lead is propelled from the barrel. For example, i have read things like the difference between "plated" vs jacketed (the plated has lead exposure on the back, or vice versa). Lets keep it strictly handgun ammo discussion for now (so we won't get into rifle muzzle breaks and lead exposure to the side).

I know there is a whole other debate about how lead affects the barrel, but right now i just want to learn about lead for health reasons. So maybe if someone can do a primer on the different kinds of bullets (FMJ, plated..etc) and what a shooter needs to know..

thanks!

but again, i'd rather not get into a debate about whether lead exposure, in the grand scheme of all other dangerous things around my body, is dangerous or not.. that's a different topic. Right now i'd just like to know what my options are for ammo.

I have been shooting for about 45 years and have been a firearms instructor for nearly 40 years. I've been exposed to millions of rounds being fired on indoor and outdoor ranges (many of the indoor ranges required extensive modifications to meet OSHA standards), handled millions of rounds of ammo, reloaded at least several hundre thousand rounds of ammo, and cleaned guns at least 5-10,000 times. This has been with lead and jacketed bullets. 95% of my handgun reloading is with lead bullets. I have taken no extraordinary measures. I wash my hands well when I'm done and before I eat. I've had lead levels tested periodically over the past 15-20 years and the results have always been nil. My children are all grown up with no ill effects.

I think some overthink the issue of using plain lead bullets but that's their choice and what they feel comfortable with.

Lead bullets do no harm to your barrel. They generate less wear than jacketed bullets. If they are sized and loaded properly leading in the barrel will be minimal. Use gas checks and you can drive lead bullets to well over 2000 fps.

The only caveat as far as guns go is Glock's warranty is voided if you use lead bullets.

You can wear a Tyvek suit and use a respirator and gloves but I don't feel it necessary.

Lead around children and pregnant women is another issue.

Thanks for the concerns/info.. but i was really interested knowing more about different kinds of ammo, rather than asking about what the health risks are to lead exposure..

I was hoping to get info about different KINDS of jacketed/non-jacketed/all lead.. etc ammo.. Like is there anybody on this board that says "i shoot <fill in> because not only does it run good in my pistol, but it has less lead exposure..." ??

but lunker thanks for the PSA..

I've been reloading lead bullets from Missouri Bullet company for a few months now, they're cheap, load fine and shoot fine. I just make it an effort to wash my hands after loading.

That being said, I did just make a large order (6,000 bullets) for some Bayou bullets, lead bullets with a coating on them. So i'll see how those go.

http://www.missouribullet.com/

http://www.bayoubullets.net/products.html

-Alec

I have cut way back on my lead bullet use due to having cancer, i dealt with allot of chemicals over the years and had to basically eliminate my exposure to all chemicals..

Just be cautious while using lead bullets and you will not have a problem..

Washing your hands afterwards is the most important rule to reloading lead.

If you are shooting indoors make sure the ventilation system is on.. And that it works even though it is running.. I can tell you at brick armory if someone is close to you shooting lead the ventilation to me is inadequate.. Says my nose when you go home and blow it and the tissue is black..

I reload my own .45acp ciz i want to save. When my buddy intruduce me to lead bullet, the more i save. "A LOT". but during my regular check up on my 1911, i notice lead on my barrel. And i also notice the gun is dirtier after my range visit