Sign in to follow this  
TheDon

Overwhelmed by the Scope Market

I am looking to put scopes on my M1A and Rem 700 VTR. My range in NJ is 300 yards and the range near my parents home in PA is 500 yards. So I am thinking a variable with something like 24x at the top end.

There has to be 200+ scope brands and price ranges from $30 to $3,000.

I would appreciate some recommendations for brands to focus my research on.

I am thinking ~$700 should be a good budget, but am willing to pay more for quality if I have to.

My primary considerations are:

1. Mildot

2. Ease of use for a nube to long-range shooting

3. Ruggedness to bangs and bumps. More than bench rest, I want to take my rifles into the field and not worry about a delicate scope.

Also, I am thinking about getting the same scope for both rifles (both in .308) for consistency.

Thanks for your advice.

Edited by TheDon

Out to 500yds you will be fine with just a 10x fixed power milldot scope. 10x fixed will take you out to 800-1000yds depending on your eyesight. SImple adjustments and range estimating (mildots usually only work on 1 power setting anyway). 10x fixed power is what military snipers use. I have a SWFA SS 10x42 mildot. They are $300 and compare to much more expensive glass. This scope can be used for any caliber. I currently have one mounted on a Rem 700 SPS Tactical 308 and take it out to 300yds at Cherry Ridge with pinpoint accuracy.

I dont think I ever found a bad review on them.

http://swfa.com/SWFA...scope-P499.aspx

Here is a review from snipercentral:

http://www.snipercentral.com/ss1042.phtml

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice.

One question for diamondd:

Wouldn't a 10x fixed kind of lock you into ranges beyond 200 yds. If you target presents itself at say 100 or less yards, wouldn't you have too narrow a field of view to make it practical?

Just asking so I can learn. As stated in my OP, I am a nube to shooting at range beyond 100 yards.

Wouldn't a 10x fixed kind of lock you into ranges beyond 200 yds. If you target presents itself at say 100 or less yards, wouldn't you have too narrow a field of view to make it practical?

No. You can use the 10x scope to shoot 100yds, even 50yds. But yes, the closer your target the narrower your field of view (FOV @100yds =13'). You will be surprised at how versatile a 10x fixed power scope is. I actually sold a Zeiss 4.5-14x scope and replaced it with the SS 10x and find making adjustments are much faster and simpler.

If you are looking for fast/moving target shooting at close ranges you could mount a red dot on top of your scope.

1.Mount your scope with Burris Tatical rings

2.Get the Burris Picatinny top for the rings

3. Mount Red Dot such as Burris FastFire atop the ring

I would spend a little more and get a Sightron 6-24x with the new moa-2 reticle. It would cost you around $850 shipped. Beautiful glass, quality scope, consistent tracking, and an awesome reticle. Sightron has an excellent reputation. He is a link from a vendor:

http://www.libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/d86.html

I would spend a little more and get a Sightron 6-24x with the new moa-2 reticle. It would cost you around $850 shipped. Beautiful glass, quality scope, consistent tracking, and an awesome reticle. Sightron has an excellent reputation. He is a link from a vendor:

http://www.libertyoptics.com/contents/en-us/d86.html

Big +1 for the Sightron. S3 series are side focus, only thing I would go 4X16 not a higher power.

IMHO Sightron is the most bang for the buck out there. Excellent Japanese quality, incredibly bright optics and VERY repeatable adustments. If you dial up, down, left or right it goes right back to where it was set.

I like my Weaver Tactical 3-15x50, lands in the $700 range. I'm no scope expert, but I came to the conclusion via interwebs research (including NJGF's) that Weaver and Sightron were both the "best bang for the buck" companies to look into for what I wanted.

I got the Sightron III. I also ordered a mount, rings, and set of good flip-up caps. It all came to a little more than $900.

Dummy me left the receipt sitting on my desk and the wife found it. The scope is now my Christmas present. I will need to wait 2 1/2 months before I can try it out. :(